Third SG-1 movie ("Stargate Revolution") Ship Free hopes/speculation/ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    I wouldn't call direct-to-video risky, I see such releases at the video store all the time. The problem lies in the budget being very high for a mere direct-to-video release. The script probably calls for a TV movie that MGM simply cannot afford to produce in regards to DVD/Blu-ray sales and rentals.
    I think that's correct. In early 2009 BW mentioned something about not agreeing with MGM on the budget. With SGU apparently having a bigger budget than the previous series, I doubt he wants to go back to shoestring productions. And, Continuum looked like a more expensive film, but all that Air Force hardware was FREE!

Comment

Hobbit movie green-lite, good news perhaps?
      http://blastr.com/2010/10/the-hobbit-finally-gets-t.php

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
        Could be since its a 400 million dollar project. But still, The Hobbit has way more potential for profit than a SG film, specially since it is being released to theatres.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          Because it's the same 30 fans that have been asking for the movies?

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          I think that's correct. In early 2009 BW mentioned something about not agreeing with MGM on the budget. With SGU apparently having a bigger budget than the previous series, I doubt he wants to go back to shoestring productions. And, Continuum looked like a more expensive film, but all that Air Force hardware was FREE!
          I don't get the obsession with making it OTT that they appear to have. Sure, it needs to be bigger and better than the series, that's a given. But for a good number of years, there was very little CGI in SG1. There were stories that can be watched now, that haven't dated as badly as the later ones. To be fair, there were some real clunkers too.

Originally posted by globex View Post
          Most likely not in NZ though. The labour dispute, as well as various tax incentives from other countries, would appear to have caused WB to have a rethink on their filming location.

Originally posted by deathil93 View Post
          Could be since its a 400 million dollar project. But still, The Hobbit has way more potential for profit than a SG film, specially since it is being released to theatres.
          But ROI is the key. MGM would dump all their remaining money into SG if they thought it had a higher return than their other investments. Presumably it is a lower returning venture, so it is shelved for now.

As far as possible storylines, I've gather from reading here that the most likely scenario is that

Spoiler:
          the LA attack Earth. SGC has to defend Earth, with the help of SG1 characters (who do not appear to be part of SG1 any more - what happened to Mitchell?? IDK). Atlantis is launched, blows the F out of LA ships. Given that this is the second time Earth has come under direct attack, world governments are forced to reveal the existence of the stargate, aliens, etc....
          sigpic

Comment

Almost there!!!!!

secondly, recent obvious developments over the past week have increased the likelihood of the sg-1 and sga finally seeing the green light of a production schedule. The biggest hurdle has just been cleared and the last thing we need is to stumble before we reach that finish line.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
              Almost there!!!!!

from joe's blog: secondly, recent obvious developments over the past week have increased the likelihood of the sg-1 and sga finally seeing the green light of a production schedule. The biggest hurdle has just been cleared and the last thing we need is to stumble before we reach that finish line.
              i loved reading that , but at the same time, i'd like to know what he means exactly by a stumbling block...
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                i loved reading that , but at the same time, i'd like to know what he means exactly by a stumbling block...
                I love reading that too!!!

I would assume the obvious developments were the MGM bankruptcy. They are set to emerge from that around Dec 2. They will be debt free and ready to work on a new film and tv productions.

I wonder what he means by "Last thing we need is to stumble.." Since the blog spends a lot of time talking about fandom and the section of the blog he mentions this in he is also talking about SGU needing viewers, I wonder if the stumble could be SGU getting cancelled?

Frankly, I think having the movies greenlighted at this time would probably help SGU ratings as it would produce a lot of press - with lots of talk of the long awaited movies, lots of exposition on the SG franchise and yes mention of SGU too - and certainly would be a positive shot in the arm for much of fandom.

Comment

He is talking about SGU
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                    I love reading that too!!!

I would assume the obvious developments were the MGM bankruptcy. They are set to emerge from that around Dec 2. They will be debt free and ready to work on a new film and tv productions.

I wonder what he means by "Last thing we need is to stumble.." Since the blog spends a lot of time talking about fandom and the section of the blog he mentions this in he is also talking about SGU needing viewers, I wonder if the stumble could be SGU getting cancelled?

Frankly, I think having the movies greenlighted at this time would probably help SGU ratings as it would produce a lot of press - with lots of talk of the long awaited movies, lots of exposition on the SG franchise and yes mention of SGU too - and certainly would be a positive shot in the arm for much of fandom.
                    Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    He is talking about SGU
                    basically what he's saying is if sgu is canceled, that would be a stumbling block to the movies getting made. what i'm asking is *why*? (i don't want to go to joe's blog to ask)
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

basically what he's saying is if sgu is canceled, that would be a stumbling block to the movies getting made. what i'm asking is *why*? (i don't want to go to joe's blog to ask)
                      I am assuming because it could be perceived as weakening the franchise and with production shut down at Bridge it would increase production costs to start everything up again for the movies. My opinion: if MGM feels the movies are worth making they will likely make them regardless of what happens to SGU. Certainly the cancellation of Caprica is not deterring anyone from making a third BSG series. Franchises are big money in Hollywood - it is usually in the best interests of everyone to keep them going.

Comment

They are part of the same franchise. A lack of interest in SGU could also mean a lack of interest in Stargate as a whole. Its just one of many scenarios.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                          I am assuming because it could be perceived as weakening the franchise and with production shut down at Bridge it would increase production costs to start everything up again for the movies. My opinion: if MGM feels the movies are worth making they will likely make them regardless of what happens to SGU. Certainly the cancellation of Caprica is not deterring anyone from making a third BSG series. Franchises are big money in Hollywood - it is usually in the best interests of everyone to keep them going.
                          i'd like to believe they're smart enough to know the difference.

They are part of the same franchise. A lack of interest in SGU could also mean a lack of interest in Stargate as a whole. Its just one of many scenarios.
                          it 'could' mean that, if the ppl making the decisions were ignoring the popularity of the other two pieces of the franchise. you don't close the entire restaurant b/c one of their dinner plates isn't as desired as the others.

i just hope the new mgm managers understand the difference.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

i'd like to believe they're smart enough to know the difference.

it 'could' mean that, if the ppl making the decisions were ignoring the popularity of the other two pieces of the franchise. you don't close the entire restaurant b/c one of their dinner plates isn't as desired as the others.

i just hope the new mgm managers understand the difference.
                            You're think too small. You might scale down the franchise if some of your restaurants are not making profit. Most executives will look it as those once popular shows are as interesting as before. I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just telling you how they think
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

You're think too small. You might scale down the franchise if some of your restaurants are not making profit. Most executives will look it as those once popular shows are as interesting as before. I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just telling you how they think
                              but are you *sure* you know this is how they're going to think on it?

if the new mgm dudes research into this (and something tells me research is their middle name), they'll see there's still interest in the franchise, or at least the first 2/3rds of it.

not aimed at you, jel, i just don't want *anyone* telling me that i have to watch this or buy that, or no stargate movies. that 'or else!' has been going on far too long already...
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

but are you *sure* you know this is how they're going to think on it?

if the new mgm dudes research into this (and something tells me research is their middle name), they'll see there's still interest in the franchise, or at least the first 2/3rds of it.

not aimed at you, jel, i just don't want *anyone* telling me that i have to watch this or buy that, or no stargate movies. that 'or else!' has been going on far too long already...
                                I agree - no one can know how they think. In a few weeks it will be a whole new ball game at MGM. New CEO's, new board of directors and new head of revamped TV production dept. . I have a feeling they will be taking a long hard look at things. One thing I will say is that I think the franchise is stronger as a whole. SG1 and SGA have been two very strong, and profitable components of the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X