No announcement yet.

Origin (903)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodness, yeah. I can't stand the Ori. That said, lots of viewers seem to love the Wraith in Atlantis, and I don't like them either. My favorite SG villains are definitely the Goa'uld. I did like seeing how that human judge who condemned Vala to burn in Avalon became a prior.
    sigpic

Comment

This is my second time around watching season 9 (I'm watching it with a friend), and I like it better this time around. I think it was just such a huge adjustment the first time, not having the old enemies anymore. It really becomes a very different series in season 9. Also, Vala has grown on me a lot, I really didn't know what to think of her for the first season and a half that she was in. Now I'm starting to like her, though.

I find it interesting how the entire series focuses on bad guys who go around pretending to be gods. The Ori, IMHO, are even worse than the Goa'uld, though. I mean, yes, the Goa'uld are horrible and committed many atrocities. But the Ori are so ruthless - slaughtering entire planets and killing people in so many horrible ways. I guess the Goa'uld also committed all sorts of terrible things too, but it's just that we don't see them played out on the screen in the previous seasons, they are more just alluded to. Still, the Ori just seem so much worse than the Goa'uld in so many ways. I'm looking forward to rewatching seasons 9 and 10!
      Signature by Glitch33.
      sigpic
      Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

I'm the first to get to this episode in the rewatch? I hope everyone else hasn't given up on it...

My LiveJournal post

Shame poor Harrid and Sallis were left to burn to death. Also that Fannis got killed, I liked him...
        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I watched today as well. I thought the episode worked well and explained the Ori well.

I agree that it's a pity about poor Harrid, Salis and Fannis.
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
            The Ori (When they were in that dude) sounded like the Borg Collective from Star Trek
            I still agree with that statement.

I thought it was the better of the 3-part premiere.

We now have a very nasty threat in the Milky Way Galaxy (and like Daniel said, it's kind of scary).

Tomorrow, *runs to GateWorld's ep guide because he doesn't remember* the beginning of the IOA and a Vala episode.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm still here, watching my least favourite season of SG-1, bit of a struggle to be honest.

I don't know if I can stand much more of listening to "Hallowed are the Ori" over and over again...aaarggh!!!

I am however trying to look at the good parts, otherwise I'll just go off on one with all the bits that irritate me!

Now, I've got to think about that for a moment. Oh yes, the visuals for 'Celestis' are great and I do like the look of the Ori transport rings with all the intricate etchings on them.

Spontaneously combustible Priors, that's a new one!

Gerak's fur cloak, what an epic costume, it stole the scene when it appeared! Loved how he stood there stroking it when it was on the back of his chair in the SGC briefing room.

Comment

This ep is a fair bit better than the first 2. It also takes being Gods to a whole new level.

I loved the bit where they ringed up to Celestus. The rings looked cool and I liked the way it looked like they were walking on water.

I hate Gerak. Although he does end up redeeming himself later on.

Nice little surprise at the end with Jack showing up
                Last edited by Lieutenant Sparrow; 05 April 2012, 11:31 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                  I still agree with that statement.

I thought it was the better of the 3-part premiere..
                  That would have been the Doci.. one of my fave roles Julian sands has played..

Comment

The mystery I presented in the last review is answered in this episode and I really like it. I actually quite liked the Ori as a villian. They presented an interesting angle of ascension. Before hand I always thought ascension meant you had to be a good person but as this episode shows that is not the case. It also kind of shines a light in why the Ancients are so against innerference. Look what the Ori do with their innerference. I just really like the wealth of stories the revelation of the Ori as villians bring. I also like the stuff back on Earth. It not only shows the power hungry person Garek is but shows just the kind of threat the Priors are. They have a lot more power then the Goa'uld ever did. I will say the using the KAWOOSH to destroy the Ancient communication device was predictible
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Julian Sands + Michael Shanks = brilliant scene...worth watching the whole of Season 9 just for that imho...and repeated (sadly all too briefly) in Ark of Truth...

Deeds xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

This is really close to where I started following Stargate. The episode that really got me hooked was "Threads" back in season 8. Before that, all Stargate was was the lead-in to BSG. "Threads" made me pay attention.

It was season 9 that got me watching every week. I had a friend who I worked with who had all of SG-1 through season 8, so I borrowed all of them. While season 9 was going on, I worked my way through 2-3 episodes a day to catch up. I then had to catch up on Atlantis as well (though much less was around then). I have since picked up all the live action Stargate and have not regretted getting into the series.

As for Origin, it is a wonderful completion of the foundation of the SG-1 reboot. We open up with the Goa'uld defeated, Abubis gone, and the Milky Way appearing to be a much safer place.

In Origin we see the new villain emerge and come out with a sense of dread. These guys are way beyond the Goa'uld - they are much closer to real gods. There is also a mystery to them, even at the end.

This is the episode where the Daniel-Vala dynamic really matures. It was brilliant to make Claudia Black a regular. No one is RDA, but Black and Browder brought a sense of humor back to the show that had been diminished since RDA backed off a bit - very notable in season 8, terrific though that season was.

Sending a Prior through to the Milky Way also shows you the scope of the Ori's powers. They know where Daniel and Vala came from and they fully intend to do something about it.

By the end of this three parter, I was definitely in the tank for SG-1. I can understand why some have had issues with the reboot, but without eight years worth of sentiment, I was free to enjoy this fresh. I did and still look at seasons 9 and 10 quite fondly. Once we get past the first two seasons, I can't really tell you which one is my favorite. Lots of great episodes and characters.

But Origin completed a very successful reboot of the franchise in my book. I enjoyed the films (especially Continuum), but would have loved to have seen a season 11 of SG-1. Of course, I wanted more SGU too. You can't always get what you want.

Comment

Greened for an awesome review...

Deeds xx
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

So, I had decided to give SG1 another chance...

1. Again, Ori, ice cold. Arguably more arrogant than the Goa'uld.

2. Listening to the podcast. Ori = jihadis? Hmmmm....I can make it worth.

3. Couldn't remember the dip back into the village.

4. Daniel had a point with Jack, if they had stayed off the Ori's turf they'd have stayed out of trouble.

Solid ep. Foundation established.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I liked this one too. So, The Ori has stargate tech?
                              Looking forward to the rest of season 9

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post

4. Daniel had a point with Jack, if they had stayed off the Ori's turf they'd have stayed out of trouble.
                                Same could have been said with the gou'ald..

Comment

Working...
                                X