This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    Eh, given the limited time they had to tell this particular story I don't blame them. The downsides of television/movie stories I suppose.
    If there is limited time, then why waste 5 minutes with a useless montage?

Comment

Eh, given the limited time they had to tell this particular story I don't blame them. The downsides of television/movie stories I suppose.
      I agree showing how Rush getting from the planet to the water tank was not needed, but I can sort of see where DSG1 is coming. In the first 10 episodes, TPTB made conscious effort to flesh out the plot eg Air going from 2 parts to 3 or fire becoming Darkness and Light. But with Space, its like they did the opposite. There was more to tell in Space than Darkness/Light for example, but rather than taking the same approach to what they had did previously and flesh it out, it was more like they started going back to old habbits and fit it all into one.

Like i've said previously in this thread, that rushed/choppy centre 20 minutes of the episode is what really disapointed me about the episode.
      Last edited by Madwelshboy; 04 April 2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
        If there is limited time, then why waste 5 minutes with a useless montage?
        Thats assuming its useless. It points to the character frame of mind which may be important in coming episodes
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
          I agree showing how Rush getting from the planet to the water tank was needed, but I can sort of see where DSG1 is coming. In the first 10 episodes, TPTB made conscious effort to flesh out the plot eg Air going from 2 parts to 3 or fire becoming Darkness and Light. But with Space, its like they did the opposite. There was more to tell in Space than Darkness/Light for example, but rather than taking the same approach to what they had did previously and flesh it out, it was more like they started going back to old habbits and fit it all into one.

Like i've said previously in this thread, that rushed/choppy centre 20 minutes of the episode is what really disappointed me about the episode.
          I rather like the fact that they didn't show that. I liked the scene of Young discovering Rush on the ship as the first time you see him. I suppose it should have been expected, but I didn't think Rush would be back so soon even though I had already read how Rush was going to get off that planet...so I wasn't quite expecting him to appear just yet (I thought he might be in the next ep), but as soon as Young started to clean off the glass, I knew who was going to find, but before that moment, I hadn't been anticipating Rush.

Now showing something afterwards to explain? I suppose they could have, but I didn't need to see it. Telling me was good enough in this instance, imo. Maybe they will flesh out some of Rush's abduction in a future ep and show what happened.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            I rather like the fact that they didn't show that. <sniped> for space
            LOL i did mean t put not needed, opps lol.

Comment

You know, this is what I thought you meant...but I wasn't sure
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Then consider that directed at the other poster who brought it up.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

You know, this is what I thought you meant...but I wasn't sure
                  I've been in science mode all day, i was just more than happy to get a few words of english out But yeh that's what i ment.

Comment

Well, that episode has certainly raised my hopes for the rest of this season. It's provided one of the things I felt was lacking - interesting questions for us to ponder as we wait for future episodes, to keep us hooked. I just hope this isn't the last we see of the aliens until the end of the season. One thing that is really bugging me though, is where Young got that 20th-century-Earth-design leather sofa to lie on...I don't remember seeing that fly through the gate during the Icarus evac

Comment

Originally posted by BobG View Post
                      Well, that episode has certainly raised my hopes for the rest of this season. It's provided what I felt was lacking - interesting questions for us to ponder as we wait for future episodes, to keep us hooked. I just hope this isn't the last we see of the aliens until the end of the season. One thing that is really bugging me though, is where Young got that 20th-century-Earth-design leather sofa to lie on...I don't remember seeing that fly through the gate during the Icarus evac
                      The Ancients had good taste? There are mirrors and beds and all sorts of other things on the Destiny, after all.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

The Ancients had good taste? There are mirrors and beds and all sorts of other things on the Destiny, after all.
                        And every 5000 years they change their decoration style

The destiny looks was picked by a rough Ancient who wanted things rough and metallic like!
                        The one who decorated Atlantis was probaly a woman

Its ! He is watching you!!

Comment

Originally posted by theta123 View Post
                          And every 5000 years they change their decoration style

The destiny looks was picked by a rough Ancient who wanted things rough and metallic like!
                          The one who decorated Atlantis was probaly a woman
                          Sexist! Men want to be comfortable too.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Soooooo...what did I think...

Well, I think it's going to take a couple of episodes for me to get back to the point where I care about the characters again, I enjoyed the episode, but didn't feel very engaged with them.
                            So, off the top of my head -

Liked:
                            * The reveal of Rush in the tank. Glad to have him back so soon, I probably find him the most interesting character.
                            * Enjoyed the bit with the tomatoes, actually, probably 'cause it was just in passing, rather than a big deal. Wonder why they're only sort of tomatoes? Is it something to do with the earth they're growing them in, or because they're being grown in space, or...um...
                            * The Greer/Scott interaction was good, a small thing, but finally a feeling of teamwork and/or loyalty.
                            * Riley is still around! Phew.
                            * The aliens themselves. Though they were definitely more humanoid than I was expecting.
                            Disliked:
                            * Chloe's mind-boggling idiocy. I mean, honestly, you'd think she'd learn. But no, she seems to have stepped right out of a 1930's pulp thriller... "Ooo, shiny light...must look..."
                            * The montage sequence at the end - they can work, if done properly, but I really didn't get why Lt. James was crying her eyes out in that bit. There just wasn't enough laid down for that to be clear.
                            * Oddly enough, didn't really enjoy the battle sequence much, not sure why.

Comment

Sexist! Men want to be comfortable too.
                              Makes me wonder...Did the Ancients have their own version of Queer Eye? I bet Atlantis had a cannon sitting on one of the balconies, but the new decorator thought a plant would be just fabulous in its place.

Comment

Well 'Space' exceeded my expectations. I really liked how they answered so many questions we've been asking since 'Justice'. The aliens were great and felt truly alien. Great character moments. At least now they may be using the stones less with the potential threat of being alien controlled now.

Some interesting character things I noticed though. Though some of this is my own speculation and thoughts on characters motivations.

Eli is still with Young and knows that Young stranded Rush. What I find really telling was when he let Young know he knew it wasn't "Your wrong for stranding Rush because it's wrong" it was "Your wrong for stranding Rush because he still knows more than me" I mean if Eli knew how the Destiny systems worked at the same level Rush does I wonder if he would even care Rush was stranded. Not to mention when Rush returned Eli seemed less than thrilled.

Young knows Wray is organizing the civillians for a mutiny of some sort. For all the talk of how evil Young is the fact that he knows Wray is insighting mutiny and insurection on Destiny and he takes no action against her speaks volumes.

Wray organizing a mutiny. I don't think Wray wants command because everytime we see her in private she has shown no signs of wanting command. It seems to me that the IOA simply wants her to take control so they can issue orders through her. Also her dislike of Young, Greer, and military command may simply be driving her. She may not want command, but she doesn't want the military in command either.

Rush playing politics. I had predicted that when Rush got back he would go along with Young's story. Rush doesn't want a civil war on the Destiny, he wants order and the ability to do his work unhindered. So Rush simply holds his knowledge of events over Young to have leverage and uses Wray to keep the civillians in line. The scientists loyalty are to Rush and Rush promises their loyalty to Wray for the ability to do his work. What Rush does during 'Divided' will be interesting as Rush would have to know that the military would never stand for a civillian coup of Young, so would Rush support Young to keep the Destiny from turning into a warzone? Or would he support Wray to finally be able to work unhindered. Or maybe he has a third option.

Lt. James had a lot of interesting moments. She finally shows why she's fourth in command of Destiny by getting everyone out of the observation room and then rsking her life by running down the corridor to shout the power off, I like to see her role like that of Lornes from SGA, commanding the secondary team and all and it's nice when we see the secondary people doing the heroic stuff. Also her attraction to Caine shows that she's trying to move on from Scott. Also one thing that really struck me was her reaction to the news that Chole was captured. She seemed to have the greatest reaction and sense of concern out of everyone there. So it seems that she does care about Chole even with her past with Scott. Or even because of her past with Scott. She may care about Scott enough to want to keep Chole safe because of what she means to Scott.

Her crying at the end also was interesting and points to something about SGU that I like. It's interesting because it's what you'd expect in real life. Your stuck out billions of miles from home with no way back, your dumped by your boyfriend who is also your boss without any closure, you risk your life to save dozens of people get little thanks, find out the guy you like doesn't feel the same way and may in fact like your friend, and then you go to your room and realize that your all alone. That is what happens in real life. Normally were used to characters risking their lives, making a few one liners then episode ends. But how many times do we see the aftermath when they get home? I mean with all SG-1 went through I'm sure there were nights that were a lot worse than what James had. Its just we didn't see it. To us SG-1 was a rock who rarely let any tradgedy, or life in general get them, but after the credits were done and they went home I'm sure they were bawling their eyes out at times.

One thing I like about SGU over say SG-1 or SGA is that in SGU the secondary cast are treated like human beings. How many times in SG-1 or SGA did we see Siler flirting with someone on base, or Raddek going on a date, or even Walter writing a love letter. In SG-1 and SGA the secondary cast seemed to simply be there to provide something for the main cast, not people in of themselves, besides their interactions with the main cast they had no real identity. In SGU the secondary cast seems to have their own storylines going that are parallel to the main cast.

I liked pretty much everything in this episode but I can't even give it a rating. With SGU every episode feels like a 'to be continued' where what was left unresolved will be resolved next episode.
                                sigpic
                                Doci of the BAG

Comment

Working...
                                X