Robert Carlyle/Dr Nicholas Rush Thunk/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
    And plus RC does the whole vocal chameleon thing. There's not a lot of stuff he's done where he sounds the same.
    Yes, indeed. I have to admire him quite a bit for that. One of the main reasons I never considered pursuing a theatre major was that I have such a hard time with accents (except midwestern, which I taught myself to use rather than the southern accent I grew up with.) With RC, just a voice clip from one movie or the other is enough to identify the character. It's really quite amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
      Yessika, your sigs are full of win, I must say. Tempts me to make some of my own.
      Thanks!!

You should make your own, it is quite fun!

I had seen a few of RC movies and I recognized him when the promos for SGU started coming out but I couldn't remember from what
      sigpic
      Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Yeah, it was kinda that way for me. Except I didn't get into SGU until about the time "Life" aired, I'd been resisting it. After I saw RC's face, I was like "I know that name," and looked him up and had one of those "...Oh!" moments. I think the fact that he's a well known British actor helped pull me in, because I watch mostly British tv shows (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Robin Hood) nowadays.

Comment

My reaction was a shrieky 'Omigod! Robert Carlyle!' followed by a 'Oh, I have to watch it now' cos I hadn't actually intended to.

Comment

So you were a big fan of his from the start?

I have to say, I might watch SGU if Rush were to get killed or leave the show in some other way NOW, but not likely. I know for sure that if I didn't have such a personal interest in Rush, I probably wouldn't have watched the show from the start. Which would have been a shame, because it's a good show on its own merits.

Comment

So you were a big fan of his from the start?
              Since Trainspotting and Hamish.

I have to say, I might watch SGU if Rush were to get killed or leave the show in some other way NOW, but not likely. I know for sure that if I didn't have such a personal interest in Rush, I probably wouldn't have watched the show from the start. Which would have been a shame, because it's a good show on its own merits.
              I've already said if Rush/Carlyle weren't it in, I'd probably not continue watching. I stopped watching the police drama The Bill after my favourite characters left. Just wasn't the same. I do like a lot of the SGU cast, particularly Louis Ferreira, but for me, Rush is central to the dynamic.

Comment

I would probably stop watching if Rush wasn't in it, I tend to leave series after a main character (or one of my favorite characters) leaves (Just to name a few: CSI, NCIS, and Bones)
                sigpic
                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Post Fitz standing in the square?
                  I have no clue. I just felt for Albie. And Fitz is just so incredibly annoying. That's why I've never been able to get into the show, although both RC and another favorite actor of mine, John Simm, did fantastic episodes of "Cracker."

Very sad that they didn't do more with that.
                  I agree. Class of 76 was creepy and intriguing and the character of Tom Monroe was really interesting; looked like there would have been some neat backstory with him. RC does play the haunted character well. Then he doesn't do anything badly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladypredator View Post
                    I have no clue. I just felt for Albie. And Fitz is just so incredibly annoying. That's why I've never been able to get into the show, although both RC and another favorite actor of mine, John Simm, did fantastic episodes of "Cracker."
                    Precisely the same reason that I didn't get into it. I recognise the brilliance of Robbie Coltraine's performance but Fitz, I really didn't like. I felt so much for Albie, too. Same with me about Eric in Jimmy Grimble. I'm still floating that idea about Eric, too, and of course, my P&M fic (just received a book on early medicine in Philadelphia but probably wouldn't get to it for a while).

John Simm, mmmm. Did you see State of Play?

I agree. Class of 76 was creepy and intriguing and the character of Tom Monroe was really interesting; looked like there would have been some neat backstory with him. RC does play the haunted character well. Then he doesn't do anything badly.
                    The whole dad showing him clips of dead people thing as a kid. And no, he doesn't. *sigh*

Comment

Since Trainspotting and Hamish.

I've already said if Rush/Carlyle weren't it in, I'd probably not continue watching. I stopped watching the police drama The Bill after my favourite characters left. Just wasn't the same. I do like a lot of the SGU cast, particularly Louis Ferreira, but for me, Rush is central to the dynamic.
                      I think I'd like to see Hamish McBeth. I have no idea what it is about or anything, but it is British tv with RC, so how can it be bad? I also have heard a lot of good things about Trainspotting, but it's one of many films I haven't gotten around to seeing. I sorta am a late bloomer when it comes to tv and movies, I always read more as a kid. That and when I was growing up in rural Arkansas, we had a grand total of four channels. The best you could hope for was Star Trek TNG.

I like David Blue quite a bit, and Louis. But yeah, I can't imagine the show being the same without Rush. It seems to be his story more than anyone else's. I mean, after all, he's the only one who really wants to be there, who is fulfilling his destiny and knows it. Every other character is sort of caught up in that.

Comment

Eli and Young are my favorites after Rush. I probably would still stop watching if Eli and/or Young weren't in SGU.

On the other hand, I would throw a party if Scott weren't in SGU
                        sigpic

Comment

I think I'd like to see Hamish McBeth. I have no idea what it is about or anything, but it is British tv with RC, so how can it be bad? I also have heard a lot of good things about Trainspotting, but it's one of many films I haven't gotten around to seeing. I sorta am a late bloomer when it comes to tv and movies, I always read more as a kid. That and when I was growing up in rural Arkansas, we had a grand total of four channels. The best you could hope for was Star Trek TNG.
                          Hamish is about a policeman in a small village in the Scottish Highlands. As with all small villages, it's populated by eccentrics. Hamish, spliff smoking copper, tries to avoid solving crimes so he can stay there. Growing up, we had four stations also, but one was the Australian public broadcaster, the ABC, so we got and still do, a lot of BBC stuff.

I like David Blue quite a bit, and Louis. But yeah, I can't imagine the show being the same without Rush. It seems to be his story more than anyone else's. I mean, after all, he's the only one who really wants to be there, who is fulfilling his destiny and knows it. Every other character is sort of caught up in that.
                          I like David Blue but boy, am I becoming less and less enamoured of Eli.

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                          Eli and Young are my favorites after Rush. I probably would still stop watching if Eli and/or Young weren't in SGU.

On the other hand, I would throw a party if Scott weren't in SGU
                          I like Scott, though he reminds me a bit of a guy I know: slightly oblivious and dim. I like Brian J Smith a lot, though. He comes across as a really nice and sincere guy.

Comment

I've been upset with Eli too, mostly because he seems to lack principals. I mean, he objects when Rush lies, but when Young lies and spies on people, he doesn't seem to give it any pause. I wonder how much of that is looking up to Young as a father figure of sorts, and how much is concern that, if he does not obey the person SGC has in command, he may not have a job when and if he gets back to Earth, which would mean his mother no longer gets help for her HIV. I'd like to see Eli and Rush be a team again, because right now Eli just seems to be a spy/documentary film maker. Rush doesn't seem to be trying to win him back over to his side very hard, but I'm sure he doesn't trust Eli anymore either. I certainly wouldn't.

Comment

Actually, I am liking Eli more because he seems to be separating himself (gradually) from both Young and Rush, I really just want Eli to stand on his on two feet
                              sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen Eli and Rush as a team at all. The last time prior to this that they had any significant interaction that we see is in Water. Eli's just fooling around with his kinos and moping after Chloe and spying for Young. What does he do in Faith while everyone is on the planet?

Comment

Working...
                                X