Greer's issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greer's issues

We got to see glimpses into Sgt. Greer's backstory this episode, and the source of at least some of his issues.

From what I could tell, his father had Gulf War Syndrome or something similar. It was never made clear, to me, that Greer's claustrophobia was related to the abuse and neglect he suffered as a child. Perhaps we haven't seen the whole story yet, but I was wondering about that.

I'm reminded of "Air," when Rush condescendingly suggested that Scott was trying to be a hero to impress his father. It makes more sense now that Greer kicked the hell out of him for it; it's obvious to me that Greer signed up to prove to himself that he could make a difference without letting it destroy him. The idea that he'd try to be a hero to impress the father he hated must have been extremely offensive. Not that I'm supporting what he did, I just understand the reaction he had better.

Actually, it's possible that Greer sees some of his father's faults in Rush; a man who ruins the lives of others, but cannot be escaped. A man who seems to try constantly to exert control through manipulation, at least in Greer's eyes. It could be that his constant eagerness to get rid of Rush arises because he was not able to sever the connection between his father and himself. And his mother. He's determined not to let another 'monster' destroy his new family.

And before anyone goes crazy on me, I am not saying Rush really is a monster or any of those things. Just expressing my opinion on how Greer views him.

I say Greer's anger comes from the abuse he get from his father. He wouldn't be the first one
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

he found a good release for his anger
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

In reality, how long would he last in the military with that sort of hair trigger temper? Would he have even made Corporal?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          In reality, how long would he last in the military with that sort of hair trigger temper? Would he have even made Corporal?
          he's gotten this far. the only real outburst that we know he had was clocking telford.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            he's gotten this far. the only real outburst that we know he had was clocking telford.
            In reality. And I doubt it would have been the first time he's lost his temper given his behaviour on Destiny.

Comment

So, at the end of the episode, do you think Greer is more troubled by the loss of Scott, Chloe and Eli, or by the fact that Scott didn't stick around long enough to confirm whether he was dead or alive? ("We don't leave anyone behind!") Does he equate Scott leaving him in the tunnels with his abandonment by his father?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kansaikimono View Post
                So, at the end of the episode, do you think Greer is more troubled by the loss of Scott, Chloe and Eli, or by the fact that Scott didn't stick around long enough to confirm whether he was dead or alive? ("We don't leave anyone behind!") Does he equate Scott leaving him in the tunnels with his abandonment by his father?
                find out when scott get's back to destiny

Comment

Indeed, I thought Greer seemed a little too desperate in his affirmation to the others that Scott had to leave him. I suspect that, right now, he's both concerned about the others and, perhaps unconciously, experiencing feelings of abandonment. One wonders if perhaps the experience might, somehow, give him common ground with Rush. I don't ever expect them to be friends, or even allies, but as I said in the OP, the gun-in-face routine is getting a little silly.

Ellie,

I don't think it's at all impossible that Greer has made it through his military career with few incidents to go on record against him. He has proven himself to be a capable warrior, if not a particularly disciplined one. I think he's in war-mode on board Destiny all the time, and has been from the start, so normal boundries are beneath his consideration. How he behaved when not in a hostile situation is up to speculation; we only know of the one incident with Telford. After that, Greer is in an extrodinarily stressful situation. He has an adversarial relationship with nearly all of the civilians, on one level or another. He feels a strong need to protect his commander and fellow military personnel. What once might have been strange behavior for him, losing his temper and being too aggressive, is now common because of the dire straits aboard Destiny. It's up to Greer to learn to trust the people around him to some degree. Maybe some real external threats will allow him to direct all his aggressive energy at a real enemy.

Comment

Young made it to Colonel and he isn't exactly Mister Levelhead himself, even if, as Daro points out, these are extraordinary circumstances.

Comment

I liked seeing that he rescued his dad, even with all that his dad seemed to do to him. Showed he has character.

Comment

I think he's starting to slowly realise that if he carries on treating people as he does then he's going to end up dying alone.

Comment

Actually Ellievee so far evidence of 'hairtriger' of his is in short supply.

His beating on Rush seemed more of issue of his machinations stranding them on Destiny and his mistrust of the man.

His striking of Telford may be evidence. But then as Young put it he had it coming.

The Wray \ Greer tension ...puzzling but not proof. Interesting.

His actions where a reflection of the Military loyalty too one of their own.

Until we get more proof that hair trigger thing seems a label he hasn't earned as of yet.

As to how he made Corporal we have seen him focused. Determined and more philosophical then expected. He's got salt in the shoes and that adds a lot.

Comment

If I was Greer I would be seriously pissed off at Scott for leaving me there. Greer as been loyal all along with Scott even willing to risk his life to save his girlfriend. Now this. I don't think it's related to his relation with his father.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                              If I was Greer I would be seriously pissed off at Scott for leaving me there. Greer as been loyal all along with Scott even willing to risk his life to save his girlfriend. Now this. I don't think it's related to his relation with his father.
                              If I were knocked out cold for who knows how long, AFTER several tons of tunnel had just landed on me, I would fully expect witnesses to think that I was dead. As a marine, he would understand the fine line between loyalty and stupidity; is it worth the effort to try to dig a man (status unknown) out from being buried while the tunnel was still coming down?

Greer wouldn't have known how long he was out for (I didn't see him check his watch), he wouldn't have known how long they tried digging him out for. I wouldn't like that he left, but I would fully understand, just as I expect Greer to. I would also fully expect the bromance the two have going will suffer for a while, once Scott and the gang find out he's alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X