Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young has psychologically crumbled and needs be removed from command.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I don't like double standards. Each show should be equated on the same criteria.
    Instead of higher I really mean more realistic standard. Why, they are different shows?
    Last edited by Blackhole; 17 June 2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
      Why, they are different shows?
      Because when equating Young's comptence in comparassion to other Stargate leader they need to have the same criteria to be a fair comparassion
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't like double standards. Each show should be equated on the same criteria.
        Sorry, that can't happen. SGU is a different type of show. TPTB have bent over backwards to tell us this, and their position holds a bit more weight then yours. Thus, based on the words of TPTB, we will judge this new series in the light they have given it to us in.

It's like if you were writing a comedy series. Then the sequel you wrote to that went a more somber, tragic route. Suddenly, the comedy hammers, injuries, situations are all seen in a different light. You can get away with things in comedy that you can't in a more dramatic series.

I will add that a number of people didn't want SG to go this route in the first place, and this is one of the reasons why; because the series will have to be judged differently, which would clash with earlier iterations. For the record, I was more ambivalent, and was waiting to see how it turned out before judging. I still haven't quite made up my mind.

Comment

While the tone and storytelling are vastly different than the previous shows, this one takes place in the same universe, meaning characters are subject to being judged by the same standards as the previous shows.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
            While the tone and storytelling are vastly different than the previous shows, this one takes place in the same universe, meaning characters are subject to being judged by the same standards as the previous shows.
            Try this as a mental exercise.

Remember "Irresistable"? That was a comedic SGA episode... even though it implied rape as Lucious basically brainwashed and took numerous women as his wives, and tried to take the SGA women as well. Sounds pretty disturbed to me, but it was okay because it was "funny."

Now imagine that plotline in SGU. They come across a guy who brainwashes James, Chloe, Wray, etc. and forces them to have sex with him. Not very funny anymore, is it?

Completely different tone demands a different emotional response.

Jack went crazy in "Window of Opportunity." Rush also went crazy in Darkness. Not quite the same tone, eh?

Try, just try, to imagine *any* of the SG-1 or SGA comedic episodes on SGU. I'll give you a cookie if you can honestly do that, because we all know they wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
              Try this as a mental exercise.

Remember "Irresistable"? That was a comedic SGA episode... even though it implied rape as Lucious basically brainwashed and took numerous women as his wives, and tried to take the SGA women as well. Sounds pretty disturbed to me, but it was okay because it was "funny."

Now imagine that plotline in SGU. They come across a guy who brainwashes James, Chloe, Wray, etc. and forces them to have sex with him. Not very funny anymore, is it?

Completely different tone demands a different emotional response.

Jack went crazy in "Window of Opportunity." Rush also went crazy in Darkness. Not quite the same tone, eh?

Try, just try, to imagine *any* of the SG-1 or SGA comedic episodes on SGU. I'll give you a cookie if you can honestly do that, because we all know they wouldn't work.
              maybe it wasn't really funny the first time either?
              If that's the measure of what we should differently about the series, this argument isn't working for me.
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

And there were plenty of people who found Lucious' actions despicable. A lighter tone doesn't make his actions any less awful.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                  He tried an ambush and even bungled that, getting someone killed.
                  That wasn't Young's fault. It was just really bad luck that the radiation beam decided to strike the beam at that crucial moment.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    That wasn't Young's fault. It was just really bad luck that the radiation beam decided to strike the beam at that crucial moment.
                    *snorks* Come on, we all know Young can control something as piddly as a silly little star
                    </sarcasm>
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      maybe it wasn't really funny the first time either?
                      If that's the measure of what we should differently about the series, this argument isn't working for me.
                      Regardless of whether you found it funny or not, the goal of the episode was humor, so things have to be judged in that light. Just like SGU needs to be judged in the tone of it's own light.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      I'll partially give that to you, but he still could have gone through with it. He ordered people not to shoot. Once again, his bad call ended up getting someone killed with nothing to show for it. I mean, if you're gonna lose someone either way, at least take the action that's going to get you something.

Comment

jelgate,

Because when equating Young's comptence in comparassion to other Stargate leader they need to have the same criteria to be a fair comparassion
                        It's not a fair comparassion. Every other SG incarnation had hand picked teams specially selected to do the job they did. Young is stuck with everyone who came through the Gate to Destiny. Most of whom were not supposed to be on the expedition. As such the discord and difficulty he has faced should not be entirely attributed to his command abilities.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                          jelgate,

It's not a fair comparassion. Every other SG incarnation had hand picked teams specially selected to do the job they did. Young is stuck with everyone who came through the Gate to Destiny. Most of whom were not supposed to be on the expedition. As such the discord and difficulty he has faced should not be entirely attributed to his command abilities.
                          Then shouldn't he be given more leeway in his decision making choices then the harsher criticism in comparassion to past SG leaders?
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

jelgate,

Then shouldn't he be given more leeway in his decision making choices then the harsher criticism in comparassion to past SG leaders?
                            Yes. That's my point. In the other thread I pointed out he's made mistakes but while other's may have avoided his mistakes it's unlikely they would have avoided any mistakes with this group of people.
                            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

jelgate,

A fair statement. I think his command decisions have been good overall and only went downhill over the last two episodes.

Comment

jelgate,

Yes. That's my point. In the other thread I pointed out he's made mistakes but while other's may have avoided his mistakes it's unlikely they would have avoided any mistakes with this group of people.
                                Then we part ways because I was orginally trying to show the mistakes Young has made are not very different from the ones that past leaders of Stargate have made. Excluding Justice of course
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X