Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Misfit2nite View Post
    Anyone have a problem with this solution?
    Yes. It was too far away to dial...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
      Yes. It was too far away to dial...
      Let's see, what you're saying is that destiny with the additional reservoir of a seed ship can dial all the way back to Milky way Galaxy, several BILLION Light Years away, and over a million years of travel at FTL away, but, to dial the next Galaxy three years away is too Far???
      That is your position?
      I would suggest you re-calibrate your logical reasoning and think things over before making your statements.
      In the scale that we have been informed so far, I would argue that Destiny, with proper amount of Power can dial ANY gate from wherever it is all the way back to Milky Way.
      I believe, this is the sanest solution to Eli's plight.
      In fact, if he's smart about it, he would un-freeze a few crew members to come along, like Greer, Scott.
      The reason why Destiny only dispalys some gates when it drops out of FTL, is not because it can't connect to those gates beyond a certain distance. It's more to do with the fact that those gates don't have the power to dial back to Destiny. However, since those gates are in the corridor of Destiny's flight path, gating to one of those planets and wating for Destiny to catch up would be the simplest solution.

Comment

Let's see, what you're saying is that destiny with the additional reservoir of a seed ship can dial all the way back to Milky way Galaxy, several BILLION Light Years away, and over a million years of travel at FTL away, but, to dial the next Galaxy three years away is too Far???
        That is your position?
        I would suggest you re-calibrate your logical reasoning and think things over before making your statements.
        In the scale that we have been informed so far, I would argue that Destiny, with proper amount of Power can dial ANY gate from wherever it is all the way back to Milky Way.
        I believe, this is the sanest solution to Eli's plight.
        In fact, if he's smart about it, he would un-freeze a few crew members to come along, like Greer, Scott.
        The reason why Destiny only dispalys some gates when it drops out of FTL, is not because it can't connect to those gates beyond a certain distance. It's more to do with the fact that those gates don't have the power to dial back to Destiny. However, since those gates are in the corridor of Destiny's flight path, gating to one of those planets and wating for Destiny to catch up would be the simplest solution.
        Take a breath, misfit. There's barely enough energy to complete the journey to the next galaxy. Barely. Any more energy consumption, and the ship will fall short, drifting for millenia. Thus even if the ship can dial to a gate in a galaxy where it's never before been, it can't both dial and also carry the crew to their destination.

Comment

That is your position?
          I know. It's miserable: falling back on the facts as stated in the show is the last resort of a desperate man, but I had no other choice. There are no gates in the destination galaxy detected to be able to dial to them, the ship is desperately short of power, even leaving life support for one person switched on will be too much drain.

Comment

I know. It's miserable: falling back on the facts as stated in the show is the last resort of a desperate man, but I had no other choice. There are no gates in the destination galaxy detected to be able to dial to them, the ship is desperately short of power, even leaving life support for one person switched on will be too much drain.
            I understand all that. It's a desperate situation. All I'm saying is that my solution is a feasible solution.
            It doesn't require anything extra ordinary to implement. They can put in some side explanations as to how Eli was able to accomplish this task, channel the shuttle power, un-freeze some members from the stasis pods, from the seed ship data transfer, there were gate information of the next galaxy, etc....
            But, it is feasible. Living in the shuttle for 3 years, that's a non-starter for me.

Comment

No, it's not feasible. The inter-galactic void from Milky Way to Pegasus took dozens of Stargates to cross. You're expecting the ancient Destiny to do it in one, with no power?

Comment

No, it's not feasible. The inter-galactic void from Milky Way to Pegasus took dozens of Stargates to cross. You're expecting the ancient Destiny to do it in one, with no power?
                Actually, if memory serves, it was 34 gates.
                Still, there is no correlation.Earth Gate connected to Atlantis directly.
                It is the power requirement in relation to distance.
                Having 34 or however many gates meant that they didn't require a massive power source to connect directly.
                we already know that with the power of a sun, Destiny was able to connect directly to earth. That's how Telford was able to gate back to earth.
                regardless, it comes down to the following.Destiny has some power left above the necessary journey to the next galaxy, we were told in minimal life support, 1 person could survive for 2 weeks. I don't think there was any mention of how much power the Shuttle had, but Eli did suggest channeling that to Destiny in the beginning, I think it was in 'Darkness, Episode 104.
                Additionally, if a few of the crew were taken out of the pods, more power.
                Besides, what are the alternatives?
                Live in the Shuttle until it is drained?
                Certainly not for the whole 3 years.
                With no facilities, as far as anyone knows.
                Plus the sustenance requirement would make it un-realistic.
                Especially the water part.
                At least gating to the first gate or so of the destination Galaxy is feasible.
                Living in the Shuttle for the duration, not at all.
                If anyone got a better solution, by all means, spill it.
                I'm more than happy to consider it.

Comment

Earth gate connected to Atlantis with a) huge amounts of power, b) extra chevron, c) the right address. The gate system is inevitably working on a different basis out here, because the same addressing mode is unlikely to work. Probably also explains why there are only ever a couple of nearby gates in range.

Long and short of it, we don't have a perfect answer. We're just saying this part of your suggestion is infeasible.

Comment

Earth gate connected to Atlantis with a) huge amounts of power, b) extra chevron, c) the right address. The gate system is inevitably working on a different basis out here, because the same addressing mode is unlikely to work. Probably also explains why there are only ever a couple of nearby gates in range.

Long and short of it, we don't have a perfect answer. We're just saying this part of your suggestion is infeasible.
                    Huge amount of power, yes. Extra chevron, well Milky Way gates all have 9 Chevrons on them.
                    Milky way system is based on the fixed location of the gates, which according to Dr. Daniel Jackson, in the Stargate movie is based on the constellation as they are seen from the earth.
                    Whereas, the Destiny gate system is more primitive as in, you have to figure out the distance calculation and the direction in order to compute how to dial.
                    Until we see the continuing episode, NO, we won't know the answer.
                    However, living in the shuttle for three years is just an inane idea.
                    Rather, dialing the gate in the destination Galaxy, is a feasible idea.
                    That's all I'm saying.
                    It's not just possible, it's feasible.
                    And the most likely. The amount of extra ordinary things would be kept to a minimum, if any.
                    I was also looking at the idea of storing oneself in the event horizon of an active gate idea, but that idea creates major problems.
                    The only solutions that I believe are feasible is gating to the next Galaxy, or get another friendly help from the blue Aliens, yet again.
                    Anything else don't seem feasible unless the writers come up with something out of the left field.

Comment

That is your position?
                      I;d suggest you re-calibrate YOURS.. Look at all the eps so far we have had. POWER is the limiting factor, and we have little of it (only 40% of max from what they say). We can't even go 3-4 gates distant from the destiny as it stands. Let alone galaxy to galaxy.
                      Then add in the fact USING the gates A) drains power which eli said he calculated to where there was little room for use of anything that draws it other than the pods, and B) using it will attract the drones.
                      Heck in Saboutage we were barely out of the last galaxy when we managed to get a link to that last planet in line. So how do you think we will get power to gate to the NEXT galaxy when we are still in this one?

Still, there is no correlation.Earth Gate connected to Atlantis directly.
                      And that USED a ZPM.

You're also forgetting to USE the gate, requires the ship drop out of FTL then re-go into FTL. THAT uses power again.

Comment

Since I'm re-watching SGU right now (I just finished episode 10), it's more than clear to me that at least some of the parts of the ship need to get fixed before Destiny is able to connect to the Stargate on Earth. Had we got just 1 more season, we'd probably see Rush or an exploration team disover more control rooms that would contain even more Ancient-like computers, devices and other hardware and then Rush and Eli finally figuring out either A.) how to partially fix the ship to bring it up to full power so they could live on it until they'd eventually return home; B) how to partially fix the ship systems only so the crew would be able to at least report to Stargate Homeworld on regular basis; C) fix the ship fully and maybe even figure out a way for the Stargate Homeworld to dial the 9th chevron without the need of an Icarus planet.

The seed ships are definitely after Destiny, so the first thing anyone from the crew would want to be done is to get the ship up to full power so they don't get their asses kicked...again.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          I;d suggest you re-calibrate YOURS.. Look at all the eps so far we have had. POWER is the limiting factor, and we have little of it (only 40% of max from what they say). We can't even go 3-4 gates distant from the destiny as it stands. Let alone galaxy to galaxy.
                          Then add in the fact USING the gates A) drains power which eli said he calculated to where there was little room for use of anything that draws it other than the pods, and B) using it will attract the drones.
                          Heck in Saboutage we were barely out of the last galaxy when we managed to get a link to that last planet in line. So how do you think we will get power to gate to the NEXT galaxy when we are still in this one?

And that USED a ZPM.

You're also forgetting to USE the gate, requires the ship drop out of FTL then re-go into FTL. THAT uses power again.
                          And you completely left out the fact that in the previous episode, Blockade,`Destiny re-charged from a Blue Super Giant, and Rush stated that the power reserved were at their maximum.
                          Look, we can go around this till we both turn blue, but what it comes down to is simple.
                          There are few options that are left for Eli. Death is the option that we all want to avoid.
                          So, what are we left with?
                          Trying to survive in the shuttle for 3 years? Not feasible.
                          Trying to suspend his life in the Gate Event horizon? Many technical problems.
                          What else is there?
                          I don't see any other solutions, do you?
                          At least gating to one of the first gates in the next galaxy would require some power. We do know there are some power left above what is required to make the journey, we just have no idea what that means, exactly.
                          We have no idea what is required to make a connection to the gate in the next galaxy, but, it is a possible solution that doesn't require any extra ordinary revelation that has yet been stated in the show.
                          To try and guess what that would be is inane.
                          Because of the hiatus, we do get to imagine what Eli's solution may be, but it has to be a solution based on what we already know of the stargate reality.
                          Not unlike the wormhole drive in the last episode of stargate Atlantis, something completely out of the left field.
                          Yes, I know that gating to the first gates in the next galaxy has some loose ends to take care of, however, it is something that can be done, it follows the stargate reality rules, it wouldn't require any extra ordinary shenanigans.

Comment

Every time we sundive we recharge to 'max' but what our max is, is only 40% or less now of what is possible for the destiny to hold due to damage.

Comment

So, what are we left with?
                              Trying to survive in the shuttle for 3 years? Not feasible.
                              Agreed.

Trying to suspend his life in the Gate Event horizon? Many technical problems.
                              Wrong. This one is easy for the writers to script.

What else is there?
                              I don't see any other solutions, do you?
                              At least gating to one of the first gates in the next galaxy would require some power. We do know there are some power left above what is required to make the journey, we just have no idea what that means, exactly.
                              Actually, we do. If Eli keeps the life support turned on for more than x weeks, then everyone dies in the space between galaxies. The surplus power is razor thin: The amount required for life support in the small section that Eli inhabits.

We have no idea what is required to make a connection to the gate in the next galaxy, but, it is a possible solution that doesn't require any extra ordinary revelation that has yet been stated in the show.
                              You would have them abandon Destiny and try their luck at surviving on an unknown planet?

Yes, I know that gating to the first gates in the next galaxy has some loose ends to take care of
                              What you propose is an alternate ending to the series. Instead of sleeping in the pods, they strand themselves on a planet and hope to survive. If they do as you propose, Destiny will not reach the new galaxy for untold milennia (because it will fall short and drift the rest of the way, because you used the power to gate ahead of Destiny).

Misfit, please read the the thread from the beginning if you intend to propose more "solutions".

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                POWER is the limiting factor, and we have little of it (only 40% of max from what they say).
                                They had 20% energy at the best of times.
                                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X