A theory on Destiny, Seeder ships and the Gates they drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aesjos View Post
    There is no "Source" of CBR like the show is positing, that it is being continuously broadcast from really far away. There's no where you could observe it better by going to it, it is coming from everywhere, and you can only observe the original 'structure' coming from a particular location from very far away. This is because the universe didn't expand from one location we can pin point but every point has moved away from each other. Thus, someone where Destiny is pointing their instruments back towards earth would get just as much info about the CBR as we can get from pointing them towards Destiny. The information you want is no longer where it started and not still emanating from it so going towards a space will not help at all. Ultimately, the way to get the whole picture is to develop a tool that lets you analyze the radiation coming from the absolute farthest point in space relative to your own, and you could use it anywhere with no need to go halfway across the universe, which will just give you the same information anyway.

So, really, this whole idea of the show makes absolutely zero sense.
    I've tried making this argument already... several times... it's going to fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Originally posted by cheezegr8r View Post
      The big bang theory postulates that the universe formed at a single point in space. There's quite a body of work that supports this theory. that being the case the CBR would be emananting from that point, which makes perfect sense. and it would give you a place to travel too.
      What you fail to understand is that EVERYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE formed at a single point in space. You cannot find one point that was not in contact with every other point in the beginning. That is why the CMB is a uniform temperature all over the universe and the anisotrophies are thermal variations caused by quantum fluctuations of matter in a very tiny space expanded to the size of the universe today.

Comment

Originally posted by Python View Post
        Yeah.

Except that, as Aesjos said earlier, background radiation is measured the same across space and moving around will not change the data.

Did the show actually say that moving large distances through space gives them new information about background radiation?
        No. And leisurely following around seeder ships for a million years doesn't seem conducive to an important mission of measuring, analyzing, and decoding a "message" in the CMB. Heck, the CMB is what causes the snow on the empty channels of your analog TV set. Perhaps the Ancients thought they saw ghosts moving around just underneath the threshold of detection in the snow on their TV sets... I'll have what they were smoking, please.

Comment

Okay, so what exactly Destiny is doing seems like an open question. We just know that it's something that involves large distances and lots of stargates.

Which makes me think it has something to do with exploring or messing around with the geometry of the universe. I mean, every time they open a wormhole they're changing the universe's topology and depending on the shape of the universe that could take different amounts of energy. So, maybe Destiny's mission is just to get a stargate really far away, like wwwwaaaaaaayy way far away, and see how the energy required to establish a wormhole with it changes. In concert with very precise measurements of the CMB, they could be discovering structures in the large scale curvature of spacetime. And maybe these structures appear artificial.

Comment

Originally posted by cheezegr8r View Post

My guess is that the gates are like breadcrumbs being left behind so that the ancients that are being carried on destiny can get home once they rematerialize and get their anwsers to the signal in the CBR.
            But how would they have powered a gate from galaxy 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 and so on..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              But how would they have powered a gate from galaxy 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 and so on..
              Excellent point, the gates themselves are not powered by a DHD or have the capability to dail to other galaxies without extra power (.see gating from SGC to Atlantis in Pegasus.)

Comment

I thought of this theory taking what we know into account, i do understand that moving around will not yield any change in the CMB that we know of, i was more making a point for the fact that because we know this and were a young species, then what the hell is Destiny travelling in a straight (ish) line for along with the Seed ships, the point of the mission is exploration but we dont know what for, theres no point saying Destiny cant be looking for the source of the CMB structure because it wont physically exist because that leaves a gaping hole as to the point of Destiny's entire mission.

As i also said, we saw the Seed ship in 'Awakening' had a large number of gates already made and stored, we also know there arent many gates per galaxy, so as to why they would need so many Seed ships when the Seed ships have a number buffer of constructed gates which speeds up deployment, suggests to me reaching a certain point in space as fast as possible with as little deviation and time loss.

I like the Dovetail theory, it would explain why theirs no remains of the crew, but i disagree on the fact of the chair being an Ascension device, i find it more likely their bodies get absorbed and stored somewhere, perhaps cryogenically stored, and their conciousness gets uploaded into Destiny's computers, would explain the ships sentience like ability of the dreams of Young and possibly TJ and Rush's conversations to Gloria and Franklin. Dont forget weve seen in Altantis on the Aurora that crew members in cold storage had their minds linked to a virtual environment to keep them active despite their physical bodies extreme age. I think the chair could be the precursor to that technology.

As for the few Stargates in a single line, i did think of it being a path home for the original Destiny crew but theirs power requirements and other things that dont add up for example the MK 1 gates cant even dial some gates in the same galaxy let alone to neighbouring galaxies.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
                  Excellent point, the gates themselves are not powered by a DHD or have the capability to dail to other galaxies without extra power (.see gating from SGC to Atlantis in Pegasus.)
                  Thanks for the back up..

Comment

Originally posted by Cylykon View Post
                    I've tried making this argument already... several times... it's going to fall on deaf ears.
                    Please, I am fed up of you so called super intelligent people with your quantum physics blah blah, when you actually have absolutely zero evidence and are basing everything on assumptions made by humans who have not even travelled past the moon. Please don't state facts and try to make everyone look stupid, I'm sure your intelligent enough to realise this which is why I wonder why you try to pass it off as fact.

Humans are not as clever as we all think, we still murder and rape. We still burn things to get power/heat. We still have famines, die from natural disasters, war. We are still a terribly primitive race. Our imagination is our only hope, getting bogged down in theories and taking what we know now to be true(because we think we are that clever) will just hinder our development.

Comment

Originally posted by akill10 View Post
                      Humans are not as clever as we all think, we still murder and rape. We still burn things to get power/heat. We still have famines, die from natural disasters, war. We are still a terribly primitive race. Our imagination is our only hope, getting bogged down in theories and taking what we know now to be true(because we think we are that clever) will just hinder our development.
                      Speak for yourself. Before you put down everyone realize the whole world is not like your immediate vicinity. Most people have not murdered or raped anyone, there is nuclear, wave, wind, geothermal and solar energy and most people alive have never seen famine (and actually, though we are so stupid and primitive one development alone, high yield wheat developed by Norman Borlaug, is basically solely responsible for 3-4 billion people being able to eat at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Aesjos View Post
                        Speak for yourself. Before you put down everyone realize the whole world is not like your immediate vicinity. Most people have not murdered or raped anyone, there is nuclear, wave, wind, geothermal and solar energy and most people alive have never seen famine (and actually, though we are so stupid and primitive one development alone, high yield wheat developed by Norman Borlaug, is basically solely responsible for 3-4 billion people being able to eat at all).

Sorry, I was unaware I would be speaking to anyone not part of the human race, Before you reply, please read carefully.

Comment

Okay folks, the topic of this thread is Theory on Destiny, Seeder ships and the Gates they drop. Personal issues, insults and opinions on humanity are off topic and also against GW rules. If you are not interested in discussing the given topic I suggest you move on and find a topic that you do find interesting.

Thank you
                          jasminaGo
                          GateWorld Moderator
                          sigpic

Comment

Back ontopic

The Destiny mission isn't the first of its kind... the first ones were probably the ones to seed the MW. Also, in IDA, there was a stargate with the Asgard, clearly because the Ancients had a treaty with them.

Comment

The IDA Stargate was the milkyway model. Also the Milkyway mission most likely came AFTER Destiny as the Destiny gate is a prototype of the Milkyway gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cylykon View Post
                                What you fail to understand is that EVERYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE formed at a single point in space. You cannot find one point that was not in contact with every other point in the beginning. That is why the CMB is a uniform temperature all over the universe and the anisotrophies are thermal variations caused by quantum fluctuations of matter in a very tiny space expanded to the size of the universe today.
                                Are you making that up?

well it IS a science FICTION show...

Comment

Working...
                                X