Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightofXion
    replied
    Wow, that was really good. About the visual effects, I noticed the rings beaming up to the ship looked the same as in the series which I hadn't noticed before.

I really like the old-style cheeky animal puppetry compared to new-age CGI creature's liked the aliens created for SGU. I feel like I get a better idea of what they look like. In SG1 the ashard puppets do the same for me and I feel they lost a little when they went CGI but that is for another episode.

@FalconHorus, I loved your synopsis. I too agree the ending wasn't mindblowing, but as it did 'open the gate' for the series (which is all I really care about) I too will forgive them.

When I first watched this movie, I think it was before I saw the series. I did enjoy it but it also wasn't a 'gotta see it again' film. The series does so much more justice.

See you at S1E1!

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Here we go peeps!

Originally posted by Metallica93 View Post
    I've seen the original cut once and unknowingly watched the director's cut this run through.
    It looks like I watched the director's cut -- I didn't even know that existed but it is the DVD that's in my sister's collection. Now, this also means that there are scenes which were colored differently and it did make the whole thing a bit jarring at times. However, it didn't do anything to the overall story which I have to say is quite linear, almost boring. Not that the story is boring but it feels like it's unnecessarily long (if that makes sense). If anyone's familiar with the UK show Strictly Come Dancing, you'd be familiar with Len Goodman who was sometimes unhappy with dances when there was too much mucking about and not enough dancing. Well, I think that a lot of times in the film there was too much mucking about and not enough moving forward.

I haven't seen this film too many times -- about three times I think, and the first time I saw it was somewhere between season 4 and 5 of SG1 and I didn't like it then. I guess, I gotten used to O'Neill with 2 L's and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson. However, I did very much like Ra's guards and I still do, the Anubis ones and the Horus ones. They tickle the little prop-maker in me.

Onwards to the story...

It's pretty straightforward with the alien coming to earth, taking over the boy and using it's advanced stage in evolution to control the humans until the humans rise up and chase him off. They bury the gate (and flatten two guards in the process) and all stays hidden until 1928 when Langford's diggers uncover the Door to Heaven Stargate.

Sidenote: there's a scene when Daniel is telling the story to Jack where we see the rebellion on Earth, where people are carrying a jaffa, which is repeated when the Abydonians rise up against the two guards in the end.

From there we jump a couple of years and go straight into trying to figure out what this thing is supposed to do. A translation team, we learn, has been working on it for 2 years and Daniel solves the mystery in two weeks (give or take).

Sidenote: ... and the time jump gives me pause because where is Stargate Origin going to take place in this timeline. If we look to the casting of Catherine Langford, I'm assuming it's in her early twenties and there's no indication in this film that she worked on figuring out what the ring does previous to the project in the mountain.

By this time the military has taken over and what do the jarheads in the military do -- they don't think outside the box, and think there's only one doorway so they want to blow it up. Good plan, flawed of course, but what else are you going to do with something you don't understand... Yeah, study it -- that's one option but it doesn't involve enough of BOOM!!!

Cheeky Daniel claiming he can get them home, sneaky little fella... just to get onto the team. It's cute that he's the only one to test the eventhorizon before stepping through, and I always LOVED the long trip. It's like a freakin' rollercoaster ride. The effect of the gate, when Daniel's face is ripped apart and send forth. Amazing effects for the time.

Visually, this film is stunning. Lots of cool shots and pretty cool VFX shots and the glider models are a bit wonky, but looking good. Though I'm sure I saw the lines which were making it fly at least once. Also, totally wicked that the movie gliders don't actually have cockpits but are like cabriolets, open roof and you see the helmets of the pilots instead. Also, lots more color in Ra's jaffa than any other we'll see in the future. Man had style.
    I also really dig Jay Davidson's acting. Graceful and very expressive in his ways. He might no longer be active as an actor but damn, he was good.

Anyway, onwards... where were we... oh right, they arrive on the other side of the wormhole and the fun begins. I forgot about the teammates and the interactions. And then we meet the Abydonians and Daniel gets married. He's the one to get the girl.

Which basically is what this film is really about. Daniel Jackson is the lead character here. The rest are just along for the ride. And of course, he dies for the very first time. A moment we should remember... it's beginning of so much dying yet to come.

I forgot about Shau're dying though. But I guess, not having seen the film that many times might work against me in that area.

I really enjoyed all the interactions between Daniel, Jack, and the team and the Abydonians. The kids with Skaa'ra leading them on, Shau're and Daniel in the cave and together in the room when he confronts her about their marriage. The interpersonal relationships of this film are far more outspoken than the adventure which is unfolding. It's not a fast paced adventure, but slowly grows towards a climactic ending... a big boom in space.

Also forgot they lost the bomb and Ra changing it to make it stronger. It sure worked as planned, except for the part where he got blown up instead.

In the end it all works out fine... Ra defeated, the team can go home, Daniel still has the girl and decides to stay behind, and then it ends. Not even a last scene at the mountain on Earth to finish the day, like nobody would want to know what was on the other side of the wormhole.

That abrupt ending wasn't what I'd call great but okay... it does leave a great opening for SG1 to pick up so I shall forgive it.

And now... onwards to Stargate SG1: Children of the Gods.

For anyone interested I shall come back with some questions but I have to think on a few first.
    Only virtual cred can be won though, no real prices.

Leave a comment:

• garhkal
    replied
    Originally posted by LightofXion View Post
    I'm going to start off with the positives of this movie. I like the realism in their having to caravan through the desert from base camp, to the outpost, again to the village. Makes me think of what SG teams really do every time they go through the SG off camera.
    I always wondered how "Long" they were supposedly traveling in that clip.. Seemed quite a long way.

Originally posted by LightofXion View Post
    Not sure if the color is off but it looks more green behind the village indicating a possile water source which answers a few questions. Never noticed it before.
    They would need some sort of water to grow the food they ate and to keep them alive.

Leave a comment:

• LightofXion
    replied
    I really enjoy the adventure feel of the movie. It is something great that the series took with it and only expanded more upon.

Leave a comment:

• LightofXion
    replied
    I'm going to start off with the positives of this movie. I like the realism in their having to caravan through the desert from base camp, to the outpost, again to the village. Makes me think of what SG teams really do every time they go through the SG off camera.

Not sure if the color is off but it looks more green behind the village indicating a possile water source which answers a few questions. Never noticed it before.

Also really like the animals, the bison/camel very realistic as well as the iguana like creature they ate. Wis there were more animals, not from Earth in the series. Always wanted to see the 'T-Rex' from atlantis.

Leave a comment:

• LightofXion
    replied
    Light, checking in! Excited and ready!! Happy to have everyone that could join us.

Leave a comment:

• Metallica93
    replied
    I've seen the original cut once and unknowingly watched the director's cut this run through.

Just need to get my hands on the Blu-ray!

EDIT: haltrman93, reporting as ordered.

Leave a comment:

• HolyHannah
    replied
    HolyHannah here! Hubby is in for the rewatch, too. But getting him to create his own profile - easier said than done. My comments will likely be joint comments.

Leave a comment:

• mooseman
    replied
    Moose checking in! I actually haven't watched the original movie in quite awhile.
    Last edited by mooseman; October 12, 2017, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Pulling thread from the depths of Gateworld for the "Proper Stargate Rewatch" as has been decreed at the message feed of stargatecommand.com.

Leave a comment:

• GusF
    replied
    I watched the film last Sunday. I hadn't seen it in at least five or six years. I forgotten how good a film it is. I adored the design of it, particularly the Horus guard's helmets, Ra's throne room aboard his mothership and the Mastadge.

I'd also forgotten how little screen time Ra actually has. With the exception of the opening scene showing him taking the Egyptian boy as a host in 8000 B.C. and the flashbacks to it later on, he doesn't properly appear until 80 minutes into the film. Plus he only has three major scenes. Still, he's a very memorable villain as the first villain (let alone the first Goa'uld) to appear in the franchise and really is iconic in the Stargate universe due to his oft-discussed power and influence in the good 'ol days.

I'll give it 8.5/10.

Leave a comment:

• Naomi
    replied
    Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Manual dailing?
    That's seems likely. If they brought a power source with them to power the stargate on Abydos. On the commentary, Dean Devlin mentioned his intention to make sequel(s) to Stargate. Perhaps Devlin would have addressed how O'Neil's team returned to Earth in the sequel.

Leave a comment:

• hlndncr
    replied
    Manual dailing?

Last edited by hlndncr; August 8, 2011, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Naomi
    replied
    I'm late to the prewatch, but I don't think I'll have a problem catching up with the individual episodes.

I've repeatedly watched SG-1 and SGA, but I've rarely re-watched Stargate. For the prewatch, I viewed the movie a few times. I first saw the movie in 1994. Re-watching it on DVD, I can't remember my initial reaction to the movie. Time, and innumerable viewings of SG-1 and SGA, have left my memory muddled. There is one question that stands out for me now, that I don't remember questioning before SG-1. The DHD was not with the stargate on Earth at the military installation. Computers were used on Earth to dial the stargate to get to Abydos. How did they intend to dial the stargate to get back home? For that matter, how did they dial home from Abydos?

Leave a comment:

• MylittleEli
    replied
    Ok so I'm a little behind and I am just watching the movie now! But I pretty much feel the same as a few ppl here...that the movie is ok on its own, but as a starter to the series it really on infos a few characters and the concept, then the show deviates drastically. I like the series way better!!! Glad they made the changes for the show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X