No announcement yet.

Uhm..... how do they get back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precisely. They don't have enough people on board to seed a civilization, so if they can survive on the ship, they might as well try and hope that they'll find a way back eventually.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      the ship is a bit too valuable to let go. it's their only possible way to get back
      not necessarily... and not as far as they know

they do know that an 8 chevron address will gate to another galaxy.... gate to a planet, bring a powersource, dial earth... home by dinner

but, of course, who would think to bring a ZPM with them?

maybe Rush brought the Deus Ex Machina from Atlantis.....
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Actually if you listen in, you hear rush telling Young that he 'told' the computers what they would be needing.
        Listen further, and he admits that his search causing the stop is pure speculation. Rush posits that the ship may have stopped when it was in range of a stargate, "regardless of [their] need".
        Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

True dat/.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
            big assumption....

i also LOVED how Telford didn't even bother to think of it... and he seemed to know his shyte
            i could be wrong but don't you mean rush ??? telford is still on the Hammond
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaJSlone View Post
              A) As a moving target it's not in the same place it was when the address was put into the Atlantis database.
              The thing is, I had actually placed a lot of my hopes that the ninth chevron wasn't a "code" on the hope that the address had been found in Atlantis's database. After all, the database is a computer and computers can auto-update.

As for why the address hasn't changed in the 5+ years that the Atlantis expedition has had access to the database, my basic answer is that, in order for there to be enough nine-chevron addresses to reach several billion light-years, each address is going to have to be about the size of a galaxy, if not much, much bigger.

Coupled with the fact that the Destiny seems to take its time exploring each galaxy, it could go decades, centuries, millennia, or even millions of years without changing addresses.

Originally posted by JoshuaJSlone View Post
              B) The point of origin was fixed.
              Or perhaps for a nine-chevron dial, you don't use your planet's point of origin, but rather your galaxy's; the Milky Way's "happens" to be the same as Earth's.

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
              he could just as easily searched for water and a habitable planet.....
              They have about twelve hours until the ship leaves. So I'm betting it would be hour thirteen when they discover the twelve-foot tall tarantulas.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
              X