Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    You're missing the point. On earth the SGC had to hack the DHD to make it do what they needed. The SGC was still in its infancy with its understanding of gate tech.

Destiny is physically connected via the ships computers to the onboard stargate. This makes the gate itself directly accessible and programmable to do whatever they need it to do. Although it functions as one, it isn't a normal stargate.
    That may well be, however, the suspension happened at the destination gate, not the origination gate.
    And remember that the gate is more primitive that those found in Milky Way or Pegasus.
    Yeah, I'm sure SGC has learned a lot since the beginning, however, that does not mean that they can configure it to do everything they want. I still find it unlikely that Eli can accomplish this particular task.
    I still like my idea of dialing the first gate in the next galaxy and wait for Destiny to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfit2nite View Post
      That may well be, however, the suspension happened at the destination gate, not the origination gate.
      You're still not understanding what I said are you.

Each stargate has a buffer where it stores the matter stream on SENDING and RECEIVING.

The gate can be directly controlled and programmed from destinys consoles as the gate is wired into the ship unlike any other stargate. Not even the gate on Atlantis has such a in depth control system for the gate.

Anyway if the gate can be directly controlled by a computer console then you can program it to store the buffer instead of sending it to a destination. You could also create an event horizon (which is artificial remember) without connecting to another gate. The matter stream would then just be saved in the gate buffer or even one of the ships buffers instead.

It does not matter if its a primitive gate, the way they work would be the same except that the gate on destiny provides more in depth control of the gate.

To put that simply, you could have a simple car - eg one from the 80s with just a steering wheel, engine, gearbox etc. Then you could have a car from 2010 with an onboard computer, OBD interface, canbus etc which lets you not only adjust the engine as it's running but the gearbox, speed sensor readings (eg for different size wheels) and all sorts of other things.

That is the equivalent of destiny. It provides direct access to the stargate instead of just a simple DHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfit2nite View Post
        I still like my idea of dialing the first gate in the next galaxy and wait for Destiny to catch up.
        You're not making sense with this idea though.

1) The destiny doesn't have enough power to dial the next galaxy.
        2) If it could, why didn't the entire crew decide to go there via the gate and then wait for destiny to come into range to pick them up?

Your idea is flawed.

Comment

Isn't there an issue of degredation of the stored pattern in that option? Hence "48 hours" of the title.

Comment

Yes, he did fix the stasis pod indeed, they woke up and continued their journey and found what they were looking for. God, do I miss this show.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
              Isn't there an issue of degredation of the stored pattern in that option? Hence "48 hours" of the title.
              I thought that was the time limit the pentagon gave the SGC to fix it before ordering teams to be sent back through - thus wiping the buffer.

Comment

I thought that was the time limit the pentagon gave the SGC to fix it before ordering teams to be sent back through - thus wiping the buffer.
                Actually, I believe it was McKay that came up with that time limit. And Cater was very pissed at him for coming up with it.
                Wiping out the buffer based on Gate activation was something agreed on, but a degradation of the buffer pattern was never explored.
                If anything it was in Star Trek, that the buffer pattern degradation was constantly discussed.
                And it was Scotty that figured out to boost the pattern with energy in order to survive a ship crash and survive to exist in a TNG episode. Which amazed Geordi with his out-of-the-box ingenuity.

Comment

So there is precedent for degredation to occur. Now does it happen with the gate is the question.

Comment

It was, but that was based on Dr. McKay's briefing to the Pentagon it was how long the 'gate would hold Teal'c's energy signature before it had depleted beyond saving. By the time he and Carter get round to discussing it, McKay claims:
                    "More than a third of the energy pattern that will tell the gate requires to reintegrate Teal’c, it’s already gone."

Comment

Problem is that McKay didn't even believe that there could be a buffer originally. Sam was the one disagreeing and insisting they pursue the idea.

So McKay has been wrong about things - just like the power source he said he count control that blew a solar system to bits.

Rodney DOES get things wrong and unless it's stated as fact in the show and proven, we should not use his theory about buffer degradation as fact.

Comment

McKay had come up with the assumption and told the Pentagon before he was even shown on screen..

Comment

Rodney DOES get things wrong and unless it's stated as fact in the show and proven, we should not use his theory about buffer degradation as fact.
                          ^^This^^

We're not required to make the problem any more difficult than it already is. OTOH, the question of degradation is a reasonable one to ponder (if ultimately reject), since it was in the series.

Comment

I think the ancients were smart enough to use digital tech and that being the case, I think it's safe to assume that the buffer would be stored digitally. Digital doesn't degrade. Ok it can on certain media (like floppy disks, tapes etc) but on things like DVD, hard drives (which are based on cassette tape tech) etc, it doesn't really degrade.

I think Eli would be more than safely stored in ancient crystal digital tech for many years.

Comment

We're talking about vast, vast, vast amounts of data needed to store the quantum state of the entire buffer. Why does it need to be digital?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                                We're talking about vast, vast, vast amounts of data needed to store the quantum state of the entire buffer. Why does it need to be digital?
                                It doesn't. It doesn't even have to be actually possible. (Travel through wormholes, anyone?) It just needs a nice bit of techno-babble, something the show's writers produce with ease.

Comment

Working...
                                X