Stargate (1994) vs SG-1 : Continuity differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    We might as well end this discussion here, as if you don't think the storyline, tone and characters changed then we're obviously living in different realities.
    I see. You can't argue against my points, so the discussion must end, eh? If you can't argue against them, just admit it instead of pushing forward this we must be living in different realities nonsense.

Your argument probably should have probably ended after your first sentence: 'What I described is what I consider the main canon.' Because that's true, but that's all it is.
    As I've stated before, MGM also considers that the main canon. That is why they've denied Devlin and Emmerich from making sequels to the original movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      I see. You can't argue against my points, so the discussion must end, eh? If you can't argue against them, just admit it instead of pushing forward this we must be living in different realities nonsense.
      How can I argue when you refuse to see reason? The series and movie are completely different in tone, the character of O'neill in the show is totally different from the one in the movie, and Devlin and Emmerich's established canon has been changed in the series, these are all facts that you deny.

As I've stated before, MGM also considers that the main canon. That is why they've denied Devlin and Emmerich from making sequels to the original movie.
      MGM endorse the comics and even Infinity, Brad and Rob don't. Who is right? Neither. There is no MGM canon, canon is decided by the creative parties that contribute to the franchise. Devlin controls the movie canon, Brad & Rob oversee the series, DVD movies and Stargate: Worlds canon. The canon of the series and movie are different, that's a fact, and Rob and Brad don't have the creative control to retcon anything in the movie canon, all they can do is explain in the show how the basic story of the movie relates to the series canon, that is why they are separate.

Comment

I LOVE this movie!!YOU?

Comment

Daniel Jackson and Jenks... I'd say the answer is between your explanations:

Yes, the tv series is in a separate canon from the movie. HOWEVER, it is possible to view the original movie within the scope of the series canon. All you do is ignore the aspects that contradict, and voila, you are viewing the canon version of the events.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I rewatched this movie last night and I have two questions and if these has been asked before then please bear with me as I can't find them.

The first was: from Daniel Jackson explaining that the symbols on the chevrons were constellations to the gateroom where everything was ready was a continuous scene. Did they know that they were constellations but only knew the 6 and were saying nothing to Jackson until he figured out that they were and was able to produce the 7th? I know this sounds confusing, but it was odd to me that they were fully prepared to dial out when he revealed the 7th chevron. I think it might have made more sense if there had been a set up sequence?

Does this make any sense?

Also, what do the creators of the movie dislike about the show (other than they were then barred from making sequels)??

Comment

How can I argue when you refuse to see reason? The series and movie are completely different in tone,
              I agree with you overall Jenks but...... tone? the episode "The other guys" has a different tone than "Lost CIty" or "Be All My Sins Remembered" does that make them different Canon?
              BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

I was explaining why the discussion with Daniel Jackson was pointless, not why the movie wasn't canon in that particular post

Comment

ahhhh, i get ya now.
                  BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

well, lets put it this way, whoever owns the show is what makes it canon, not the creator or the writers. Is anything that has been Star Trek in the past 15 years not been canon simply because Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, is dead? No, it means its a continuation. And since MGM owns the rights to StarGate, what they say is canon, is canon. Just like Paramount says that whatever is star trek canon, is star trek canon.
                    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
                      well, lets put it this way, whoever owns the show is what makes it canon, not the creator or the writers. Is anything that has been Star Trek in the past 15 years not been canon simply because Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, is dead? No, it means its a continuation. And since MGM owns the rights to StarGate, what they say is canon, is canon. Just like Paramount says that whatever is star trek canon, is star trek canon.
                      There's no such thing as canon and non-canon, there are many separate canon's and only the creator of those fictions can decide which others are canon in relation to their own.

Comment

The two canons are separate, neither canon directly affects the other. In the movie canon the events of the series don't apply, and in the series the events of the movie only apply loosely.
                        i believe that they are one cannon and some changes were made to make better tv. the events in the movie apply more than loosely as it was only minor details that were changed. watch the series again and notice how many references are made to the original movie that aren't jokes. Abydos plays a role in numerous episodes for a start. Jacks kid was still killed they just changed the name. Jack still feels the pain from this which the original o'neil felt, they just gave him more humor and an L. Its all the same.
                        Some say that he has only one ear.
                        And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                        All we know is he's called
                        sigpic

Comment

Devlin and Emmerich created the Stargate movie, they decide what is canon in their 'universe' and what isn't, and for them the series isn't. Likewise the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe etc producers don't consider the novels to be canon but MGM do. It's all just relative and there is no one single canon, there are a few.
                          Last edited by jenks; 19 May 2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I was watching this recently and that guy who translated the symbols "doorway to heaven'' looks like that Lucious loven from Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozman View Post
                              I was watching this recently and that guy who translated the symbols "doorway to heaven'' looks like that Lucious loven from Atlantis!
                              Yes, it is the same actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozman
                                Originally posted by Andr3az
                                Yes, it is the same actor.
                                Yeah thats Richard Kind.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X