• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drakonous View Post
    Zat'nik'itel
    Zat Gun.

Perfecto!

Comment

A zat gun would put a stop to this mutiny business. I'd zat Wray just for fun.
      And anyone who has trouble sleeping can zat themselves to sleep. Very handy tool.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
        And anyone who has trouble sleeping can zat themselves to sleep. Very handy tool.
        sigpic

Comment

Beats using a wraith stunner to nodd off.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
            All galaxies are not the same distance apart. The Milky way has several galaxies close by, they are known as the Local Group. Andromeda galaxy is the closest Galaxy to the Milky Way, I think its safe to assume that is the Galaxy that the Asgard moved into. Pegasus is a dwarf galaxy that rotates around Andromeda, it is further away from Earth than Andromeda. Therefore its quick and easy for the Asgard to jump from one to the other than it is to get to Pegasus.....plus I don't know how much salt I would put in that episode back in season 6 when Thor's ship was moving around....they didn't even enter hyperspace. I think they screwed up the cannon there.

Back to Destiny though, right now its very clear that Destiny is outside the Local Group. Which means galaxies will be much further apart and will take longer to get there...the FTL drive could very well be much much faster its just the distances are much further apart now.

Um, wrong on a couple of points, there. First of all, the (technically) closest galaxies to the Milky Way are the Greater and Lesser Magellanic Clouds, which are considered "satellite" galaxies of our own. Next, the Asgard did not relocate to Andromeda. "The Fifth Race" placed their homeworld in the galaxy of Ida, which is *significantly* farther away from us than Andromeda. That just makes the speed with which they were able to cross the intervening void much more impressive than anything we've seen from the thusfar unnamed form of FTL used by Destiny.

As for "Unnatural Selection", that was the only episode of any of the 3 series to show one ship towing another through hyperspace. They didn't show any kind of beam linking the two together, either, but does that mean that Prometheus didn't end up near the Replicator planet? No. How about some raw figures to end this chapter of the debate. Pegasus was stated to be 300 Million LY distant from Earth by McKay (SGA: "Home"), which btw blows your statement about it orbiting Andromeda out of the water. Andromeda is "only" about 3 million LY away. It took the BC-304 class of ship (Daedalus, Odyssey, etc) 18 days to cross between Milky Way and Pegasus (4 days if powered by a ZPM). It took Destiny hundreds of thousands of years to cross what, 1 billion LY? FAR inferior in terms of speed.

And in SGU, Rush even stated that the hostile, unknown aliens had been trying to take Destiny for a VERY long time. So, we can surmise that Destiny took its sweet time crossing that particular galaxy if it was attacked so many times while still unmanned by aliens who apparently had a very decisive presence in that region. Bottom line: Destiny is obviously not meant to be the pinnacle of Ancient tech. The shuttles are clunkier, less maneuverable, and lacking the intuitive control interface of a Jumper. No stealth mode generators on them or Destiny. Weapons that appear to be the inspiration for Goa'uld gas-plasma laser technology (staff weapons, energy cannons, etc). The only item on the ship that reasonably warrants praise are the shield generators, but even they have their problems. They can withstand flying through a star when power is nearly depleted, but can't hold up against an attack from 1-3 smaller ships?

The real path we need to explore is this: we were told that SGA: "The Daedalus Variations" would have far-reaching consequences as far as the aliens who boarded the alternate Daedalus were concerned. They probably weren't from Pegasus, as they'd have certainly attacked Atlantis in our timeline if they were. They actually appeared genuinely frightening and formidable. Instead, on SGU, we get blue fish-featured midgets. Why not make use of something that we won't get to see in the context of SGA again, as they canned it in FAVOR of SGU? The real issue here is that we received a dumbed-down, sex-laden, all-around inferior program.

About the only characters who don't make me want to bash their faces in are Col. Young, MSgt. Greer, and Eli. Chloe is an annoying, stuck-up, all-around worthless character, and that makes her perfect for Scott, who tries and fails to be some sort of poor man's John Sheppard. Wray is a self-important, sycophantic lesbian. The various scientists and doctors routinely ignore the fact that regardless of whether or not they wear a uniform, Young is their leader, and they cavalierly ignore or disregard his orders.

The Lucian Alliance arc is a leftover from SG-1's cancellation and the fact that it wasn't interesting enough to warrant a DVD movie ala Ark of Truth and Continuum, and it was haphazardly thrown into the mix on SGU. Let's face it: the LA was never
            meant to be taken seriously! They tried to send an assassin to kill Mitchell at his High School reunion, for God's sakes. They grew a weird crop of addictive corn (What the Hell was the long-term plan, if any, on that??) They took over the Odyssey, but lost it just as quickly because the leader of their little attack had the hots for Carter and didn't pay attention to what was going on.

Overall, the LA are even less intimidating than Kolya and his small band of rogue Genii were halfway through Atlantis. If there's to be any kind of recurring hostile presence on SGU, it should be something original, not a second-rate recycled SG-1 enemy that for some reason was put alongside the Ori. In fact, THERE'S another idea. Why Destiny would go there is beyond me, but for some reason passing through the Ori Galaxy would be of interest. As the people are no longer hostile, it's more than likely that some sort of power source could be acquired and rigged to Destiny, allowing the crew to return home. I get the feeling I just spoiled the writers' endgame for the series...

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              I'm not sure if the ep has aired in syndication so I just wanted to be safe

I highly doubt they would do that because...

I'm pretty sure everything was moved to Area 51 so it would have all been destroyed so even if we had another chair we still wouldn't be able to launch drones.

In EATG, Col. Carter explicitly states that it was the chair that was moved. The actual launching mechanism was deeply subterranean, as it held and controlled thousands of drone weapons - Col. Everett, SGA "The Siege Part II". Good luck just uprooting the whole thing and relocating it halfway across the planet in secret. If anything, they might have moved the chair and removed the drones, shipping them either to A51 or elsewhere. I say elsewhere, as if they'd been at A51, the secondary explosion from that dart crashing would have been a Hell of a lot bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                He'd likely get beaten on the roll by a hunter...

regards,
                G.
                Young has a DKP system in place.

Comment

Your basing your facts on what the show is saying (which is contradicts itself a lot), I am basing mine on reality. Also as you just said Ida is further away than Pegasus and yet it took the Asgard at least a day to travel to Pegasus the one time they came over.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                    Sure would have made the Spencer situation either easier, or a hell of a lot more complicated if Rush just zapped him three times.

Comment

Working...
                    X