No announcement yet.

Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watched the movie again. I do like it, but I can't help but view it with an eye for what is to come.

I love Catherine, no matter what actress plays her. What a great character!

I miss the early James Spaeder inspired Daniel. The later Daniel Jackson especially Seasons 9&10 just don't do it for me.

I like the changes RDA made to the Jack O'Neill character that make him more watchable. But there are moments where Kurt Russell demonstrates a little of what I've come to know as classic Jack. For example, when they sneak into the pyramid at the end, just before he blows away the Anubis gaurd he gives him a little wink and a smile. And when Daniel and Shau'ri kiss at the end Jack gives this cute little shrug.

The one thing I think the TV show got wrong was changing the character of Shau'ri so much. The actress who played her was so much better (and prettier IMO) than the actress who played Sha're. Also, Shau'ri was smart and fiesty. She inspired and led the rebellion. They dumbed her down so much in the TV show. She was a like a simpering child--an empty headed damsel in distress. It was very insulting.

Comment

Yes, movie Shau'ri was absolutely yummy I preferred her.
      Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

- The first time I watched the movie, it felt great, but since SG1 came, the movie always felt boring to me, but not this time. I don't know what happened, but I really felt the thrill in it. I can't explain this, but it really felt awesome.
        - I noticed that James Spader's performance was terrible. Michael Shanks is much better, but unfortunately, he had to imitate that terrible performance and he did it well. That's why I prefer MS as Daniel.
        - Of course Kurt Russel is one of Hollywood's best actors, but he wasn't very good playing "O'Neal". Of course he has some advantages too, but still. RDA is much much better.
        - The one that played Kwalsky in the movie was surprisingly much better than the one that played him on SG1.
        - Shau'ri was definitely better looking, not to mention her very good performance.
        - Alexis Cruz was still learning.
        - It's the first time I considered that Cathering Langford to be a good actress, but still the one on the show was much better in terms of acting performance.
        - I felt like everyone was still young, Earth, O'Neill (or O'Neal whatever), Daniel, Abyods, SGC and even TPTB themselves. They were still building the story from scratch and they did a very good job. Really feels like the very beginning in all ways possible.
        - So many terrible ideas in the movie. Glad they changed it on the show, or I wouldn't have liked it at all.

Anyway, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.
        I read what Roger Ebert said about it. He has some weird ideas about the movie. Even though, I don't usually agree with him, I think he might be right. He's not sure about the message of the movie, he thinks maybe there's a subliminal one, but I'm still not sure about this.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
          I read what Roger Ebert said about it. He has some weird ideas about the movie. Even though, I don't usually agree with him, I think he might be right. He's not sure about the message of the movie, he thinks maybe there's a subliminal one, but I'm still not sure about this.
          Interesting idea. I hadn't considered reading outside reviews of the movie from the time. You can definitely see how most of the movie world discounts and misunderstands science fiction in general and Stargate in particular.

Many of the reviews see that it is sci fi and has "star" in the title and therefore consider it necessary to compare it to Star Wars and Star Trek (the only genre movies they know anything about, but still have only a cursory understanding of). They ignorantly or willfully ignored the originality of the concept and some of the very subtle plot and character choices that make the film so intriguing. The reviewers often complained about how simplistic the plot was, and yet most failed to understand it. For example, many indicated that the Stargate was a time travelling device.

The movie is far from perfect, and I do think the action at the end overtook the plot. But I'm so glad Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner saw the potential of the Stargate as a plot device and the rich characters to be further explored.

Comment

There do seem to be some plotholes in this movie. For example, does the Air Force know what happens when you dial the gate? You get the implication that they do because of O'Neil's comments about "I'm here if you succeed" all of the equipment that they had in the gateroom (including the proto-MALP thing). If so, why were they keeping Daniel in the dark about all of this? Also, Catherine Langford is quite clear that they've managed to dial 6 chevrons just not the 7th. Why not keep spinning the gate until you get to #7?

Still, it is kind of fun to watch this movie. I enjoy seeing the kernels of what would become the universe we all know and love. Spader is clearly the basis for SG-1's Daniel "hippy phase" and it is neat seeing those fancier looking Horus guards (rather than those kind of dull Serpant guards). Also, I wonder if they boxed the sets from LA and shipped them to Vancouver to become the hall portions of the SGC?

I also get as much fun at seeing the things Devlin and Emerich got "wrong," so to speak. No, it's not in another galaxy you dialed 7 chevrons not 8. Two Ls please and give the man a sense of humor! And Walter needed to give those technicians a briefing about how to count out chevrons. Also, how did Lucious Lavin manage to find his way to Stargate Command ;-)?!

Finally, does anybody else say "no Daniel don't get too close to her" when he's kissing Shau'ri?

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
              Interesting idea. I hadn't considered reading outside reviews of the movie from the time. You can definitely see how most of the movie world discounts and misunderstands science fiction in general and Stargate in particular.
              You're gonna read my reviews when we begin the re-watch. I think I watch SG enough times to be able to write reviews.
              Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
              There do seem to be some plotholes in this movie. For example, does the Air Force know what happens when you dial the gate? You get the implication that they do because of O'Neil's comments about "I'm here if you succeed" all of the equipment that they had in the gateroom (including the proto-MALP thing). If so, why were they keeping Daniel in the dark about all of this? Also, Catherine Langford is quite clear that they've managed to dial 6 chevrons just not the 7th. Why not keep spinning the gate until you get to #7?
              They've been working on this for 2 years before Daniel joined them. Of course they managed to figure out something
              When has anything like that ever been revealed even in real life?
              It's not about spinning the gate. It's about the symbol. They didn't know which is the right one. They didn't even know there was such a thing as a point of origin.

I also get as much fun at seeing the things Devlin and Emerich got "wrong," so to speak. No, it's not in another galaxy you dialed 7 chevrons not 8. Two Ls please and give the man a sense of humor! And Walter needed to give those technicians a briefing about how to count out chevrons. Also, how did Lucious Lavin manage to find his way to Stargate Command ;-)?!
              Like I said, I saw them as they were still young in every way possible, these ideas were still not made including the one about the 8 chevrons for another galaxy, and BTW if it was the other side of the galaxy, it would be 9 chevrons not 8 as you said.

Comment

As some have pointed out, there are some plot holes in the movie, but overall it's a very fun film. The highlight of the film, for me at least, is James Spader's Daniel jackson. Such a great character! And while I love the more self-assured Daniel that emerges in later seasons, I'll always like that early, awkward, Daniel best.
                Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Comment

They've been working on this for 2 years before Daniel joined them. Of course they managed to figure out something
                  When has anything like that ever been revealed even in real life?
                  It's not about spinning the gate. It's about the symbol. They didn't know which is the right one. They didn't even know there was such a thing as a point of origin.
                  Okay then, why did the dialing computer monitor show 7 boxes for the chevrons? Catherine Langford clearly states that they dialed 6, you've got 33 more tries (assuming they don't repeat) to find #7.

Like I said, I saw them as they were still young in every way possible, these ideas were still not made including the one about the 8 chevrons for another galaxy, and BTW if it was the other side of the galaxy, it would be 9 chevrons not 8 as you said.
                  I know all those details, that's why it makes it fun to point that out.

Comment

Okay then, why did the dialing computer monitor show 7 boxes for the chevrons? Catherine Langford clearly states that they dialed 6, you've got 33 more tries (assuming they don't repeat) to find #7.
                    Again I'll repeat what I said, the only problem was that they couldn't find the seventh symbol. They already knew there had t be one and that's why they programmed it in the computer, they just didn't know which one. That's where Daniel came. HE re-translated everything and found the seventh symbol.
                    One other thing, just because they knew there was a seventh symbol doesn't mean they knew it was meant to be the point of origin. Daniel figured that part out. They thought it was a code. A sequence.

Comment

Well let me start by saying I am watching the Directors cut. Also I figured I would keep this post open while watching the movie.

Having watch SG1 and SGA full threw at least 3 times now Its always fun to come back to what started it all.

I do know that in the Directors cut they make it seem like everyone knows what the "device" for. The fossil for one. When jack comes in he points to the fossil and say's "You know thanks to that guy, things are going to be way more complicated." the guard responds thats why you are here. There is more but thats the dead give away, but then again in the theatrical version we don't see that.

I also like how the Wormhole looks in the movies with the pool spinning behind it. I'm guessing that was cut from SG1 because it was more CG then they had money for.

I'm Definitely more of a James Spader style Daniel Jackson, over The later season of the MS version. But in saying that 7-8 years of dealing with the stuff he has to is bound to change a man.

LOL at French Staurt.

As to the animal they encounter; it is surprising that SG1 didn't make up more alien creatures.

I notice they come across a mine operation at first.Which is right along with what that goa'uld do to enslaved planets. Is this a naquadah mine? they do say its made of the same material as the gate itself. Because if it is man oh man did SG command screw up. anyway moving on.

I like how they made a point in showing that writing was forbidden.

Wish we would of seen the city in SG1, but kinda a big set I guess.

I wonder if the humans nex to ra were supposed to be Goa'uld. Also why would he show them that his human form, and not only his mask form.

Interesting, ra says he created our civilization. going completely against what Sg1 goes with. But he is goa'ild so he could be lying.

I wonder why they didnt just fire their guns at the goa'uld, i guess skari and the other kids really didn't know what they did.

(Let me just say thank god for auto save. clicked the wrong thing and stuff went bad. buto auto save bailed me out.)

Man that was the longest 1:30 of all time. And man 45 seconds to get to space that was lucky.

All in all, I do still love this movie, Its not as good as the Series, but where would we be with out it. I may cheat a little and watch COTD a little early, but that doesn't mean I wont rewatch.

Great idea on the Rewatch

Starfox over and out.

Comment

Also, how did Lucious Lavin manage to find his way to Stargate Command ;-)?
                        Ohhh, Lucius. That cracks me up every time. I keep thinking to myself, "WHY are they taking that man seriously?" lol
                        I do love this movie, though, a whole lot more than I expected to.
                        sigpic
                        Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

In the middle of rewatching the movie now. It's highly entertaining seeing where the series came from. Anyone else notice that the "Goa'uld" looks more like an Asgard then the snake heads we see in the series?

Comment

Originally posted by ~NASHARA~ View Post
                            In the middle of rewatching the movie now. It's highly entertaining seeing where the series came from. Anyone else notice that the "Goa'uld" looks more like an Asgard then the snake heads we see in the series?
                            Yeah I know in some of the Stargate role playing games, Ra's host was an ancient asgard.

Comment

I think the Horus guards and Anubis looked absolutely fantastic in the film (that's what a bigger budget will get you), and the snake-heads in the TV series never worked. They looked pretty cheesy and ridiculous.
                              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Just finished the movie. Damn time flies fast. I already forgot that I forgot everything from that movie It was like watching it the first time.
                                Really enjoyed it.
                                The funniest thing is that having seen all the stargate episodes I was watching that movie and was thinking oh that man is going to die in the second episode, and that man is going to be a father in law for Daniel. And the star map at the Command talking in robot voice
                                Also what's up with Ra's guard being Anubis? Anubis from SG-1 being ascended and all would be very upset about the use of his name
                                Those energy weapons were much more powerful, and gave quite a recoil when fired, but when they hit a human body, it was just a burn mark. I would have thought it would blow a body to bits. No wonder they dialed it down in TV series. Also they changed Sha're name from Sha'uri. In movie and series actors of Sha're were selected perfectly in my opinion.
                                Ra's guard looked very cool, and hey outfits as well.
                                I am a big fan of James Spader, at least I love him from Boston Legal. He managed to portray Daniel perfectly, and Michael Shanks picked it over perfectly from James. It was like watching same actor.
                                Regarding their thinking that they travelled to the edge of the known universe and later on changing it to Abydos being closest to us. Who knows maybe in the movie Command's tracking methods were not up to par and they just reported wrong results.
                                Also I think Goa'uld did not look like Asgard, maybe in shape, but nothing else.
                                Overall I really enjoyed the movie, but SG-1 is still my favourite because it expanded on that idea.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X