Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young has psychologically crumbled and needs be removed from command.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    Blackhole,

The attitude of the people around Telford, who was isolated anyway, wouldn't have made that much of an impact. He was dieing in reality regardless of whether or not Scott and Wray were relaxed about what was going on. As such I don't believe people attitude would have made a hairs breath of difference.
    I think Telford may have possibly picked up on a change in behavior from Scott or Wray. Besides Wray could have thought Young was crazy about the death to cure brainwashing idea and demanded to Scott to stop him or have told Brody over the radio that Young is killing him for some ridiculous brainwashing reason and he needs to let the air back in. Telford could have overheard her yelling or Brody could have had second thoughts and interrupted the evacuation. At that critical juncture Young didn’t need to defend his decision; it would have been disruptive and either one of them may have undermined his action. Telling them gained little and potentially could have cost him everything. And with Greer present he didn’t need to concern himself that Scott or Wray could successfully physically intercede either. You are welcome to your opinion that he should have still told Wray and Scott I just don't see a reason to do so beforehand that offsets their potential to disrupt his treatment of Telford.
    Last edited by Blackhole; 18 June 2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I just don't get why he didn't tell them *after he had locked the door and told Brody to vent the room*. Telford wasn't going to pick up on anything because he was locked in a room, dying, but Camile and Matt were standing there thinking they were witnessing murder. It would have made sense to tell them then.

Of course, then Camile wouldn't have got her "You've killed him" line and the whole scene would have been a great big letdown. Curse you, plot!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        I just don't get why he didn't tell them *after he had locked the door and told Brody to vent the room*. Telford wasn't going to pick up on anything because he was locked in a room, dying, but Camile and Matt were standing there thinking they were witnessing murder. It would have made sense to tell them then.

Of course, then Camile wouldn't have got her "You've killed him" line and the whole scene would have been a great big letdown. Curse you, plot!
        Probably in case if it didn't work and Telford actually died.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          That's a good point.
          sigpic

Comment

yeah, I think so too, in addition to keeping the number of people that knew about it to a minimum
            that way if Telford did end up dying, it doesn't fall on anyone else's shoulders. I can completely see that action as being something in Young's makeup.
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

How would telling or not telling Scott or Wray affect their culpability in either way? They had no say in Young's action. How would being let in on his plan in the last moment make them more guilty in any possible fashion? They tired to reason with Young and Scott actually made a physical move towards Greer and was stopped by him and Wray tried to convince Brody to stop. The only benefit I can see for culpability reasons would be for Young himself. It would show before Telford/Rush had died that he had a reason other than revenge or torture for evacuating the air.

I still think the only reason he didn't inform them was to preserve both of their fear of his actions and to have prevented them from saying something that might have clued Telford in that Young was bluffing and was going to immediately revive him. Or he simply wanted to prove a point that I am in command and you need to trust me; and even if you don't, you need to do what I tell you.
              Last edited by Blackhole; 19 June 2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                I'll partially give that to you, but he still could have gone through with it. He ordered people not to shoot. Once again, his bad call ended up getting someone killed with nothing to show for it. I mean, if you're gonna lose someone either way, at least take the action that's going to get you something.
                But as Kiva said, if she's harmed, then all the hostages are going to be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                  How would telling or not telling Scott or Wray affect their culpability in either way? They had no say in Young's action. How would being let in on his plan in the last moment make them more guilty in any possible fashion? They tired to reason with Young and Scott actually made a physical move towards Greer and was stopped by him and Wray tried to convince Brody to stop. The only benefit I can see for culpability reasons would be for Young himself. It would show before Telford/Rush had died that he had a reason other than revenge or torture for evacuating the air.
                  Greer would be culpable.

I still think the only reason he didn't inform them was to preserve both of their fear of his actions and to have prevented them from saying something that might have clued Telford in that Young was bluffing and was going to immediately revive him. Or he simply wanted to prove a point that I am in command and you need to trust me; and even if you don't, you need to do what I tell you.
                  Which fits with his previous actions.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post

Which fits with his previous actions.
                    wouldn't that be true of any military commander though?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      wouldn't that be true of any military commander though?
                      No.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                        No.
                        *scratches head*
                        "I am in command and you need to trust me; and even if you don't, you need to do what I tell you."
                        Military commanders have to get soldiers to do all sorts of things that the soldiers don't trust or don't want to do. I don't really see it as being much different than the above statement, but meh, whatever.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          *scratches head*
                          "I am in command and you need to trust me; and even if you don't, you need to do what I tell you."
                          Military commanders have to get soldiers to do all sorts of things that the soldiers don't trust or don't want to do. I don't really see it as being much different than the above statement, but meh, whatever.
                          And when it's an illegal order a soldier doesn't have to do what his commander tells him and indeed, is legally obliged not to. Young could have avoided all the angst with one simple comment, particularly as he'd already brought Scott into his confidence earlier, something that a number of people posting in this thread seem to be ignoring.

Comment

Very true. For all they knew, what Young was doing was illegal..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              Very true. For all they knew, what Young was doing was illegal..
                              True , Young could have taken the time out to explain to them..

Still. Technically speaking his actions were not illegal which is the main point. As for his pychologically crumbeling that is really an assumption. I have seen no actual facts leading to this. Maybe its the wording that seems wrong?
                              None the less I see no proof of this or reason for his removal...
                              Last edited by Tuvok; 19 June 2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
                                True , Young could have taken the time out to explain to them..

Still. Technically speaking his actions were not illegal which is the main point. As for his pychologically crumbeling that is really an assumption. I have seen no actual facts leading to this. Maybe its the wording that seems wrong?
                                None the less I see no proof of this or reason for his removal...
                                Point regarding what happened with Telford, Scott didn't know that at the time. He didn't know Young had O'Neill's dubious blessing. What he saw was a prisoner being deprived of food and water and eventually the air in his compartment. Given Young had taken him into his confidence earlier, it was a (yet another) bad decision to leave Scott out of the loop.

In regards to the whole, this was simply one in a series of poor decisions from Young, who tends to lead with his emotions and fists (or as some have noted, head butts) rather than rationality and logic. The former has lead to people dying. Perhaps the latter would, too, but I think decisions would be more justifiable had he applied a little commonsense to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X