them ancient stones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

them ancient stones...

ok so in that ep where Simeon suddenly acquires super-soldier powers, it is basically stated that when 2 people are connected, killing one somehow kills the other - matrix-style death ? - thereby effectively killing common sense (as well as turning this Ancient device from a very useful means of communication into an extremely dangerous piece of crap -)

now this ep suggests a slightly more plausible alternative, that the remaining person can survive - but that they can still be killed if they are in a very weakened state or something. in other words the death of one person somehow causes so much trauma to the remaining person that they may die of what, shock ?

I'd imagine that the cutting of the connection would cause some kind of "feedback".

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
    (as well as turning this Ancient device from a very useful means of communication into an extremely dangerous piece of crap -)
    You're surprised that an Ancient created device should turn out to be a highly dangerous nuisance. These are the people who invented Project Acturus, the time traveling Puddle Jumper and the Attero Device.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
      I'd imagine that the cutting of the connection would cause some kind of "feedback".

You're surprised that an Ancient created device should turn out to be a highly dangerous nuisance. These are the people who invented Project Acturus, the time traveling Puddle Jumper and the Attero Device.
      yup. this here is different, it's more than just a side effect or a bug or something. plus it's supposed to be a communication device not a power generator, a time travel gimmick or a weapon. communication ain't supposed to imply risk, yet here they've turned even that concept into a sudden death game. lol. basically it's like the device itself is purposely designed to harm/kill the other person by sending a feedback wave, they should've been able to fix this :/

Comment

I'd guess they probably designed them with responsible use in mind.

Here's a hammer. We're not going to make it rubber tipped because you're not supposed to hit yourself with it, and if you're dumb enough to, you get what's coming to you.

You know?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah I imagine that the Ancients probably used them much more responsibly, just swap in give a report or briefing and swap back unlike the Earthlings who use them for extended periods of R and R or just to have a chat with their mum.

But still when the Ancient who designed it presented his idea and said "two people on opposite sides of the universe swap their minds into each others bodies". You would think that one of the first things his peers would bring up would be, what if one of them dies while swapped?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I'd guess they probably designed them with responsible use in mind.

Here's a hammer. We're not going to make it rubber tipped because you're not supposed to hit yourself with it, and if you're dumb enough to, you get what's coming to you.

You know?
            yeah they should've designed it with common sense in mind

here's a cellphone, we're gonna add a built-in grenade because you're not supposed to drop it to the ground, and if you're careless enough to, you get what you deserve!

Comment

That's not really the same thing. Following the cell-phone analogy--don't drive with it, or don't plug it into a power sub-station. Don't do colossally stupid things that it wasn't designed for and nothing bad will happen to you.

I refer back to my hammer analogy.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That's not really the same thing. Following the cell-phone analogy--don't drive with it, or don't plug it into a power sub-station. Don't do colossally stupid things that it wasn't designed for and nothing bad will happen to you.

I refer back to my hammer analogy.
                nope, that'd be more like saying "dont drive, and nothing bad will happen to you or the person you're talking to"
                quite sure being assassinated by a homicidal maniac while just sitting in a cell is not a planned thing nor is it colossally stupid on the victim's part (though it is colossally unfortunate). but, to refer back to my cellphone analogy, dropping an iphone to the ground definitely is

so hammers are designed for communicating ? rather violent means of communication isn't it ?

Comment

imagine if talkie walkies had the same feature : the person you're talking to has a heart attack, you die with them

Comment

The hammer analogy fails because no one is going to intentionally die while using the stones.
                    Having an accident or an explosion in your vicinity or being murdered while using the stones is not because the person was using the stones wrong, it is out of their control.

As I said, "What if one of them dies?" should have been brought up very early in the process when the Ancients were designing the stones.
                    In my opinion the feedback from the cut connection would be unavoidable but if the person on the other end was fit and healthy they would survive, probably just be out cold for a few hours/days.

Comment

Again--responsible use. They're for communication--hey, here's my report from the other side of the galaxy. Not for using while running through radiation or juggling grenades.

Comment

As I said, "What if one of them dies?" should have been brought up very early in the process when the Ancients were designing the stones.
                        yup. definitely sounds like very ****ty design :/

Again--responsible use. They're for communication--hey, here's my report from the other side of the galaxy. Not for using while running through radiation or juggling grenades.
                        k then let the person getting killed be the only one responsible, not the other person on the other side of the universe who ain't even aware of what's going on. they're for communication not warfare, since when is communication supposed to be a risky business ?

Comment

Obviously, but accidents can always happen and it does not mean the stones were used irresponsibly.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                          yup. definitely sounds like very ****ty design :/
                          You didn't read the rest of my post, I went on to say that I think the design would allow a fit and healthy person to survive if the other one died. The feedback is unavoidable, but a fit and healthy person should survive. I don't think the Ancients ever intended for someone like Amanda Perry to use the stones, their advanced medical technology and later healing abilities probably meant that they didn't have people in her condition.

Comment

You didn't read the rest of my post, I went on to say that I think the design would allow a fit and healthy person to survive if the other one died.
                            and you didn't get the gist of mine : basically I agree :/ but hey for the sake of it : it's still ****ty design. why would the feedback be unavoidable, the stones are essentially a data transfer device (memories are swapped, kinda like 2 hard drives exchanging their files), and even though it's a communication gadget the 2 people do not communicate with each other - it's a one-shot deal. the device would only keep track of the two so it can swap them back at any time. and most important: even if it's unavoidable, why the hell would such feedback be dangerous. it's just a "mind thing" so worse case scenario it should only cause a strong emotional shock or something

what exactly was Amanda Perry's condition ?

Comment

My bad on not getting the gist of your post, you know the whole "conveying tone over the internet" issue.

Well I would think that some sort of feedback would be inevitable as there must be some sort of subspace connection. But the more I think about it, the more I agree with you that it shouldn't really harm the person on the other end. It should be that once the minds are swapped that's it until they swap back, if I swap with someone and the person in my body breaks my nose I wouldn't feel it or even know it had happened while I was in their body. So why should the death of one body translate through the connection when physical injuries and pain do not? Seems it should all translate through or none of it should.

Amanda Perry's condition was a lifelong quadriplegic who had muscular dystrophy or whatever it was she had, so generally a very weak and frail body which I theorized could not endure the trauma that a healthy body could.
                              However my theory is wrong because when Young suffocated Telford in Rush's body, Rush who was in Telford's body began having seizures as well. Both of those men I would consider to be fit and healthy and yet the death of one was effecting the other.

So back to square one in that there is no safety protocol for the "what if one of them dies?" scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X