Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremyadamson View Post
    tHE FIELD THAT SURROUNDS DESTINY WHEN IT enters FTL vaporizes drones, id imagine high energy particles from a beam weapon wouldnt stand up to it very well. I saw it as a sort of temporal force sheild that def;ects the radiation and protect the ship from any friction incurred during FTL travel.
    Lets imagine that the shield on Destiny in FTL is impregnable though; Destiny would remain unharmed if it collided with another object, but that object would certainly be destroyed. Unlike hyperdrive, FTL means that Destiny remains in normal space just travelling very very fast.

That would make Destiny an awesome weapon. Why run from the drones when you could just plot a course to ram the command ships in FTL. They wouldn't see what hit them!

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
      Lets imagine that the shield on Destiny in FTL is impregnable though; Destiny would remain unharmed if it collided with another object, but that object would certainly be destroyed. Unlike hyperdrive, FTL means that Destiny remains in normal space just travelling very very fast.

That would make Destiny an awesome weapon. Why run from the drones when you could just plot a course to ram the command ships in FTL. They wouldn't see what hit them!
      Or, plot the course to land you right before the star, past the command ship. Or even a bit before it, and exit FTL all guns blazin at the cs...

Comment

That's assuming the impact doesn't destroy the destiny.

Personally i feel they should do one more drop out not "Right ontop of a drone command ship, but before it enough that we can get our main gun to bear before it can bring the drones online, THEN dip in for another recharge, just before we leave the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          that's assuming the impact doesn't destroy the destiny.

Personally i feel they should do one more drop out not "right ontop of a drone command ship, but before it enough that we can get our main gun to bear before it can bring the drones online, then dip in for another recharge, just before we leave the galaxy.
          glad to see everyones payin attention

Comment

One thing that has been bugging me since they brought the first drone aboard, They said the drones had a friend or FOE program/protocol. What IF they set it up so Destiny was marked as Friend when it came near one (this may have been answered, just can't remember)
            Or
            The race that invented the drones must have had a way of controlling them and telling the drones that they were the creators/owners of them of them, why couldn't they grab another drone and try and work out what this was.
            To me that would be the more simpler solution or at least one that was worth investigating. Even more so after they realised that it was the Stargate drawing the drones towards them.

This not the only things that bugged me in the stargate series (yes I know it's a TV Show and all)
            another example is back in SG1 when Jack got the Ancient knowledge and reprogrammed the dialling computer with all the extra Gates, to me it would be let him continue, hell they may have got Atlantis's and Destiny's Address back then.
            (Again I know it's a show and I guess they couldn't let them get too much of a head start on technology.. lol)

Comment

Who's to say jacks head grabber had the atlantis/destiny info in them>

But i do like your idea of adding them as "Friend"..

Comment

[QUOTE=garhkal;13884944]Who's to say jacks head grabber had the atlantis/destiny info in them>

I could possible understand that Atlantis's address may not of been in the Ancient database as Atlantis may have been moved. Destiny was launched well before Atlantis was created, going on what we know.

I was under the assumption that these things stored the entire Ancient knowledge, it's fair to say that there was a butt load of knowledge in that database. Jack was stopped in the middle of entering all that machine code, so my thoughts are that in the 'Stargate universe' had he been let to continue, those addresses 'may' have come up eventually too.

He was doing something that gave them more knowledge and this was realised pretty much straight away when the new Gate addresses started popping up and didn't match the existing Gates found on Abydos, just saying if that were me in charge, I would have let him continue.

Comment

I think the real plot-line mistake was that Eli was able to hack into the drones so easily and then take control of them. It's a real obvious design flaw in your highly advanced weapon if you build them to allow the enemy to take over control.

There are a lot of plot weaknesses where if they followed common sense they really should have been able to make more out of some in-show opportunities. The fans love when they get new tech or get a strategic advantage over their enemies, but the show wouldn't last that long if we just advanced to the top of the food chain too quickly.

Comment

I think the real plot-line mistake was that Eli was able to hack into the drones so easily and then take control of them. It's a real obvious design flaw in your highly advanced weapon if you build them to allow the enemy to take over control.
                    Isn't there a really successful movie where the resistance reprogram a human-form robot and send it back in time as protection against an even more advanced robot? Best will in the world, the drones are intended to do only one thing, approach the target and blow up. Like the mine in "Serpent's Venom" they're reasonably assumed never to be capturable. The software in a modern Reaper drone won't be encoded during flight, it can't be. So being able to "capture" one would allow the opposition to download, study and reprogram.

Comment

Er he didn't exactly take over control did he. All he did was change Destiny to a friend and the other command ship to a Foe. The drones did the rest. He didn't have actual control over them like he could fly them etc.

I actually really liked this plot too so don't slate it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil5150 View Post
                        just saying if that were me in charge, I would have let him continue.
                        Maybe allowing him to continue would have hastened his mind switching over..

There are a lot of plot weaknesses where if they followed common sense they really should have been able to make more out of some in-show opportunities.
                        True, but common sense would have had the Gou'ald butt stomping us before we ever got as powerful as we did.. and would that have made for a long series? Doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                          Best will in the world, the drones are intended to do only one thing, approach the target and blow up.
                          The only time we saw the Berzerker drones blow up by their own accord was when the shields had been modified to make their weapons useless. It's not the regular modus operandi of the drones in SGU. Are you thinking of the Ancient Drones?

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                          Like the mine in "Serpent's Venom" they're reasonably assumed never to be capturable.
                          Nope, If they made that assumption it was not a 'reasonable assumption' to make as evidenced by the ease with which Destiny captured one.

True, but common sense would have had the Gou'ald butt stomping us before we ever got as powerful as we did.. and would that have made for a long series? Doubt it.
                          The Gou'ald did stomp on us in the vast majority of alternate realities, just that our reality got lucky.

Comment

Exactly. Had Plot imunity not been there, and the Gou'ald have used common sense, our reality would have more than likely, ended up the same way as those alternates did..

Comment

Exactly. Had Plot imunity not been there, and the Gou'ald have used common sense, our reality would have more than likely, ended up the same way as those alternates did..
                              Quite. Given the later detail, once Ra died some other Goa'uld should have stomped in and taken over Abydos and Earth as part of his/her realm.

Comment

Why are everybody going nuts over this problem?

The answer is simple.
                                Eli searched the first few gates in the next galaxy, found one that is hospitable, dialed it, and stepped through the gate.
                                Plenty of Air, hopefully he'll find water and food, but nothing spectacular necessary.

Anyone have a problem with this solution?

Comment

Working...
                                X