Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Eli fix the Stasis pod or come up with another solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
    Who knows if the ability to blacklist gates is even available with Destiny's gate technology, Atlantis' gates are the newest incarnation of them and it's also the only place we've seen other gates blacklisted (that I can remember).
    Well the SGC is able to blacklist other gates with their 'basic' dialling computer / interface to the gate so there is no reason why the ancients 'advanced' technology on their 'early' gates could not do the same thing. It would be almost certain that such a basic ability would be built into the gates from the start.

Also, consider that Destiny's address is an access code, so it's really no different than the Atlantis Expedition dialing the city from Earth. The right factors were in play and the wormhole was established.
    I thought the 9th chevron was an additional range calculation myself.. we know thats what the producers intended to introduce as there was a scene with McKay and Zelenka arguing about it - the scene was deleted though but this was clearly the line of thought the producers were looking to introduce.

Now, I don't doubt Eli's ability (especially if he communicated with Earth to collaborate) to block even a nine-chevron dial attempt, but that would in theory block everyone including our own people which would probably wouldn't be very wise.
    No it wouldn't. All it would do would mean that when the stasis pods woke the crew, the gate would also re-activate and Eli would walk through OR he could just do something really simple.. like leaving a note on the dialling terminal saying "Press here to save Eli - don't dial anywhere else". Like I said though, Destiny is a mysterious and advanced ship, for all we know it may well be able to transfer buffers between itself and the gate. We don't know that it can but we also don't know that it can't either so it remains a plausible theory.

Comment

Only real question is, how much power (which they're drastically short of, remember) does it take to fire up the Stargate and store Eli for three years? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty plausible way out of their problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
        Well the SGC is able to blacklist other gates with their 'basic' dialling computer / interface to the gate so there is no reason why the ancients 'advanced' technology on their 'early' gates could not do the same thing. It would be almost certain that such a basic ability would be built into the gates from the start.
        The SGC also jury-rigged a Puddle Jumper to allow Atlantis to cloak itself. So it's not to say that the tech isn't capable of such functions, but rather that the Ancients possibly, like the Asgard, advanced to such a state that they maybe didn't think of more creative uses of their technology. So Destiny may not have the innate ability to block any incoming wormholes, but it's something that the Tau'ri could probably "tweak" to do so.

I thought the 9th chevron was an additional range calculation myself.. we know thats what the producers intended to introduce as there was a scene with McKay and Zelenka arguing about it - the scene was deleted though but this was clearly the line of thought the producers were looking to introduce.
        Yeah, that might have been the initial course TPTB wanted to go but apparently they changed their mind in Air, Part 1 since Eli determined that it may be the case and his hypothesis was confirmed when they used Earth's Point of Origin and a wormhole connected.

No it wouldn't. All it would do would mean that when the stasis pods woke the crew, the gate would also re-activate and Eli would walk through OR he could just do something really simple.. like leaving a note on the dialling terminal saying "Press here to save Eli - don't dial anywhere else". Like I said though, Destiny is a mysterious and advanced ship, for all we know it may well be able to transfer buffers between itself and the gate. We don't know that it can but we also don't know that it can't either so it remains a plausible theory.
        Yeah, I can see that succeeding except if there were a problem and either the stasis pods failed and the crew died and/or there was a miscalculation and Destiny dropped out of FTL long before reaching the next galaxy and simply drifted. They determined if that were to happen they would be drifting for a few thousand years at least.

Comment

Easy way to get round cast not renewing their contract too: stasis pod malfunction...

Comment

The SGC also jury-rigged a Puddle Jumper to allow Atlantis to cloak itself.
            The SGC? I thought it was McKay and Zelenka?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
              Wouldn't the genius that is Eli be able to come up with a way of setting the gate so that it thinks it's already dialled, or similar, to prevent another incoming connection?
              That;s assuming there is a way to program around that safety feature.

We know from Atlantis (as I've already pointed out, that the gates can operate on a blacklist or whitelist and have addresses rejected or accepted. This is how the wraith never managed to dial into Atlantis in the 10k years that it was submerged - because Earth was the only address on the whitelist.
              But those were the more 'up to date' gates..

Only real question is, how much power (which they're drastically short of, remember) does it take to fire up the Stargate and store Eli for three years? Otherwise, it seems like a pretty plausible way out of their problem.
              That to me would be the biggest reason he wouldn't go that route.

Comment

The SGC? I thought it was McKay and Zelenka?
                Yes you're correct, it was McKay and Zelenka. My main point was the Tau'ri in general using Ancient tech in a somewhat "unorthodox" manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                  One solution to the power issue is to have the shuttle power hooked straight into the gate.
                  Could be possible to bridge the connection.

The problem with Teal'c was the gates "crystals" were holding the energy and a new gate dial would flush the crystals.

Also the energy would dissipate over time.
                  If the Shuttle could keep the gate powered and keep the energy stable for those 3 years he should be ok.

Obviously some tech issues that would cause problems but its Sci Fi they could just bull crap it.

Comment

I doubt the Stargate would ever be used to store people(it's way too dangerous, hell they blew up a DHD when it happened to Teal'c), but I think either Eli managed to fix the pod or transferred himself into Destiny
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Yeah but what you have to remember back then is that the SGC was still in its infancy when it came to understanding the stargate and the DHD. Although they had some intel on what to do, it still doesn't mean that was right OR that they understood it 100%.

The point is, the matter stream WAS successfully stored. It WAS successfully retrieved and it WAS successfully output through an event horizon. That means it can be done but the technique might just need perfecting a bit.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think it could work. If Eli used the communication stones to lock Destiny's gate out from any incoming nine chevron calls for a pre-determined amount of time (I think they estimated the journey to the next galaxy would take approximately three years, so perhaps Eli programmed Destiny to deactivate the block after three years) then storing himself in the gate buffer may be a good idea, at least for a plan B.

In the meantime, I'd hope that the SGC were committing its resources to scouring for a new planet to dial from and perhaps developing a way to interface their Naquadah generators with Destiny so that if they are able to dial Destiny after three years or so and send a care package, then they could send some generators to help power Destiny on the off chance that it's run out of power short of their destination.

I know we've said Earth would never put so much effort and resources into rescuing a mere 80 people, but I think the implications of having a reliable, consistent connection to Destiny are significant and in Earth's best interests to pursue.

Comment

Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution. I think Eli lives in the shuttle or space suit for the duration and probably has enough food/water/oxygen just for himself since everyone else is in stasis.

He uses the time to keep investigating the Destiny database to learn more Ancient stuff and try to find a way to free Ginn. He uses the stones to visit Earth and work with SGC on technology transfer.

Comment

I got the impression that there wouldn't be enough power/food/water (delete as applicable) even for that, and it was (at the time of saying goodbye to the Colonel) a non-survivable option.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi described several scenarios that the writers kicked around for the question of what happens to Eli. It's an interesting read. If you like this thread, you'll like that blog post. (If you find it, post a link here for the others please.)

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                                Not sure it even needs a high-tech solution. I think Eli lives in the shuttle or space suit for the duration and probably has enough food/water/oxygen just for himself since everyone else is in stasis.
                                In Guantlet it was quite clearly explained that there was not enough supplies for a 3 year trip. Granted that was for the entire crew but Young did say they barely had enough for a month. That still wouldn't last Eli a 3 year journey even if the shuttles had a fridge freezer to store food. Then there is the lack of a toilet.. The lack of long term life support (Don't forget, the shuttles recharge directly from Destiny sucking more power from it). Using the shuttles just isn't feasible. You're forgetting the very basics of survival are not offered by a shuttle for the long term.

The stargate at least offers matter stream storage in a buffer. I know people have been banging on about the power requirements for that but who says there are any at all? - Your usb thumb drive doesn't need power to keep its files intact does it! The ancients were far smarter than us so I think its safe to say that the gate will hold onto the buffer in case of emergency power cuts etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X