Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EricG
    replied
    Stargate Command put the movie on youtube free, but it's not HD.

Leave a comment:

• aretood2
    replied
    Originally posted by HolyHannah View Post
    When they send the MALP - Falcon Horus, correct me if I'm wrong - but they say it's going to the other side of our known universe. Which is incorrect, right? The other side of our known galaxy (Milky Way), yes. But not the universe. Abydos is in another Solar System in the Milky Way. Our first experience outside of the universe via gate travel is when we go to Pegasus...?

And then of course, the obvious differences - Cheyenne Mountain vs. Creek Mountain, etc..

Thus concludes my notes. See you at S1E1.
    That's an old (or rather still current) mistake when it comes to people and Sci Fi. For example, people say "Intergalactic" when they really mean "Interstellar". It's just people not realizing how huge the universe really is. What bothers me about that line in the movie itself is that...if Ra's ship travelled such a long time to find a host...I mean...that's a very very very far and long trip even if you use the show's fastest hyperdrive. I think in the show they said that Abydos was one of the closest star systems with a gate.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Ok, you guys. I'm know I'm so super late... My life is crazy.. But Hubby and I have been keeping up with the rewatch, and I'm just late on posting. Promise.
    In your own time... no worries. The threads will not disappear any time soon. Unless the forum goes offline cause Greg is fiddling with updates, or VBulletin is going round in circles or because of a slight disconnect.

Then we panic. Bombard the Alpha site with questions... and calm down again when the forum is back, and act like we haven't spoken each other in ages.

And - don't judge me - I actually took notes during the movie.
    At last... someone else who does that.

First of all, I completely forgot Richard Kind was in this. I never knew him before Lucius Lavin, so when I first watched Stargate, he didn't stand out to me. Now, going back, I was like, "Whoa! Wait a minute... Lucius' real life before becoming an intergalactic con artist."
    I remembered him, but I was surprised to see a very young Aisler (can't remember the actor's name) from NCIS: New Orleans. I was like, "Hey wait a minute, you look familiar. Why are you looking familiar..." ---- " "Oh my goddess, AISLER!?!" *grin*

I have a note that the sarcophagus opens differently than in the show. Now I can't remember how it's different, but that was a note I made. So it must be a thing..?
    It does. In the film the top half retracts upwards, while the middle slides sideways, but in the series, the top stays in place and only the middle pieces open.

But when he emerged from the sarcophagus, he had stuff all over him (again, another note I don't remember making), but Sha're didn't.
    What stuff?
    Can't remember that.

(I also have a note that says No Jaffa, but again, not sure why...?)
    Not like we know him in SG-1, no.

When they send the MALP - Falcon Horus, correct me if I'm wrong - but they say it's going to the other side of our known universe. Which is incorrect, right? The other side of our known galaxy (Milky Way), yes. But not the universe. Abydos is in another Solar System in the Milky Way. Our first experience outside of the universe via gate travel is when we go to Pegasus...?
    I think that was just a goofy mistake. Generally speaking, in scientific terms, the universe is the collection of all of space (galaxies, milky ways, star-clusters, ...), so yes, it would have to have been the other side of the galaxy, in a different solar system. Pegasus Galaxy is a dwarf galaxy in our universe still. And it wasn't the first time we gated that far out though. The Asgard homeworld also used the 8th symbol.

Leave a comment:

• HolyHannah
    replied
    Ok, you guys. I'm know I'm so super late... My life is crazy.. But Hubby and I have been keeping up with the rewatch, and I'm just late on posting. Promise.

And - don't judge me - I actually took notes during the movie. It had been a while since I'd seen it. But now it's been like almost 2 months since we watched the movie, so I don't even really recall why I made some particular notes... But, I'll throw them out anyways. And then I will try to be consistent with my postings.

First of all, I completely forgot Richard Kind was in this. I never knew him before Lucius Lavin, so when I first watched Stargate, he didn't stand out to me. Now, going back, I was like, "Whoa! Wait a minute... Lucius' real life before becoming an intergalactic con artist."

I have a note that the sarcophagus opens differently than in the show. Now I can't remember how it's different, but that was a note I made. So it must be a thing..?

And thus begins the Daniel dying cycle. My hubby has only seen the franchise one time before this rewatch, so he was super excited to see Daniel die and know that it was the first of many.

But when he emerged from the sarcophagus, he had stuff all over him (again, another note I don't remember making), but Sha're didn't.

(I also have a note that says No Jaffa, but again, not sure why...?)

And then of course, the obvious differences - Cheyenne Mountain vs. Creek Mountain, etc..

Thus concludes my notes. See you at S1E1.

Leave a comment:

• aretood2
    replied
    Originally posted by Jper View Post
    9/10 en 6:53 without rewatch of the movie.
    Cool.
    Fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jper View Post
    Cool.
    Good job!

Leave a comment:

• Jper
    replied
    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Promised some fun stuff...

I sincerely hope it works: Stargate (1994) Quiz & Jigsaw

How would you rate Stargate (1994)?

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible
    Cool.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Solved the Stargate (1994) jigsaw in 8:55 -- apparently, according to the website, that is the fastest time so far for this jigsaw.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Really, really cool
    I however had seen a similar effect in Bram Stoker's Dracula a few years beforehand. It's a lot shorter granted, but the idea of crossing "one world to another" via a tunnel really worked in that movie as well.
    While I'm not a fan of VR cause of motion sickness, I think the gate travel effect would be wicked.

Leave a comment:

• Gatefan1976
    replied
    So, what was Stargate like on a big screen?
    Ummm, not that much different than on the small screen to be honest. It really only caught my eye because A) it was Scifi, and I watched pretty much everything scifi back then, and B) It had Egyptian ancient alien mythology in a time when I was questioning the religious paradigm I was born into and was exploring many mythologies.
    Stargate: -the movie- remains to me what it was then, a summer popcorn movie, fun to watch, but pretty forgettable when it is not "on screen". The best thing it probably did for me was get me interested in James Spader as an actor, hence my love for him in Boston Legal and the Blacklist and my forgiveness of Ultron in age of Ultron.

OH, what was the gate travel like on the big screen?
    Really, really cool
    I however had seen a similar effect in Bram Stoker's Dracula a few years beforehand. It's a lot shorter granted, but the idea of crossing "one world to another" via a tunnel really worked in that movie as well.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    They aren't that bad. Just don't pick a screencap when they are in full camouflage gear in the middle of a forest...
    Woops... now that you mention it. I didn't trhink of that.

Will remember that for the next ones.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I saw The movie on the big screen when it first came out. SG-1 came much later, simply because we were not really getting much on the idiot box from Showtime.
    So, what was Stargate like on a big screen?

OH, what was the gate travel like on the big screen?

Leave a comment:

• Gatefan1976
    replied
    I saw The movie on the big screen when it first came out. SG-1 came much later, simply because we were not really getting much on the idiot box from Showtime.

Leave a comment:

• jelgate
    replied
    Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    I'm debating if I should restart my rewatch, I'm on Season 10 of SG-1 and started SGA....*Shakes fist menacingly at FH*[/
    You should join. We need more veterans against the new blood

I saw it when it came on TV, I think it was on TNT. I was young then too. I think 12? 11? 13? Can't remember. At the end, I wondered how our military would deal with an attack. Then I saw this show by the same name was on on the Sci-Fi channel....It's I willed it into existence so I couldn't not watch it. So you're welcome.
    I don't even remember when I first saw the movie. I had already seen seasons of SG1 by the time I saw the movie. Im not sure I would have watched the show if I saw the movie first.

In my defense....I haven't done a puzzle in ages @.@

They aren't that bad. Just don't pick a screencap when they are in full camouflage gear in the middle of a forest...
    If we are being honest I do a puzzle almost every day. I hear it's good for your brain health. I could of done better but it took me a little bit for me to get used to the format

Leave a comment:

• aretood2
    replied
    Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Damn you FH. The last thing I needed to get involved was another rewatch. I think for my own sanity I will follow the order you go in that when you post I will know its time for another episode. I think I couldn't do more than 3 episodes a week. So just keep me appraised of your order and what episodes for each week.
    I'm debating if I should restart my rewatch, I'm on Season 10 of SG-1 and started SGA....*Shakes fist menacingly at FH*

Lets be honest. FH is obsessed with Heightmeyer. Wait that is not it. Well it is but its not what I wanted to be honest about it. I honestly don't care for the original movie. Its starts off good with Daniel uncovering the mystery of the Stargate. But once you get to Abydos it slows to a grinding halt that leaves me bored. Their are some highlights with the mastadige and Jack connecting with Skarra but overall its flat until Ra arrives to explain what he is. Even with Ra and the uprising on Abydos the progress is lacking. Its not always clear how one event leads to another as we battle Ra. Its just feels rushed with lack of explanations.
    I saw it when it came on TV, I think it was on TNT. I was young then too. I think 12? 11? 13? Can't remember. At the end, I wondered how our military would deal with an attack. Then I saw this show by the same name was on on the Sci-Fi channel....It's I willed it into existence so I couldn't not watch it. So you're welcome.

Now for shameless showboating. I got 9 out of 10 on FH's quiz. I thought one was a trick question as they weren't technically Jaffa under the cartoche since Jaffa weren't created until Children of the Gods so I was overthinking. I did know about Jaye Davidson but that is an advantage to me being a long time member so we fans have talked about the strange things that have happened and him running naked was one of the stranger ones. I got 9 minutes and 15 seconds on the puzzle so aretood. Once again curse you FH
    In my defense....I haven't done a puzzle in ages @.@

It's 2-3 episodes a week -- I can't do more either at the moment.

So, it's 102, 103 and 104 this week (ending on Sunday with another quiz and puzzle -- promise to make it less hard, the puzzle, the quiz I don't know yet.)

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    I think I couldn't do more than 3 episodes a week. So just keep me appraised of your order and what episodes for each week.
    It's 2-3 episodes a week -- I can't do more either at the moment.

So, it's 102, 103 and 104 this week (ending on Sunday with another quiz and puzzle -- promise to make it less hard, the puzzle, the quiz I don't know yet.)

Lets be honest. FH is obsessed with Heightmeyer.
    No, I'm not.

*attempts to sound honest*

Who am I kidding? -- Yes, I am.

Now for shameless showboating. I got 9 out of 10 on FH's quiz. I thought one was a trick question as they weren't technically Jaffa under the cartoche since Jaffa weren't created until Children of the Gods so I was overthinking. I did know about Jaye Davidson but that is an advantage to me being a long time member so we fans have talked about the strange things that have happened and him running naked was one of the stranger ones. I got 9 minutes and 15 seconds on the puzzle so aretood. Once again curse you FH
    YAY!!!

Sorry about the overthinking. I noticed later on IMDB they are actually refered to as Anubis and Horus. Ah well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X