Avalon, Part 2 (902)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
    But for me, the whole, "Oh look, the Replicators aren't dead, they.... replicated!!!!" thing was getting VERY banal. The human form replicators was OK, but the end of that story was end of their story, as it felt it should be. I'm over them, they were cool, but I'm glad they're gone.
    True, it became pretty repetitive, but I don't really think that the writers should feel it simple enough as to say, "Well, they're all gone now, next baddie!" They could leave us little something something to get the feeling that there's still a faint trace of familiar badness in the world. So far, Replicarter deleted poor Fifth, she got blown up, then the awesome multi-gate activating thing creamed the rest of them. That was quite astonishing but even after all that's said and done, there's bound to be one spunky little reppie that crawls out from the wreackage.

As to the Gou'uld. I hardly think they're done. Look at how things stand now, the Jaffa are on a road that seems destined for civil war on several fronts. I see many factions springing up out of this. Some Jaffa will no doubt go back to following their gods when the free Jaffa show their human nature and struggle amongst themselves for power, as nations here do so well. Perhaps late this season, or even next year, we will see the return of an overlord, Baal anyone?
    I didn't think of that. Of course it's possible, and it again strikes that live to die another day thing yet again. Personally, I'm not a fan of sci fi politics, but I can see how it gets into the mix. I just hope that TPTB are careful with it and try not to alienate veiwers with laying it on too thivk.

i remember the part where Teal'c was retorting that his friends from earth had helped to free their people and been greeted with nothing but disrespect. It's those types of lines that sort of hit that offkey note with me ... If the Jaffa become the proverbial fork in the road with alliances, that could push certain story angles forward. That would be interesting, but still, not enough for me to accept the "new" SG- team.

Maybe in season 18 we can bring back some replicators for you....
    18 eh? Lol, well someone's optimistic.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Okay the bad first and then the good

The bad:
      These episodes would have been a lot better without the whole Knight thing. The hologram has been done and it had no point at all. It was meaningless and led to nothing. I will backtrack if there is more to this mythology in future episodes. It would have been better if Vala came with the book and the communication device and we got strait to the point. Secondly why waste RDA screen time with flash backs. I would have rather seen how he felt when he was promoted or a conversation with Hammond telling him that he has been promoted. Sorry had to dive a little into Avalon 1. I know next week when he has a special appearance it's going to just make me sad he's gone again . Throw me a bone will ya guys?! At least let me know how he feels not being a part of Stargate anymore. PLEASE!!!! I really miss the dynamics between Jack and Daniel, the little brother big brother thing. It was so flat when CM, Vala and DJ reported back to Landry and CM seemed to have no authority at all. It was lame.
      The Good:
      It picked up in the second half of the show and it started to feel like old episodes of SG1. really great acting, drama and a little suspense. I liked it and I am going to keep watching because I have been hooked on the line with the Ori. They act like Gods in a way but they don't claim to be gods they just want you to believe what they believe or they will destroy you interesting because it does parallel with Christianity and the dark ages. It could lead to interesting future episodes. Like last week I really liked Teal'c he was great. I liked his explanation why he was off with DJ and CM instead of Dakara. I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by emihaz5
        The bad:
        These episodes would have been a lot better without the whole Knight thing. The hologram has been done and it had no point at all. It was meaningless and led to nothing.

I agree to a point here, It did seem like a bit of a rehash of Thor's Chariot... But I liked it still.

Comment

I liked it much better than I did last weeks episode. As I suspected, once the exposition and flashbacks (mostly) were out of the way we could get to the action. These 3 parters kind of get on my nerves a bit though. All those darn "to be continueds".

I like the toned down Vala quite a bit. It gave a chance to get more of a feel for the actual interaction between her and Daniel without all that sexual innuendo.

The swordfight was a bit cheesy for my taste, especially the flashback scene during. Someone mentioned a Rocky vibe and I think that that pretty much sums it up. We're getting more of a feel for the actual "team" in this one and Teal'c got to say more than a couple "Indeed"s which I found pleasantly surprising. It's still too soon to really get a feel for the new doc but she seems competent if a little brusque. I just hope that they don't play up the relationship between her and Landry too much. I don't think the show really needs some unecessary subplot about the base doctor having daddy issues.

The scene with Vala being burned was unexpectedly wrenching and Claudia did an excellent job portraying the shock of the aftermath and Daniel cradling her burnt body was actually quite touching. I'm looking forward to the next show and seeing the Ori.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Anybody else almost fall over when Teal'c shouted "RAK'NOR!" I haven't seen Teal'c emote that much in years.

The "To Be Continued..." was a buzz-kill for me too. I was getting really excited when the Prior showed up, but then I realized I had to wait a whole damn week!
            Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
            Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
            Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
            Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Overall I liked this episode, but it felt rather disjointed - as if I watched two separate episodes. The first half was all Mitchell and the "great cave adventure" but the second half was all Daniel/Vala at the Renaissance Fair. Both parts were good, but felt odd to me.

I'm liking Landry more and more. He fits now, and the wee crossover with SGA with a nice touch. Lexa didn't do much, but I liked her and think she will do a good job. As for Mitchell, I'm already thinking of him as part of the team. Browder was a good choice. All we need is Carter.

Vala - I said last week that TPTB would tone her down. Last week was her big splash, and it had to be good. I like Vala and hope she comes back beyond her 5-6 episodes - not as a reg, but pop in now and then. Claudia is a hoot!

Can I say I'm tired of the Jaffa?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

i watched this ep (without ff through it), and....

i'm in a rather melancholy mood now. i feel like the sg1 that i know and love is gone.

for me, a show is more than it's plots and storylines. it's *always* been about the characters. while i like these new ppl, i found myself missing *my* sg1. there really wasn't anything wrong with tonight's ep, it's just... i want to see sam carter, jack o'neill, teal'c, and daniel jackson travel through the stargate together. half the team i love was gone. my two fave characters were missing.

i'm sure things will pick up for me when sam/amanda returns , but... i'm really having a hard time with my sad mood.

sally :/
                Last edited by majorsal; 22 July 2005, 09:23 PM.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

I liked it.

I thought the beginning was a little cheesy, but it was fun. I like Indiana Jones.

The middle did get bogged down a bit with exposition (slow down a little, Michael )

The ending was surprisingly powerful. Shanks and Black were awesome. The music added a lot to the emotional impact. I got a little teary when Daniel was holding Vala's body.

Claudia Black is such a good actress. I watched both showings and the second time, I made a point to try and catch all of her facial expressions--she is always in the moment.

I continue to like Mitchell.

Chris Judge was very good in his Jaffa scenes.

I thought Lexa was good as the doctor--not as warm and fuzzy as Janet--but maybe there will be some character development to come.

Overall, a really enjoyable episode for me.

Can't wait for next week.

Jace
                  Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

That was so damn cool!

I am personally so happy that I have no been reading the spoilers because this story is meant to be heard from the show... I am really liking this.

I loved the Goa'Ould and the egyptian mythology... But I also like evolution in a show, and this is evolution... However, if it's truly for the best we shall see, but if the premier so far (I say that because it's a three parter) is any indication... This season will do fine.
                    sigpic
                    In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      i want to see sam carter, jack o'neill, teal'c, and daniel jackson travel through the stargate together. half the team i love was gone.
                      The last two years must've been hell for you because the Jack O'Neill I knew, anyway, has been gone for a long time before now. I kind of made peace with the growing inevitability that RDA was going to leave after season 7. The fact that he got promoted last season spelled doom for anything more than bit appearances if it was picked up again. The SG-1 we've known and loved for years IS gone, and it isn't coming back, unfortunately. But Cam seems like a worthy successor so far and the show seems to have picked up considerably in this episode from the somewhat sluggish first part, so things are looking good. Different, but good. At least in my opinion.

Also, anybody else notice that Daniel and Cam seemed to ALWAYS be wearing the opposite colors? Kind of a funny contrast to Jonas' question of how to know which color to wear, I thought.
                      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I've thought the whole swordfight thing over and I decided my first instinct was only slightly incorrect. It's not completely Rocky-esque. I believe that there is also a little bit of Walker Texas Ranger in that fight as well, minus the long stare and "strobe" effect. All we need now is horrible background music.
                        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
                          I also don't get why Salis dying kills Vala. I thought it was a poor plot contrivance in the Matrix when dying in the Matrix killed you in real life -- they only did it so there would be any danger whatsoever. And it's a poor plot contrivance now when Stargate copies it.
                          Of course YOU don't get it. You seem to think that this works like a dream-- where if you die in your dream, you wake up in a sweat suddenly from the shock of 'dying.' The reason that happens is because your body is in an inert state (or rather, with a lack of conscious motor function) while your brain is fairly active.

You saw it yourself. Daniel and Vala took over someone's body, Quantum-Leap style. It's not just your brain doing the work, it's your eyes, your mouth, your fingers, your toes, your... you get the picture. You are in an active state. You have conscious motor functions. You can get punched in the stomach and feel the pain associated with getting punched in the stomach. It is as if you were walking around in your own body, only, in some manner, it wasn't.

So what is so wrong about dying when you die?

Incidentally, Sam in Quantam Leap could very well feel the pain his host body did, and killing the host body could very well kill him, too (he leaped into a guy who was slated for the electric chair, you know).

Doesn't anyone know what Quantum Leap is these days?
                          I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

Now this was a good episode. It went by so quickly, but with the pots did it just end up to be replaced the lid of the treasure one and then taking the lid off the universe one? Seems too easy to just get it right by trial and error. By the way, with the crushing ceiling, with the stone pedestals, how were the ceilings ever going to get low enough to crush them? Granted they'd be trapped, but not crushed, unless the pedestals retracted into the floor or something.

Anyway, now we're delving into more mythology, Vala wasn't mentioning sex every two seconds, Daniel got to do his thing, just a good episode! For the second time now, I have to say that Mr. Judge is doing great. In both Avalons Teal'c has just blown me away.

My main complaint last week was that it was too light hearted and, perhaps, "campy" that it took away from the realism. This was of course remedied by the fire scene. I'm so glad the producers were willing to go there. That was beautiful in a horrific way. We always expect them to get out of it at the last second so it really sucked you in when it actually happened. Even though I don't like her, I did feel for Vala. Just brillant way to really capture my attention.

Because of Daniel's and Vala's body-snatching situation and how much Daniel hates the Goa'uld, I was expecting some sort of comment.

I appreciated how fast Daniel was talking. I like it as a Danielism and when they're about to be killed, it relays the pressure and anxiety.

Definitely looking forward to next week!

Comment

Liked this ep, all the people were great, but did I miss where they said "The New Doctor Is the New General's Daughter?" even though I knew, it seemed like a big oversight. Maybe he should have said something protective and she says "it's okay dad, i'm fine" and then back to work.

It was a bloody great episode, if they keep this up it should go for another 9 seasons.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Well...woo-hoo, that was an exciting SciFi Friday.

"Avalon - Part Two" rocked. Wow -- what a wonderful episode. Cameron
                                Mitchell is learning quickly about the SGC. Even Vala was redemmed in
                                this episode -- her personality was toned down quite a bit in this
                                episode. We're introduced to Dr. Lam -- is she military? She wasn't
                                wearing dog tags.

Loved the sword fight between Mitchell and the holographic knight.
                                With the background music, the scene reminded me of the sword fight
                                from the Prince Valiant movie -- the Robert Wagner 1954 version, not
                                the inferior 1997 version, between Prince Valiant and Sir Brack.

The Vala scene being burned alive was definitely one of more dramatic -
                                and almost too gruesome -- scenes I've ever seen on SG1. Andy Mikita
                                directed this scene with an excellent hand.

We're also introduced to the name of Gerak -- he's been elected to
                                Govern the new Jaffa Nation. (Nice seeing Raknor again). And, we also
                                get to hear Gen. O'Neill's name mentioned again. It was nice hearing
                                his name. Missed not seeing any Sam at all in this episode, and she wasn't even mentioned.

Nice tie in with "Citizen Joe" using those stones -- and they're a
                                long range communication device. Interesting -- you could use those
                                stones for advance scouting. But be sure to read the Cliff Notes on
                                the society you're visiting, missiing out on a blessing over tea can
                                get you into more than hot water in some societies.

ACK! This episode is to be continued yet again -- but we get to SEE
                                Gen. O'Neill next week in "Origin." Yea!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X