No announcement yet.

Stargate (1994) vs SG-1 : Continuity differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was so lame. When I heard that Richard Kind was to appear on Atlantis, I thought: How awesome, they're bringing back a character from the original movie! But then they did something that I despise to the bottom of my fan heart... they used a familiar face for a totally new character. I hate it when they do that, like when the guy who played Narim played Weir's husband or that little girl from "Bane" turned into Cassandra in s7. I know they realize most fans will recognize them, but still it sort of insults my intelligence or at the very least tears a hole in my suspension of disbelief because it makes it über obvious that I'm really only watching a TV show. So lame. But I ended up actually enjoying "Irresistable" ("Irresponsible" not so much)... I thought Lucius was hilarious, don't kill me, please

Yeah, Richard Kind. Played Dr. Gary Meyers in the first movie. Back to topic, whew.

Btw, from an Egyptologist's point of view, that translation scene with the chalkboard is rather impossible. The text inscribed on the coverstones is so easy in grammar and vocabulary that there is no way a Dr. of Egyptology (and I assume that's what Meyers was, or why would he be the man for the job) could get it anywhere near as wrong as they had it before Daniel came along.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

I am just curious, on the "canon" argument... why don't Devlin and Emmerich consider the series canon. Are there some glaring things they don't like about it??

Comment

Well for one there is no Jaffa that hold snakes in their bellies. And Ra looked more like an asguard than a snake. Its just small stuff, Frankly its all so small that it does not bother me one bit. Although I agree with Hotep. I dislike the same use of actors unless alot of make up is used. They used Chirstopher H is an Sg-1 episode and then in Atlantis as Jintos father.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
        Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

It just doesn't follow their story, they had a full trilogy planned out but MGM didn't go with it. Unfortunately Devlin and Emmerich have some rights to the theatrical franchise, so a big budget movie can't be made without them, not unless the situation is resolved anyway.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info. Though I'd have to say that I didn't think that Jaye Davidson looked like an asgard... but I guess that's just me.

I think the TV guys have done an incredible job of expanding on the SG thing... I can't help but wonder what Devlin and Emmerich planned for the trilogy... hmmmm.

Comment

Many have speculated that Independence Day is pretty much what the Stargate sequel would have been if they'd gotten the go ahead...

Comment

Hmmm, okay, I can see that.... Thanks

P.S. Just came home from seeing Star Trek... LOVED IT.
                I know, I know, probably loads of threads elsewhere!!

Comment

Did the stargate program find a ZPM with the gate to fit in with the statement that Abydos is in another galaxy even though its th MW in SG-1??
                  SG-1 members
                  Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by pjp View Post
                    Did the stargate program find a ZPM with the gate to fit in with the statement that Abydos is in another galaxy even though its th MW in SG-1??
                    No.

In the movie, regular gate power and seven chevrons was all that was required to dial (the only) gate that was in another galaxy.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

just 1 of the many differences between SG and sg-1
                      SG-1 members
                      Atlantis Team members

Comment

Canon is probably a bit of a confusing term to describe the differences between the movie and SG1/SGA. Continuity is a better term, with the movie continuity and series continuity. In some respects they compliment each other, but they are different in a lot of respects. Doesn't make either better or worse than each other, just different.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          Canon is probably a bit of a confusing term to describe the differences between the movie and SG1/SGA. Continuity is a better term, with the movie continuity and series continuity. In some respects they compliment each other, but they are different in a lot of respects. Doesn't make either better or worse than each other, just different.
                          I couldn't agree more with that statement.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            I couldn't agree more with that statement.
                            same here...
                            SG-1 members
                            Atlantis Team members

Comment

A series of books where released which followed on solely from the movie and not the series. The author, Bill McCay, had chance to get some notes off Devlin and Emmerich about where they wanted the story to go and to that end, one of the novels is kinda similar to ID4, even down to green energy shields.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

So Roland/Emerich (spelling?) planned to take the Stargate movies in a direction similar to they ended up doing with ID4 instead. So if they ever did finish of their trilogy, what direction they would take? They certainly wouldn't just make it ID4 with Stargates so they would need new ideas etc. Would be interesting what they would do, if they have even thought about it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X