X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
    What did you think of:

1. Wiggly cameras

Personally, I think that if you're gonna shoot documentary style then you better go all the way as in Cloverfield or not at all. Constant camera wiggling just gives me a headache.
    I agree with you. If you are going to use this technique, you might as well go to the extreme.

I personally didn't like it. Since I am use to still, swivel, and mounted cameras, I thought their new camera treatment got in my way of enjoying the story. When they went back to the original cast, my eye was relieved when everything went back to normal. Its just me. If I have seen enough movies that used this technique, I might have appreciated the shooting style.

Comment

The main place I've seen this before is the Sanctuary episode Instinct, which I think took the documentary style all the way. It was definitely noticeable there, and I quite enjoyed it.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I don't like it. The human eye and brain are remarkable at adapting to the body's motion, otherwise you would probably throw up trying to walk across the room. So wheneverI see it on screen, unless it's *really* supposed to be a hand held camera in the story, it breaks the moment for me and I'm reminded "oh, yeah, I'm sitting on my couch watching something filmed by someone who seems to need to bathroom"... takes me out of the immersion
        If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
        Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
          I don't like it. The human eye and brain are remarkable at adapting to the body's motion, otherwise you would probably throw up trying to walk across the room. So wheneverI see it on screen, unless it's *really* supposed to be a hand held camera in the story, it breaks the moment for me and I'm reminded "oh, yeah, I'm sitting on my couch watching something filmed by someone who seems to need to bathroom"... takes me out of the immersion
          Though I like some of the documentary-style filming, going overboard with it--a la Cloverfield or Blair Witch Project--would give me serious bouts of motion sickness. Vertigo is the primary reason why I don't play video games of any kind, especially first-person shooters. Personally I think real life is far more interesting than a VG anyway.

If TPTB are going for the darker, grittier direction I think they'll be going with in their writing, then I think we all need to prepare for a lot more non-linear storytelling. That seems to be a hallmark of more "experimental" writing. I'm OK with that as long as the characterizations and plot lines remain self-consistent and plausible.
          sigpic

Comment

My eyes and brain are remarkable at adapting to the camera's motion.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
              My eyes and brain are remarkable at adapting to the camera's motion.
              Same here. I remember thinking how noticeable is was in the 5-min clip when it was released, but I did not notice it at all in the pilot. I was too drawn into the episode, and I think the filming style just drew me in even more.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't notice it, either. I actually forgot that it was supposedly filmed in a completely different style from the 'conventional' until I came on here and saw this thread

Comment

The only difference I noticed was in the Kino shots. *shrugs* I liked it, and I'm not one who can cope at all with overly shaky cameras or video games. I can't even watch motorcycle racing without having to lean into the corners with them or I get disoriented.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X