The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryon22
    With regards to the virus that was encountered in Hot Zone, it's nanotech based.
    Oh yeah. Dunno why I keep forgetting about those nanites.

The plague thing still seemed too easy to me. And like I said, Nirrti already went that route in Metamorphosis. If the Ori are so scary and all-powerful, maybe they should try coming up with their OWN ideas instead if stealing from their "lessers".

And yeah, I know it was probably a focus because of the one guy that got healed, but... well, it still might have been nice to see it spun in a different direction. Martin's good at taking old ideas and making them new, but... this ep just didn't do a lot for me. *shrug*

Comment

I loved this episode. I like the philosophy behind what the episode was about last night. I think the Ori are very scary. Not physically, but intellectually. The Ori are slowly attempting to convert civilization after civilization to their radical way of thinking. And, as Daniel asked, why are they doing it? Why do they want those beneath them to worship them? What's the twist? I guess we'll find out.

I noticed a bit of rivalry and animosity between Daniel and the Ori. It's a fight between them, much more so than Vala. This Ori walked right up to Daniel at the end of the episode and smiled at him, as if to say: "Heh, I gotcha. I won." This is going to be very personal for Daniel.

I always liked Vala, so, of course I enjoyed her in last night's episode. I'm also glad that she showed a crack in her armor (when her "servant" died), and I'm glad Daniel witnessed it. In fact, when Mitchell called Daniel on his radio, Daniel asked if it could wait (because he knew she was really upset about what just happened.) Nice little moment. I also liked at the end when Vala took the gun to shoot the Ori. That moment was based solely on her wanting to atone for what had happened to these people. You could tell by the look on her face, she was pissed. Another good moment.

Teal'c: He needs more to do, and it's not his fault. Although, frankly, alot of Teal'c's interaction was with Jack. Jack would bounce one-liners off of Teal'c or take Teal'c as backup, ect. I'm beginning to notice the one big hole that's being left behind with RDA's departure is Teal'c. However, I believe this is only temporary. His bond to Sam and Daniel is permanent, and I think TBTB will have him mesh with Mitchell's character. I'll try and be patient -- just don't make me wait too long.

Daniel: Daniel is always great, and I like him most when he's showing his compassion for other people (which is most of the time, unless he's with Vala). Even if Sam was in this episode, the only member of SG-1 who would have been speaking for Vala or the people of the village, would have been Daniel. He's very good about cutting through the crap of someone's argument. I think that's why the Ori consider him such a danger, he's an empassioned speaker. I also think that's why they pointedly made an example - using him, making sure he witnessed the disease hitting everyone. I think it would have been better if everyone had fallen ill, except him, but whatever. MS was great.

Mitchell: I think Mitchell is coming along just fine. I'm sure he's still figuring out the character, and I know that Mitchell has some showcase episodes coming up. I like the fact that Mitchell is genuinely respectful of SG-1. It's already there from the getgo. Also, I know some people don't like him calling Daniel "Jackson." I like it. The only male who ever called Daniel "Daniel" was Jack. (Teal'c calls him "Daniel Jackson" and Hammond called him "Dr. Jackson.) I think it keeps the relationship between Mitchell and Daniel more realistic. They're not really friends; they don't know each other well yet. Maybe as the show evolves, Mitchell will start calling Daniel by his first name, and it will be a signal to the audience that the friendship is developing. But if it never happens, that's okay too. Jack and Daniel are best buddies, and I like they're dynamic -- miss it too.

Dr. Lam: She's a little too abrasive for my taste at the moment. I'm not saying she has to be all squishy and soft, but right now, I don't care for her. Soften those edges a little. Even when she's talking to the team, she's like an ice queen, but maybe that's what TPTB want at the moment. I'll have to wait and see.

Landry: I like Beau Bridges. I think he's a great addition to the cast. I like him, at the moment, better than Dr. Lam. He at least smiles every now and then.

In sum, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, from beginning to end. It didn't move too slowly for me. I need time to absorb all the information. I think the Ori are truly evil, and I can easily see people on our planet falling for someone like him, which is what I think truly scares Daniel. I think that's what makes the Ori so scary. They don't come with overly scary faces or big weapons and ships. They come with a message. A very dangerous message written in the fine print for only those who are paying attention.

Can't wait for next episode! Sam's back!

Comment

Has SG-1 since season 9 started always used that Atlantis wormhole effect? I hadn't noticed till i saw it in this ep. I thought it was only for the shorterned opening. I think it sucks, it's SG-1's last season they might as well have kept the original wormhole effect.

Comment

Theory on the reason the Ori demand worship: given there's a future ep referencing the
          Spoiler:
          The Fourth Horseman which I'm assuming is from Revelations (last book in the Bible)
          , I'm thinking that since the Ori and Ancients had a falling out, maybe the Ori just hate them so much they are wreaking as much havoc as possible on us mere mortals. "Making life hell...one soul at a time" kinda deal. Not only to try to keep us from ascending but to spite the Ancients??? If they have been protecting us in the MW it would really be an 'in yo face' thing for the Ori to come here and start their schtick. I dunno, but I'm a little more interested in the storyline now.
          If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
          proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
          Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

This was the first SG-1 episode I liked in a very very long time, since the beginning of S8. I'm glad they are addressing the issue as to why the Ori want to be worshipped, to me that was the reason why I didn't like them, it seemed pointless. Hopefully we will have a good reason as to why the Ori want to be worshipped. Definetly agree with the comparisions to BSG, you got the feeling that no matter what SG-1 does they can't beat this. Hopefully TPTB won't screw up what has been started.

Comment

Originally posted by shaqarava
              Has SG-1 since season 9 started always used that Atlantis wormhole effect? I hadn't noticed till i saw it in this ep. I thought it was only for the shorterned opening. I think it sucks, it's SG-1's last season they might as well have kept the original wormhole effect.
              Not sure why people keep saying this is SG-1s last season. I hope its not and the TPTB hope its not since they are ending the season on a cliffhanger. Currently the ratings are plenty good and this is during the summer and before the story has really kicked off. Hopefully ratings remain the same or go up and we have a Season 10 if not more.

Liked this ep BTW.
              Mitchell with his Jello, Vala about to steal his Jello and Mitchell taking it back is so SG-1.
              Vala made a good goa'uld.
              I was worried about Daniel there for a bit, sounded like he was arguing For the Ori.
              Teal'c ..... needs somthing to do.
              Landry I hate the leather Jacket. It seems so out of place
              Lam Im still not sure about. I hate Soap Opras so I hope they dont take it that way.
              Ori how the heck do you beat them and wouldnt their plans to convert people work a lot better if they just presented their evidence and then left people alone if they didnt want to convert. They could just keep coming bakc and presenting more evidence and eventually convert everyone just via repeating a pleasent message. If they played the peace card I think they would ultimatly end up with more followers over time. The "worship us now or die" thing seems kind of short sighted for eternal Gods.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Gosh, now that you all mention it, why was Teal'c there? I didn't think about that until I read this thread, but now it's bothering me.

Maybe he's got the hots for Vala

So, I wasn't spoiled for the Landry/Lam father-daughter reveal. But it was pretty much the foremost theory in my mind. nothing else really made sense. I'm wondering if it's a Vietnam-era thing. If Landry met Dr. Lam's mother while he was serving in Vietnam, and if they had an 'interlude' but they never were serious about it. It would explain why she still has her mother's last name, and her Asian-american descent, and the serious tension between her and Landry. That's a lot of 'if's, though. It would be an interesting thread, but it seems pretty deep to tackle on Stargate. Of course, they did also deal with Jack losing his son and his marraige -- so they have proven they can address darker themes.

Overall, I did like this episode quite a bit. They made good use of Vala's character. Daniel still talks too fast, but I'm liking the beard more. And, Teal'c and Mitchell playing war with the deck of cards, hee. I think they are going to have a good rapport, eventually.

Comment

One thing I've noticed about season nine so far is that after every episode, people post their thoughts and then have questions about why? Why did this happen? Why didn't they explain this? Then an episode or two later the answer to the question is given. I know that this can sometimes be difficult when you just watch an episode or two, but if you follow the show from start to finish, I'm just really loving the unfolding of the season. I might go "Huh?" or "Hmmm!" during one episode and then one or two episodes later go, "Aha!" I can see where it would drive some people crazy, but I like it. So questions about why did Tea'lc go along, or why did Mitchell get sick, or what is the deal with the Orii, just might possibly be answered a week or two down the road. You can bet I'll be paying attention!

I don't get the comments about Dr. Lam. I didn't think she was robotic or wooden at all. I even watched it a second time (after reading comments after the first airing) to see where that might be. I think that when she is not actually on duty, she feels free to be nasty to her dad (wonder what the backstory is there--wait, I'll bet they explain it in a further episode) or more animated with the people she talks to. When she is on duty, she feels she needs to be more detached and professional and perhaps that comes across as robotic and uncaring.

As for Teal'c's lack of talking--I don't remember him being all that talkative in previous episodes (remember Sam's line making fun, about that being so unlike him). Granted, it does seem like he hasn't had much to do--hopefully that will change.

I'm kind of curious about Vala's main worhipper (sorry, can't remember his name). She was so upset when he died--what do you suppose their relationship or interaction would be like when she finds out he's alive? Is he going to be an Ori worshipper now?

Oh the ending! I normally don't like sad or downbeat endings, but, in this case, I think it worked out quite well. I think the full impact of what the Ori mean to this galaxy is now beginning to be felt by the SG team. So far, they haven't done anything the Go'auld couldn't do, but, oh, the way they did it! Very chilling! I think the team is now realizing the extent of the threat. I can't wait for the rest of the season!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Funniest part was when Vala was in the cell and trying to get out... she had one foot out and her head stickin' out and Daniel just leaves her there when he sees Mitchell coming in. I don't know why i found that so funny, but her facial expression and his was just funny.

I think that Lam and Cam are living together. :-D That's my thought. I really think they are living together. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Comment

I think that Lam and Cam are living together.

OMG, Lam, Cam, and Sam!!! OT3!!!!111!!!!!

And their newest writer is... Dr. Seuss...

\sarcasm

Seriously, they'd better remember to call Mitchell either Mitchell or Cameron. Otherwise things will just get silly...

Comment

I got the assumption that the Ori created the plague that killed off the ancients from what Daniel had questioned last night. I think there are 2 possible reason why Vala, Teal'c and Daniel didn't get sick. 1 they are immune somehow, by the help of the ancients? or 2 the prior wants to make an example out of these rest of prove a point to them. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Why did Mitchell get sick?
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                            Why did Mitchell get sick?
                            They never really explained why, but i guess the writer(s) wanted us to assume because Teal'c had a symbiote, Vala was a host, and Daniel being ascended or something... Or thats what i think from what people have said.

I want some solid answers though.
                            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I loved this episode. This episode seems to be made to show us what the Orii are willing to do to get the followers to follow them. My Fiance was yawning for the first 30 minutes but I was on the edge of my seat. I knew during the trial the Prior was going to come in but I never thought Daniel and the priors exchange would be so well written. Daniel realized how hard fighting the Ori's message is going to be.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Jaffa are going to be split in two about this and they will join the Ori's crusade? After this epidsode I will be running home after work on Friday nights and hitting the play button on my TIVO (God bless the person who created Tivo No commercials Thank you). Anyways I think we are all tired of the stopping bullets thing. They could have hit him and killed him. Then after a minute of appearing dead he could have just risenf from the dead. I think that would have had more dramatic effect.

I think this show was one of my favorite this season even though it has less action. The ramifacations for this episode will be felt for as long as the ori are around.

Comment

Originally posted by eve11
                                I think that Lam and Cam are living together.

OMG, Lam, Cam, and Sam!!! OT3!!!!111!!!!!

And their newest writer is... Dr. Seuss...

\sarcasm

Seriously, they'd better remember to call Mitchell either Mitchell or Cameron. Otherwise things will just get silly...
                                Heh, i can see them using that. But i guess it would be silly as well...
                                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                                X