Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
    Are you seriously telling me that after 15 seasons, the action in SGA still got your heart pumping? Seriously? I'll admit, it had its fair share of cool moment, just like SG-1, but most of the action in the later years of the franchise was tedious. It was simply going through the motions.
    Yeah, SGA was real fun to watch. SG1 and SGA was something you can escape to, you know. Great imagine based entertainment. I would love to see SGU incorporate more of that kind of escapism. The character moments of SGU don't have to go, just cut back a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Derocalypse View Post
      SG1 and SGA action was real fun and cool to watch, making for real exciting television. It was great sci fi viewing pleasure. To me SGU needs more of that type of action or something close to it. I mean more close combat and explosions, something to get your heart pumping. Its what help keep stargate going for 15 years. I wouldn't mind seeing some members of the Destiny on a planet fighting a bunch of hostile sentient aliens. You know with lots of shooting and explosions and all that stuff. It would be fun viewing pleasure.
      Yeah, SGA was real fun to watch. SG1 and SGA was something you can escape to, you know. Great imagine based entertainment. I would love to see SGU incorporate more of that kind of escapism. The character moments of SGU don't have to go, just cut back a little.
      For me, there has to be something more than "real fun and cool to watch" (which is highly subjective in any case. I find SGU cool to watch) or why would I bother wanting to watch it year after year? Just how many explosions and pew pew moments can you watch before wanting something with substance? 45 minutes times 20 shows a season - that's a hell of a lot of time to spend. Sure, I can watch mindless good fun for the span of a couple of hours in a movie but for that length of time? I want more. I want to know those people on the screen and be in their world. If you've ever lived anywhere where explosions and stuff is common, believe me, it starts to pall after a while. So no. SGU doesn't need that at all. SGU is just fine, thanks.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Yeah, sure. Escapism is great and all, but my point is that the action you're trumpeting was repetitive, bordering on tedious. Shoot an ungodly amount of bullets at Jaffa/Wraith, watch as they fall down. Repeat ad nauseam.

Sure, SGA in particular had cool sparks once in a while, with a more space and ship-based line of action-focused story-telling, which allowed for some new stuff, but, looking at it objectively, I can't help but feel that a lot of the action you loved was, well...not something to hold the episode together. I mean, when you have something on the scale of BAMSR, Lost City, Rising...Sure, the action really is awe-inspiring. But the very large majority of the franchise didn't feature that kind of action - especially in SG-1 - but rather the bang-bang, repetitive fire fights. Again, that's nice and all, but it's hardly memorable. How many Jaffa did O'Neill alone shoot? A few thousand?

Personally, I always hoped they'd be able to recreate the kind of magic they had in Heroes for their planet-side action. That was incredibly awesome. It was dynamic, busy and dramatic. It wasn't just O'Neill/Sheppard shooting a couple times, ducking behind a rock, throwing out a one-liner, then shooting some more.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
          Yeah, sure. Escapism is great and all, but my point is that the action you're trumpeting was repetitive, bordering on tedious. Shoot an ungodly amount of bullets at Jaffa/Wraith, watch as they fall down. Repeat ad nauseam.

Sure, SGA in particular had cool sparks once in a while, with a more space and ship-based line of action-focused story-telling, which allowed for some new stuff, but, looking at it objectively, I can't help but feel that a lot of the action you loved was, well...not something to hold the episode together. I mean, when you have something on the scale of BAMSR, Lost City, Rising...Sure, the action really is awe-inspiring. But the very large majority of the franchise didn't feature that kind of action - especially in SG-1 - but rather the bang-bang, repetitive fire fights. Again, that's nice and all, but it's hardly memorable. How many Jaffa did O'Neill alone shoot? A few thousand?

Personally, I always hoped they'd be able to recreate the kind of magic they had in Heroes for their planet-side action. That was incredibly awesome. It was dynamic, busy and dramatic. It wasn't just O'Neill/Sheppard shooting a couple times, ducking behind a rock, throwing out a one-liner, then shooting some more.
          To me they were exciting escapism. You know or I don't know it was fun to watch. I would like to see SGU incorporate more of some of that kind of escapism. To me SGU does not have to be that realistic. SGU can have some fun exciting moments to. Doesn't mean it would be mindless action. Just great viewing pleasure.

Comment

E writes: “Will we see/hear about Emily Young in the upcoming season?”

Answer: We certainly will.

Michael writes: “1. As of answering this question, how many episodes have completed scripts?

2. How many episodes are in post production?

3. Are those Blueberry Aliens the only race that’s been interested in Destiny or have others just ignored it?”

Answers: 1. 17 episodes with completed scripts, 2 with completed outlines, one remaining episode to be discussed.

2. Lots.

3. That we know of so far.
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ssive-mailbag/
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Didn't know where else to post this

On the 'Stargate Universe' set: Awesome SFX, realistic Destiny
              http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show...c-destiny.html

Contains spoilers, and spoiler pictures (really)

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
                Didn't know where else to post this

On the 'Stargate Universe' set: Awesome SFX, realistic Destiny
                http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show...c-destiny.html

Contains spoilers, and spoiler pictures (really)
                It seems someone doesn't know the difference between special effects and visual effects
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Ahh, reading through the last few pages of the thread reminds me why I've stayed out of it all summer

So has it actually been confirmed that the baby

Spoiler:
                  bites it?

If so, I may actually watch the season opener!
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                    For me, there has to be something more than "real fun and cool to watch" (which is highly subjective in any case. I find SGU cool to watch) or why would I bother wanting to watch it year after year? Just how many explosions and pew pew moments can you watch before wanting something with substance? 45 minutes times 20 shows a season - that's a hell of a lot of time to spend. Sure, I can watch mindless good fun for the span of a couple of hours in a movie but for that length of time? I want more. I want to know those people on the screen and be in their world. If you've ever lived anywhere where explosions and stuff is common, believe me, it starts to pall after a while. So no. SGU doesn't need that at all. SGU is just fine, thanks.
                    Well to me SGU needs a lot of it or more than it had in season 1. You can have character moments and some crazy shoot out action as well. How realistic is the action on SGU supposed to be? In the episode Space,
                    Spoiler:
                    Scott and Greer were able to take out a bunch of fish alien ships with one shuttle. That scenario is the same as Sheppard or O' neill taking out some alien ships as well when they do space battles or when they do ground battles.
                    What Greer and Scott did was no different. It would of been so cool if the fish heads actually boarded the Destiny for some type of conflict. Doesn't mean the character moments would go away, just not be the only focal point.

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                      I don't agree with your premise. There is plenty of adventure and plenty of suspense and intensity leaving me on the edge of my seat and loving every minute of it. Maybe that's different from action but often I found the "action" in shows like sg-1 very dull because it didn't mean anything. Killing scores of Jaffa without ever feeling that the main characters were really in any danger. I find the show is more about adventure and suspense than it is about drama. The drama is just what happens when you put people in these situations.
                      Really? I can count on my hand how many times there's been actual suspense....as for adventure...there's been almost nothing. They just mope around on the ship whining about going home.
                      It feels good to be alive.
                      Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                        Ahh, reading through the last few pages of the thread reminds me why I've stayed out of it all summer

So has it actually been confirmed that the baby

Spoiler:
                        bites it?

If so, I may actually watch the season opener!
                        LOL, I know what you mean. I need to take another break soon, lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

I would really love to see SGU get a shot of adrenaline in season 2. Hopefully it happens.

Comment

Nope.
                            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Not even a little a bit of adrenaline

Comment

No.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X