This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mardus View Post
    If you can afford a Blu-Ray player _and_ a large wide-screen television, then you can afford a DVD box set and then later on a Blu-Ray box set. In such as situation, the "No Blu-Ray, No Buy" meme is not good, because you need to show your support to MGM about SGU, that it would be worthwhile for them to publish Season 2 in Blu-Ray.
    Frankly, that's complete and utter bull. I'm not buying something twice on the exceedingly unlikely chance that I can 'convince' the nebulous and unreliable studio to change their mind. I have a nice TV and a PS3 because I put up the cash for quality things. I didn't buy a half-broken PS3 in hopes that Sony would release a better one that we damn well know they have in their possession.

Anyway, I emailed FOX Home yesterday and got the usual disappointing response.

Hello,

With the releases of Stargate Continuum, Ark of Truth, Atlantis Fans' Choice, Stargate Universe Season 1, and now Stargate Atlantis complete series all on Blu-ray (of which I own all of the above), I'm a bit puzzled about Stargate Universe season 2. The first season is on BD and looks and sounds tremendous, one of the best BD sets I have. But there doesn't seem to be a season 2 set of SGU on BD anywhere in North America, only DVD.

As I no longer buy sub-standard releases (ie: DVD), and being a big fan of SGU, I'm more than a bit disappointed that it doesn't seem to have hit shelves here yet. With it already out on DVD here and available on BD in Region B, I can only assume that FOX is waiting for some reason before releasing it over here. So when is the BD Region A release of SGU season 2 coming?
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your interest in SGU season 2 BD, unfortunately, we do not show this season being available in BD in the upcoming months. You may check back with us in the near future more updates, this is all the information we have to provide on this.

Thank you,
    Customer Care
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That sounds like the response of an employee who has access to about the same information as we do. I don't think we can glean too much from that.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        That sounds like the response of an employee who has access to about the same information as we do. I don't think we can glean too much from that.
        Which post by "That" do you have in mind?
        • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
        • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
        • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Frankly, that's complete and utter bull. I'm not buying something twice on the exceedingly unlikely chance that I can 'convince' the nebulous and unreliable studio to change their mind. I have a nice TV and a PS3 because I put up the cash for quality things. I didn't buy a half-broken PS3 in hopes that Sony would release a better one that we damn well know they have in their possession.
          But maybe you also have a second tv at home? In the kitchen, for example, or in your bedroom? Maybe it's not the biggest and flattest, but you still have it for the sake of convenience?

Or why haven't you not yet gotten a better, 3D tv? Until you can get your hands on that, you're having a good time with your nice tv, and for the same reason you could just as well get an SGU Season 2 DVD box set, until an SGU S2 Blu-Ray box set is there for you.

The difference between a half-broken PS3, a newer and improved PS3, and SGU S2 DVD & Blu-Ray box sets is that the SGU DVD box set is not half-broken, unless physically damaged by someone.

And that unreliability might be because MGM only has enough means for "Bond" and "The Hobbit"; Go see those movies, keep a receipt or a ticket stub and snailmail it to MGM, politely asking for a Blu-Ray release of SGU S2. That way you can show your commitment to MGM whilst avoiding buying the same thing twice (the SGU S2 optical disc box set).

In my opinion, Sony is the kind of company that I am sure can afford and should bear the act of its current and potential customers perform a waiting game; given also the fact that it's one of MGM's former owners before MGM went through a bankruptcy, and the Sony rootkit scandal, to boot.

As things appear now, you're currently out of luck with any Season 2 disc set, with one type of set nevertheless available and longingly waiting for you to buy it :>
          • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
          • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Which post by "That" do you have in mind?
            The one directly above mine.

Comment

Wait until black friday.

Comment

But maybe you also have a second tv at home? In the kitchen, for example, or in your bedroom? Maybe it's not the biggest and flattest, but you still have it for the sake of convenience?

Or why haven't you not yet gotten a better, 3D tv? Until you can get your hands on that, you're having a good time with your nice tv, and for the same reason you could just as well get an SGU Season 2 DVD box set, until an SGU S2 Blu-Ray box set is there for you.

The difference between a half-broken PS3, a newer and improved PS3, and SGU S2 DVD & Blu-Ray box sets is that the SGU DVD box set is not half-broken, unless physically damaged by someone.

And that unreliability might be because MGM only has enough means for "Bond" and "The Hobbit"; Go see those movies, keep a receipt or a ticket stub and snailmail it to MGM, politely asking for a Blu-Ray release of SGU S2. That way you can show your commitment to MGM whilst avoiding buying the same thing twice (the SGU S2 optical disc box set).

In my opinion, Sony is the kind of company that I am sure can afford and should bear the act of its current and potential customers perform a waiting game; given also the fact that it's one of MGM's former owners before MGM went through a bankruptcy, and the Sony rootkit scandal, to boot.

As things appear now, you're currently out of luck with any Season 2 disc set, with one type of set nevertheless available and longingly waiting for you to buy it :>
                Filming and producing something in high-def, and then going on to sell it only in sub-standard version is breaking it.

And I have no idea what you're on about with TVs. Spending money on nice things is absolutely a different animal than wasting money on crappy things. I'm not interested in wasting money on a sub-standard release to 'show support' to a franchise I've already supported by watching on TV and buying every DVD and BD to date until SGU S2. You seem to have a rather bizarre misunderstanding of how corporate/consumer relationships work. I don't give them money now, so that they may make a proper version later....for me to give them money for again. That's bull.

Would you pay 15 grand for a bicycle now because you hope Toyota will sell you a car for 20 grand if they get around to making it?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  And I have no idea what you're on about with TVs.
                  Maybe you live alone. The idea is that well-to-do households with more than one member usually have redundancies, such as a second car, a landline telephone (in case a hurricane strikes), etc.

Spending money on nice things is absolutely a different animal than wasting money on crappy things. I'm not interested in wasting money on a sub-standard release to 'show support' to a franchise I've already supported by watching on TV and buying every DVD and BD to date until SGU S2.
                  I wouldn't waste my money on Atlantis, or SG-1 seasons prior to Ben Browder and Claudia Black. Of course, that's a matter of taste.

Would you pay 15 grand for a bicycle now because you hope Toyota will sell you a car for 20 grand if they get around to making it?
                  Would you eat normal (average) food for a month, or refuse to eat 30+ days waiting for Russian black caviar or some other rare food item, which might or might not be supplied at all — just because you've been eating average food (and hamburgers) for so many years in the first place? I mean, you've been supporting the food industry for so long already :>
                  Last edited by Mardus; 03 September 2011, 07:08 AM. Reason: Punctuation, wording

Comment

Working...
                  X