X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the Gate as an extra stasis 'pod'

Just had an absolutely crazy idea pop into my head-

Since it's been established that:
    1. The Stargate stores outbound and inbound objects in a storage buffer prior to transmission/rematerialisation
    2. This buffer is nonvolatile over macrosopic periods of time (at least 48 hours, as shown in the SG-1 episode of the same name
    3. A stargate can be programmed to 'store' inbound objects in it's buffer for later processing, such as forwarding (used by Anubis as a security system, and in the design of the Intergalactic Gate Bridge)

Wouldn't it be possible to program the Destiny gate to store an object in its buffer (like, say, Eli), store it, shut down, and then rematerialise (or forward) the stored object after some arbitrary time limit has elapsed?

- SGU gates are much older.

- some concern that the information would fade with time. Even in that other SG episode about such an event.

- if someone else dials in or Destiny auto-dials out, the buffer is erased

- Had SGU continued and the final episode was an actual episode on that time frame. I fully expect the LA to dial in before 3 years is up. To be greeted with vacuum, but again the buffer would be erased.

- And of course that's probably not one of Daniels videos so Eli is blissfully unaware of that possibility.

Comment

Arania, have you by any chance hacked my computer and copied my SGU Seasoon 3 file?

Comment

Problem with doing any of that is the requirement of a DHD in to properly reintegrate the buffer back into a person. Milky Way DHDs were pretty much designed to have fail safes for almost everything, so much so that '48 Hours' wouldn't have happened if a proper DHD had been used in the SGC. So I can't really see the remote devices for SGU gates being that complex.

I believe another problem would how would Eli get stored in the gate to begin with? He'd have to go offworld, then return to the ship (to be stored in the buffer) and doing so would require stopping and using extra additional power to use the gate. I doubt he'd do anything that would drain one watt from the ship to make sure it arrives in the new galaxy on schedule to charge again.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Problem with doing any of that is the requirement of a DHD in to properly reintegrate the buffer back into a person. Milky Way DHDs were pretty much designed to have fail safes for almost everything, so much so that '48 Hours' wouldn't have happened if a proper DHD had been used in the SGC. So I can't really see the remote devices for SGU gates being that complex.
          AFAIK, they didn't need a DHD for the reintegration/forwarding process on the Pegasus Gate Bridge, they just instructed the recieving gate to store, rather than reintegrate the inbound matter stream before forwarding it. Since the instruction is being sent to the gate itself, it can be reasonably assumed that a DHD isn't required.
          That just leaves the issue of if the SGU gates can even be reprogrammed in such a manner, although since they function much in the same manner (range limitation notwithstanding), it stands to reason that at least the capability is there.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          I believe another problem would how would Eli get stored in the gate to begin with? He'd have to go offworld, then return to the ship (to be stored in the buffer) and doing so would require stopping and using extra additional power to use the gate. I doubt he'd do anything that would drain one watt from the ship to make sure it arrives in the new galaxy on schedule to charge again.
          In this case, the real question is whether the gate dial-out would consume more power overall than keeping life support running for 3 weeks.
          A bigger issue is how Eli would avoid getting shot by drones if he needed to use an offworld gate to dial back in from

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
          - if someone else dials in or Destiny auto-dials out, the buffer is erased
          IIRC correctly they never ran into this issue with the Gate Bridge (where the gate needs to dial the next one in the sequence while storing a buffered pattern), which implies that buffered patterns can survive through an activation, at least in certain circmstances (or with certain overrides)

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Arania, have you by any chance hacked my computer and copied my SGU Seasoon 3 file?
          Maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by Arania View Post
            Maybe...
            hmmm....its a good thing I changed it then...

Comment

Working...
            X