No announcement yet.

Commander Kiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well shes a lot hotter than most other "tough-as-nails-clad-in-leather-female-badass"! So im cool with her character. Even though a Lucian Alliance leader shouldn't really have an English accent.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
      See, I disagree. The "tough-as-nails-clad-in-leather-female-badass" has been done to death. Honestly, what do you like about Kiva at this point? That she what? Has power? Kills people? Has a quirky morality? She's certainly not that funny so THAT can't be it. We don't even know if she's strong, she could just be so psychotic people don't mess with her.

I'm not arguing that I hate the charecter. I am suggesting that she's a derivitive, easy to digest archetype without much nuance. Wray can become something we either love or hate. She's not simple: she's terrified. So there's a narrative story there as to what do we do when we are consumed by fear (which I believe fuels her). Do we grow stronger? Take on new skills? Find ourselves in new places?

Kiva, by contrast is exactly where she wanted to be. She's in control. She has no problem killing people. Things work for her. In essence, she's a bad guy from SG1. I like SG1, I'm just saying long term I don't think she fits. However, Wray does.
      I agree on the Wray point. Wray makes a far more interesting character, be it villain or otherwise, perhaps precisely because it's not clear where she falls. Still, from what we've seen of Kiva (other than the all-leather thing, LOL!) she doesn't appear to be quite so cookie-cutter evil
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

You're right. I think it's Romans who are supposed to have English accents.

And in retrospect... Kind of a jerk post on my part. Bad day. Allthought, to be fair, I'm not calling her evil. I'm just saying, I've seen this charecter before. Many times. With different names. With both sex organs (although not at the same time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
          Kiva, by contrast is exactly where she wanted to be. She's in control. She has no problem killing people. Things work for her. In essence, she's a bad guy from SG1. I like SG1, I'm just saying long term I don't think she fits. However, Wray does.
          To be a bit more precise, no one fits on Destiny. They are all the wrong crew. Kiva brings more action to the long term crew being a wild cannon like Greer. Being marooned on Destiny with no escape (assuming the planet explodes or whatever, one way trip) she'll provide way more entertaining drama to adjust to life on Destiny. She may even have a little mimi cry in her room to show she's not all that tough. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Comment

Actualy the LA know where they are dialing, have prepared and are well equiped for survival on Destiny.
            They kind of are the "right people".

Comment

I actually like Kiva. I believe her when she says she's just trying to do what's best for her people. They really were left in a mess by the SGC. She's just learned that the only way to survive is by being tougher than anyone else. She doesn't have to like it, she just has to do it in order to maintain control in chaos.

She's a lot more rational and in control than Young, who is absolutely cracked at this point. And she'd probably be willing to give Rush unlimited opportunity to do the work he wants to do. I have a feeling that given yet another near-death experience at Young's hands (Young's attempt to suffocate Telford/Rush), Rush is going to be a bit more willing to cooperate with her.

Comment

Originally posted by ladypredator View Post
                I actually like Kiva. I believe her when she says she's just trying to do what's best for her people. They really were left in a mess by the SGC. She's just learned that the only way to survive is by being tougher than anyone else. She doesn't have to like it, she just has to do it in order to maintain control in chaos.

She's a lot more rational and in control than Young, who is absolutely cracked at this point. And she'd probably be willing to give Rush unlimited opportunity to do the work he wants to do. I have a feeling that given yet another near-death experience at Young's hands (Young's attempt to suffocate Telford/Rush), Rush is going to be a bit more willing to cooperate with her.
                I guess I'm not seeing this 'young is absolutely cracked' thing, must be some sort of a new meme going around, but yes, Kiva does appear to be quite rational. We'll have to wait and see how Rush, who agreed to the whole thing, how he feels about it
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by ladypredator View Post

Well, at least the LA have an opportunity to take advantage of... er, I mean clean up the mess left by the fall of the Goa'Uld. If The SGC hadn't helped in this change Kiva and company would still be operating as mere criminals instead of being empire builders.

Kiva wants to do what's best for her people? Often, kings, queens or dictators couch their goals as being what is best for their people when in actuality it is what is best for themselves or for the small elite which forms their power base. Being stronger, smarter, faster, more technologically advanced, and even more ruthless and violent is often the way a dictator can maintain a lead over any opposition. I'm sure Kiva cries herself to sleep each night over all the things she orders others to do, like the extreme torture of prisoners or the garroting of under performing scientists. I'd say she found out how to do that from Young, but as yet we have not seen him garrote anyone (unless there's a kino showing that but it wouldn't be canon ) and his "torture" methods are years behind hers... or would that be ahead, since most of his torturing has been of the psychological variety.

As I read your post, Kiva is "more rational and in control" than Young so from this are we to understand that in your opinion a "rational" person who orders extreme torture or the cold-blooded death of a minion is a saint, while a supposedly unstable person who does far less is to be crucified? Would she "give Rush unlimited opportunity to do the work he wants to do", sure she would, just like she gave Olan a free hand to do whatever he wanted to do. And when Rush had outlived his usefulness or became more useful by becoming an object lesson to someone else Kiva would look at one of her flunkies who would immediately and rapidly wrap a wire garrotte around Rush's neck and strangle him... for the good of her people.

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

If she stays for any length of time, she'll be Draco In Leather Pants. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...InLeatherPants
                    Last edited by Azzers; 03 June 2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                      Well shes a lot hotter than most other "tough-as-nails-clad-in-leather-female-badass"! So im cool with her character. Even though a Lucian Alliance leader shouldn't really have an English accent.
                      English accents are awesome. I should know, i have one
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                        Well, at least the LA have an opportunity to take advantage of... er, I mean clean up the mess left by the fall of the Goa'Uld. If The SGC hadn't helped in this change Kiva and company would still be operating as mere criminals instead of being empire builders.

Kiva wants to do what's best for her people? Often, kings, queens or dictators couch their goals as being what is best for their people when in actuality it is what is best for themselves or for the small elite which forms their power base. Being stronger, smarter, faster, more technologically advanced, and even more ruthless and violent is often the way a dictator can maintain a lead over any opposition.

As I read your post, Kiva is "more rational and in control" than Young so from this are we to understand that in your opinion a "rational" person who orders extreme torture or the cold-blooded death of a minion is a saint, while a supposedly unstable person who does far less is to be crucified? Would she "give Rush unlimited opportunity to do the work he wants to do", sure she would, just like she gave Olan a free hand to do whatever he wanted to do. And when Rush had outlived his usefulness or became more useful by becoming an object lesson to someone else Kiva would look at one of her flunkies who would immediately and rapidly wrap a wire garrotte around Rush's neck and strangle him... for the good of her people.

regards,
                        G.
                        From wathing her in action in this weeks finale, i find kiva to be a heck of a lot more merciless than some of the Gou'ald we fought were.

Comment

I have the holster used by Rhona Mitra as Commander Kiva. To bad I couldnt get the actual Vektor CP1 she carried. I have my piece of SGU history and I am happy with it.

my holster.jpgmy holster12.jpgDSCF2375.jpg
                          Last edited by anaberration; 12 July 2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Very cool! Don't tell anyone but some days I'd love to be Kiva, and kick some butt!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X