• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
    Here's a screencap, I hope it doesn't mean they are now SG25

OMG...... Maybe the timeline did change after all
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Are you sure this numbering system appears on the TV series? I don´t remember it.

Anybody could say is this numbering system is used on TV series?

I think this numbering system means that maybe Cam begins SG Program a little before....

Originally posted by morjana View Post
      That is an odd numbering system...25.16, 25.17, 25.18...but I don't think it means that they're on SG25.

Lord Troncha

Comment

"Room 25, locker 17."

Unless there are at least 18 members of SG-25.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
          "Room 25, locker 17."

Unless there are at least 18 members of SG-25.
          Room 25 makes sense - alternatively it could be Level 25, lockers 16, 17 and 18? It would place this locker room only three levels above the gate, so in proximity to other prep areas like the Infirmary, Malp Garage and canteen? (I'm guessing here!)
          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

I have found a little CGI mistake. When Quetesh and Baal are talking about Tauri, they look out from the spaceship, but somehow the complete Goa'uld fleet is missing.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I saw Continuum playing on the home shopping channel yesterday! They were selling Blu-Ray DVD players and that's what was playing.
              sigpic

Comment

I recently bought the Blu-ray (actually it has the honour of being my very-first Blu-ray disc since I bought a PS3 on the same day!).

I can honestly say that this definitely lived-up to all the hype. It's got to be the closest SG-1 has ever had to having a full-blown big-screen movie. It was really excellent.

As director Martin Wood said in the special features, it incorporates various elements of the entire 10-year run of SG-1 into one story. The best thing, in my opinion, was the inclusion of pretty nearly every recurring character and their uncle Bob. Right from the beginning walk throughout the SGC, you've got Landry, Siler, Walter and Major Davis. The last three may only appear for about three seconds each in the whole movie, but somehow it doesn't matter because as a long-time fan I was just really pleased to see them all. They're all integral to the whole long-running Stargate universe. The later inclusion of nearly all of the Goa'uld system lords is the same. My only regret is that they didn't include Bra'tac too somehow (so did Zipacna, I noticed!). But he at least gets a mention, so he's not totally forgotten. I must also mention it definitely made me smile when Apophis calls Teal'c a "Shol'va". I think it's always been a must-have that when they both meet, this word crops up. LOL!

I also liked the various elements in the story which set this story apart from previous alternate-timeline/reality stories. I know that a lot of people have been saying from day-one (myself included!) that this movie was going to be a retread of "Moebius" from the end of Season 8. But in true Stargate fashion, the writers address this directly and turn it on it's head in various ways. The best example of this is when SG-1 first meet Colonel O'Neill onboard the Alexandria. Having been through this sort of thing before countless times, Daniel churns out the usual fact about Jack's son having shot himself with Jack's gun, hoping that this will get Jack to realise they can be trusted. But instead, this has the opposite effect because Charlie's actually alive in this timeline and so Jack's understandably annoyed. Furthermore, instead of helping SG-1 out, he wants nothing to do with them, calls them freaks and disappears for most of the movie. I thought this was brilliant.

The same later went for the scene with Landry where for the first time he gets really angry and tells SG-1 they have no right to try to change the timeline. I also loved the little bit where Landry says that the Navy, rather than the Air Force, are setting-up the Stargate program. Cameron and Sam's reaction to this was priceless!

As for the effects, I thought they were nothing short of amazing. They really excelled themselves this time. The best bit was obviously the dogfight between the fighter jets and Death Gliders late in the movie. But there were also neat little bits like when the Jaffa storm the Achilles early in the movie, there's a quick shot (pardon the pun!) of a Jaffa firing his staff from one end of the ship and it travelling the entire length of the ship to hit a crewman down the other end.

One thing that obviously wasn't an effect but was just as cool was obviously the visual of the U.S.S. Alexandria breaking through the ice. This is the one scene that had really been hyped-up for months and definitely didn't disappoint. It was really well-done.

Regarding the acting, everyone involved was at their best and maybe even better than ever before. Cliff Simon in particular was really good. I've always been a huge fan of Ba'al and so I was really pleased that Ba'al was going to be the main baddie in this movie. He's always seemed more than simply a moustache-twirling baddie but actually someone with lots of style and wit. I especially loved his comment to Apophis, "That's actually rather good. Did you think that up on the way here?" He then chops the top off Apophis' head before adding, "Or was it just off the top of your head?" Definitely one of the all-time best movie baddie one-liners. I also liked, "There's a God standing here with wet hands!" soon after.

Ba'al then later turns the whole "Invasion of Earth" cliche on it's head by contacting the President directly on a cell-phone! That was a really nice, not to mention hilarious touch by the writers. Ba'al then takes it one step further by talking casually in his un-"flanged" voice. Like I said, this guy has lots of style and wit.

Claudia Black also shone in the movie as she had a change of character and got to play another baddie. I totally didn't see the twist coming late in the movie (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Then again, why are you reading this if you haven't? LOL!). While Vala technically doesn't appear much in the movie, her Goa'uld alter-ego Quetesh does. She definitely joins the other great Goa'uld Queens from the series (Hathor, Amaunet, Nirrti and Osiris) in vamping it up with venom dripping from her teeth.

The music was also a major highlight. As with "The Ark Of Truth", Joel Goldsmith uses a full orchestra and choir for the whole score. This gave loads of scenes lots more excitement, emotion and suspense. I'm really glad I bought the soundtrack. I hope Joel continues to do the music for future Stargate productions. It wouldn't be the same without him.

Finally, I couldn't write a review of the movie without mentioning Don S. Davis. As you all obviously know, this is his last ever appearance as General Hammond. While he wasn't in the movie much, he still had some great scenes. His final scene was perfect for the character as he's seen serving his good friend, President Hayes, to the last. I'll definitely miss both the character and the actor. But I'm glad we got given one more chance to see them both in action.

Stargate: Continuum is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen and I hope it will be for the rest of you. I look forward to future Stargate movies, whether with SG-1 or Atlantis.
                sigpic

Comment

Were all the system lords in the movie?

If so how did Ba'al convince them to fall into line. I can't imagine Ra just being a follower, nor Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

If so how did Ba'al convince them to fall into line. I can't imagine Ra just being a follower, nor Apophis
                    His armies defeated theirs. Basically: fall into line or I'll kill you.

Comment

His armies defeated theirs. Basically: fall into line or I'll kill you.

OK........ Hmmm how cool he had control over them all

Comment

OK........ Hmmm how cool he had control over them all
                        I don't understand the confusion. Ba'al bribed the Jaffa into supporting him with the promise of their freedom. Using them and knowledge of how his enemies would react to certain situations, he forced the capitulation of the other Systems Lords. They either bowed to his will or were killed as Apophis was.

The ones who pledged their loyalty to him were given ships to command in the fleet and presumably planets to govern in his name. They had Jaffa who followed their orders, but who were ultimately loyal to Ba'al. Even Teal'c was supremely loyal to Ba'al, moving to attack the other System Lords when he perceived one of them to insult Ba'al.

Comment

I don't understand the confusion. Ba'al bribed the Jaffa into supporting him with the promise of their freedom. Using them and knowledge of how his enemies would react to certain situations, he forced the capitulation of the other Systems Lords. They either bowed to his will or were killed as Apophis was.

The ones who pledged their loyalty to him were given ships to command in the fleet and presumably planets to govern in his name. They had Jaffa who followed their orders, but who were ultimately loyal to Ba'al. Even Teal'c was supremely loyal to Ba'al, moving to attack the other System Lords when he perceived one of them to insult Ba'al.

I wasn't confused as such hehe... Just surpised the stronger System Lords caved in to Ba'al but then again with his future knowledge he did have a massive advantage.

Comment

Sokar, Anubis and Hathor weren't in the movie. Sokar had presumably been annihilated, Anubis may have been too or never rose to power over them all because Ba'al got there first and Hathor would still probably be in her sarcophagus on Earth. Osiris would also still be in her jar.

Zipacna also got a mention, although I remember he was more of an underling Goa'uld rather than a System Lord.
                            sigpic

Comment

1. First cool moment - Ba'al on the ship in 1939(and the whole Mitchill-grandfather thing).

2. Second cool moment - SG1 arriving on the frozen Achilles. The first hint they got that they were seriously screwed.

3. Alt-Landry had a point(particularly given that Charlie survived in this reality) but hello...in your reality Earth is a sitting duck. Worth a gamble no?

4. Liked Ba'al's tactics...just not dead cert why Quetesh felt she had to literally stab him in the back.

5. "We are Americans - shoot the people chasing us".

6. Mitchell had to live through the 1930s! Ugh!

Overall...seriously good!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I love Continuum! Not too long or too short. A story that introduces new problems before the old ones are resolved and had me asking, "How are they going to get out of this?" And appearences by a almost every major SG-1character.

During the year (story wise) where Mitchell, Carter, and Jackson were stuck in the alt-timeline I got a little worried it would turn into another "Unending" but thankfully they moved on quickly.

Continuum took everything good about SG-1 and condenced it into a very entertaining movie.
                                "What's your situation?"
                                "I'm hiding. What's yours?"

Comment

Working...
                                X