Did they think the crew were Ancients ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pond Hopper View Post
    The difference between Atlantis and Destiny being that Atlantis had a large population of Ancients living in it for 5-10 million years whereas Destiny was unmanned; The most Destiny might have is an instruction manual and a copy of its warranty.
    So who was is Greatest Ancient Hero then? You know the guy flying across galaxies in his ascended suit and cape trying to get to Destiny.
    sigpic
    Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      The ship never had a crew, so why would it have an archive? At best, it might have a footnote about its designers.
      Spoiler:
      They find the Kilroy was here graffiti in Season 3
      sigpic
      Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Originally posted by UniverseSizePlotHole View Post
        So who was is Greatest Ancient Hero then? You know the guy flying across galaxies in his ascended suit and cape trying to get to Destiny.
        Okay, i'm putting it on record right now that if Syfy ever does a show called "Greatest Ancient Hero" and that was the plot, i would TOTALLY watch that.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
          For exactly the same reason Humans did it, when we built sent the Pioneer and Voyager probes out. To let aliens know a little about the race that made the ship, even if it is as little as being bipedal mammalian derivates.

Pioneer's plaque had etched humans, as well as a roadmap to Sol. The Golden Records on the Voyager probes had infomation on Earth's culture, history, location, in the event that anyone out there picks it up. Is it really so far fetched to believe that the Ancients were just as optimistic as their progeny?
          At first this came to mind as well, but then I realised that there is a slight difference in the missions and I'll explain it simply as follows. Earth puts albums and stuff into their exploratory craft because we have n00b tech and want to make friends. The Ancients on the other hand are already high and mighty and are seeding the galaxy for their own purpose, and playing god by maybe even planting the seeds for live. There may also be a completely different motive we are not aware of such as Destiny's mission. From the Ancient's perspective they would not care about making friends with aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
            At first this came to mind as well, but then I realised that there is a slight difference in the missions and I'll explain it simply as follows. Earth puts albums and stuff into their exploratory craft because we have n00b tech and want to make friends. The Ancients on the other hand are already high and mighty and are seeding the galaxy for their own purpose, and playing god by maybe even planting the seeds for live. There may also be a completely different motive we are not aware of such as Destiny's mission. From the Ancient's perspective they would not care about making friends with aliens.
            Exactly. Putting you name on things and telling everyone about yourself is a very juvenile thing to do as a race. Sure it serves a purpose early on but just like wearing boxer shorts, you grow out of it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
              Were they all that high and mighty at that time in their civilisation? Genuine question, since the whole Ancient timeline and Destiny is a bit hazy for me.

And yes, Destiny's mission was probably vastly different from the four disposable bottles we threw into the ocean, which will probably never be discovered.

However, despite Phenom believing it to be juvenile, there is a certain logic to putting a friendly "we don't want trouble" on something unmanned, especially if there is potential to bump into another space faring race. An intelligent ship carrying the amount of firepower Destiny (and presumably the seeders) does could easily be seen as a prelude to invasion. Whether the Ancients wanted to make friends out there or not, it is undeniable that Destiny and the seeders would be making a lot of first contacts given how abundant life seems to be in the SGU universe (3 alien races in a little over a season has to be a SG record), and someone/thing on board to tell the aliens that Destiny is on a peaceful mission, to me, makes sense.

Comment

yeah, I think it's likely
                whoever is on Destiny is going to be seen to be Ancient
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I still would like to see a story where they come across a colony of Ancients who haven't evolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                    I still would like to see a story where they come across a colony of Ancients who haven't evolved.
                    Yeah there should be some... a planet full of them that cut off outside contact or something. Though on earth they intermingled with humans and in the Milky Way galaxy at least it seems like not every human civilization was actually a transplant of earth humans so... really they do exist in a way.

Comment

If we found them though they would be dead by the end of the episode.

Comment

Knoing our luck, it would be us that killed them>

Comment

They think Telford is an ancient and he gains their trust thus leading them to victory over the blue man group

Comment

All hail telford!

Comment

Working...
                            X