No announcement yet.

Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching SG-1's "Origin" I am very impressed. I think this episode will be remembered as one of Stargate's best. The writing was very well done and the special effects were dazzling.

I am aware that ratings for Stargate have been falling (which I myself don't understand since I'm a huge fan and would love the show even if it sucked), but there is no doubt in my mind that ratings for this episode will be high.

And let me say this. If this episode is any reflection of what's to come in Season 9 it's going to be a season to remember!

This one rocked.
    Daniel: This tastes like chicken.
    Sam: So what's wrong with it?
    Daniel: It's macaroni and cheese.

Comment

I though this episode was great. It introduced the basis of the Ori religion and set a counterbalance to the Ancients. The Ancients being the only "higher beings" was slightly uninteresting. As for the future, I hope that things move rapidly into the action and dire situations then slow down while progressing through that.

Comment

What I liked:

"Wherever you go, there you are."

"I had a grandma, too."

So much information packed into this episode--lots of exposition, but it didn't seem slow or boring.

Mitchell

Landry

Daniel and Vala interaction

Tea'lc's counting

The cool "alabaster" transport rings (someone mentioned those on another thread, or maybe it was this thread--I can't keep track. Sorry--I'd like to give credit.)

Vala being funny without being smutty

Things I didn't like:

Ger'ak (sp?)

RDA's phoned in performance

Burning people alive

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by mryan
          After watching SG-1's "Origin" I am very impressed. I think this episode will be remembered as one of Stargate's best. The writing was very well done and the special effects were dazzling.

I am aware that ratings for Stargate have been falling (which I myself don't understand since I'm a huge fan and would love the show even if it sucked), but there is no doubt in my mind that ratings for this episode will be high.

And let me say this. If this episode is any reflection of what's to come in Season 9 it's going to be a season to remember!

This one rocked.
          Actually the ratings were the exact same the first two weeks. The season opening's ratings were a bit down from last Seaons opening but they were up from last seasons Midseason opening in Jan.... So basically I think the ratings have remained relativily consistant the last year or so. Lets hope thats good enough for Sci fi.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Did anyone else notice, that playing the Doci, was Ralph Fiennes, who will also take the rold of Lord Voldamort, in the upcoming, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, this November, and the outer shell of the City of the Gods, was reminiscent of Lord of the Rings.

Comment

I wasn't offended, I'm sure that most avid Stargate watchers won't be offended. But there's a possibility that a person just flipping through the channels and watches a new episode could take it as a statement on religion. Whether it be Christianity or Buddhism or basically any other religion that you can name. The Ancient religions are one thing, but Arthurian legends are more recent that do have some comments on Christianity. I'm just saying that there's a possibility that someone could take it the wrong way. Just look at The DaVinci Code. I'm not sure if it was meant to be provocative or not, but now there's books and television shows trying to disprove a book found in the fiction section with fiction written on the side.
              Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Forget the Christian comparisons, here's the real Ori:

Ascension/Enlightenment -- The Force
                Doci -- Dark Jedi Master
                Prior -- Dark Jedi Knight

Did no one else think, "I find your lack of faith disturbing," in the scene where the Prior kills the heretic?

I agree the Doci was rather boring, although the Priors are still creepy, albeit making me expect them to pull out a lightsaber.

Gerak was rather disappointing; I was looking forward to his confrontation with the Prior, but that was an anticlimax and Gerak ended up doing nothing other than ramble on about false gods and manipulative humans. We know, we know. And I like the Jaffa politics.
                aka Nur-ab-sal

"It's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of survival." -- William Adama

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                  The only connection I saw is when the Prior was talking at the SGC about coming to the unbelievers who have been sheltered by evil and whatnot. Cam turned to Landry and muttered something about the prior sounding like his grandma, who he stated earlier was a "bible-thumper". So I can see how some linked the Ori with Christianity in particular. I don't think it was a condemnation of a particular religion, just of a certain, zealot aspect shared by many religions over the centuries.
                  Actually that story from the book of origin (similar to bible) where the guy gets water from the rock reeks of Moses, so there were at least two references, and a couple allusions which they pacified towards the end in the briefing room with the references to the ascended beings not precluding the existence of god.
                  There was also a mild reference to hell fire and it's meaning on Earth.

I don't think they will alienate anyone, I come from some bible thumpers myself and it doesn't bother me any. There just wasn't any negativity in it that anyone should take offence. I don't think, given the culture from which they originate, that they can avoid some similarities when dealing with religion.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

i agree with the episode i believe it was absolutly amazing... I MEAN AMAZING i am really looking foward to this new enemy and i like the tention between the new Jaffa nation and earth.. i bet the asgard will play a good role aswell its gunna be great.. and lemme tell you those ori dont know what they getting themselfs into we are a TUFF and WARLIKE GALEXY! ! !

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient
                      Did anyone else notice, that playing the Doci, was Ralph Fiennes, who will also take the rold of Lord Voldamort, in the upcoming, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, this November, and the outer shell of the City of the Gods, was reminiscent of Lord of the Rings.
                      The actor was not Ralph Fiennes but Julian Sands, best known (at least to me) from the movie Naked Lunch. (Imagine, though, if we could get A-list actors like that to guest star on SG-1/A....oh, the possibilities)

BTW, nice to see that they're going back to the tried-and-true sci-fi cliche of the bad guys having British accents.

Comment

I was disappointed with this ep after 901 and 902. Maybe it was the ori or i dunno...i guess it didnt have any "gusto" for me. i dont really have any reasons to say why i was disappointed, i guess it just wasnt as fun as the other two eps were =)

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                        Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                        Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

When the Prior was speaking in the briefing room, he said "they did defeat the old spirits, and cast them out," do you think that he was speaking of, the Ori being the reason that the Ancients left their home galaxy, or could it have been something that happened, after the Ancients ascended?

Comment

Normally I dont post or read in the episode threads, since I used to see bickering in them, but this episode needed an input.

-When they started releasing info about season 9, I was very very very skeptical, but was very interested in the Ori portion. And so far I wasnt that disappointed with the episodes.. till now!
                            -The Vala character has grown on me. At first I really didnt like her one bit, but I think they are writing her better this season.
                            -The Cameron character.. eh. I really have no huge input on him. I'm always gonna miss the Jack character and his humor.
                            -As the overall episode... it sucked! I liked the first two, but this as a conclusion to a 3-parter stunk!
                            -And I gotta say RDA didnt look well. And for possibly being his last episode of Stargate.. what kind of "send-off" was that? He shows up the last 2-3 minutes of the episode. He did better in the first episode of this season. And before you critize me about that, let me say that I think that RDA taking time off to spend with his daughter is awesome! Family must always come first! I'm not mad that he's leaving (sad, but not mad), I'm more mad at how they are dealing with the character. They should of had him moving on, show him leaving the SGC/SG1 and how he's dealing with it. Not just a pop in to say "I'm hungry"!
                            -I really wasnt getting how evil these Ori are suppose to be. Yes I get it, they are the big bad for this season (and possibly beyond), but YAWN!
                            -I hope they dont do away with the Vala vs. Daniel aspect. I just love the like/hate relationship they've got going on.
                            -And I have to agree with others when they say that CJ isnt really being used this season. The Jaffa thing is boring me to tears. Thank goodness I was able to FF through that stuff.
                            -The whole thing with Cameron comparing them to his grandma, was funny. Until he just kept bringing it up. He should have left it at 1 or 2 comparisons.
                            -Could MS please please slow down on the talking. I never really saw what people were saying when they mentioned it before. But now SHEESH! I got every word, but my head was starting to spin.
                            -Good for Daniel to stand up for what he believes in!! I almost clapped at the end of what he said!

As far as rating the episode I give it 1 star. Lets hope the rest of the season does better!

*DROOL*

McKAY: If you're referring to the ship you just shot down, the one that doesn't stand a hope in hell of ever flying again ...

TORRELL: The ship that you're gonna fix, yes.

McKAY: What am I, MacGyver? Fix it with what?

http://www.sgtsiler.com/Nikkirose.html
                            MINE.. ALL MINE!! Mwhahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by asher_cross
                              The actor was not Ralph Fiennes but Julian Sands, best known (at least to me) from the movie Naked Lunch. (Imagine, though, if we could get A-list actors like that to guest star on SG-1/A....oh, the possibilities)

BTW, nice to see that they're going back to the tried-and-true sci-fi cliche of the bad guys having British accents.
                              Speaking of that was I hearing things or did Vala say bloodysomthing.... thats like UK swearing isnt it? Then again her planet was in Camulus territory and he was a Celtic god so maybe the language progressed the same.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by asher_cross
                                Ahhhh Julian Sands. Just watched him in the director's cut of "A Room with a View" last night. Lovely. :sigh:

Comment

Working...
                                X