Moebius, Part 1 (819)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by First View Post
    It would've been smarter if they had a dead ZPM or a fake replica to swap with the good one. So that nobody would notice that it was missing, which could alter the timeline in an unforseen way. I mean it was considered a valuable "jewel". If it were to go missing, there would be consequences.
    That's an interesting point. Given that it appears in a wall painting as being carried by Ra (as depicted in The Eye of the Sun) the ZPM must have had some real significance to the members of his cult.

What this doesn't indicate is whether or not it was of great significance to Ra. Given that all he could do with it was watch it glow, and not a lot else, chances are he wasn't all that bothered about it as anything other than something to impress the masses with if he wanted to make a show of 'divinity' ('see - the god carries the sun in a rock!'). It may be simply that he was seen with it once or twice and people were amazed by the fact that he could contain the sun in a rock. Such is the power of rumour.

While it's loss would almost certainly impact upon the Jaffa charged with guarding the treasury, and possibly on local people (for the sake of appearances, you understand) the chances are that these would be essentially 'ripples' that would have little or no significant effect upon the overall timeline. Something like Ra depicted in the Wall Painting holding something else in his hand, perhaps; though quite possibly not even that much of a change.

It was a gamble, but, given the benefits if the mission was successful, one that Daniel clearly thought was worth taking. Except it went wrong, of course...
    sigpic

Comment

'wrong' is a fairly big understatement for that particular screwup
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

the whole time travel thing is a confusing concept though.

when they went back in time, and Jack and Teal'c ended up trying to thwart Ra, hence the mucked up timeline, did Daniel have to wait around in Egypt, live out his life and die... and then be reborn again in the new timeline? Or it's kind of like Back to the Future and they go back to the time they left.. it's all weird, was it ever actually fully explained? It's just for a fanfic that I'm writing and I'm not sure how i'm goign to conclude it with the time device puddle jumper.

if you can think of something, check my fanfic out http://www.fanfiction.net/~Jamsack
        It's called Changing the Past

Thanks
        LOVE
        Sam Jack, JamSack
        LOVE

Comment

Originally posted by JamSack View Post
          the whole time travel thing is a confusing concept though.

when they went back in time, and Jack and Teal'c ended up trying to thwart Ra, hence the mucked up timeline, did Daniel have to wait around in Egypt, live out his life and die... and then be reborn again in the new timeline? Or it's kind of like Back to the Future and they go back to the time they left.. it's all weird, was it ever actually fully explained? It's just for a fanfic that I'm writing and I'm not sure how i'm goign to conclude it with the time device puddle jumper.

if you can think of something, check my fanfic out http://www.fanfiction.net/~Jamsack
          It's called Changing the Past

Thanks
          Tossing in tags since it kind of has to do with Moebius pt 2....
          Spoiler:
          Daniel lived out his life and died in ancient Egypt in this alternate universe that was created when the team originally went back in time. They "fixed" the timeline close enough in Part 2 that this alternate universe was essentially the same as the original universe that the "original" Daniel was from. So while at the end of Part 2 we essentially have the same Daniel, he is not the "original" Daniel that went back in time so he wasn't really "reborn". It's just another Daniel, albeit identical to the original. *shrug* Or that is my interpretation of it anyway. The SG-1 team we had for 8 years prior to that died (though I suppose we could have lost the "original" Carter in "Point of View"), imo, and we picked up with AU SG-1 at the end of Moebius.

So to answer your question, no, that Daniel did not use the time jumping PJ to go back to his "original" time like in the Back to the Future movies. He died in ancient Egypt.

IMO always implied.

Comment

Made this yesterday and this seemed a relevant thread to post it in...

Please don't snatch without permission, thanks.
            Last edited by elephantgirl; 25 January 2008, 10:06 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

If they were to go back in time and get the ZPM that was left there, could they go more back in time ( say by a few seconds ) and grab the ZPM again? essentially they would have 2 of the same ZPMs. Theoretically they could do this hundreds of times, if they only went a few seconds into the past and continually grabbed the same ZPM.

Also, something that seems more logical to me.

They could have went into the future earth and grabbed an alternative power source that could be more powerful then a ZPM... and bring it back to the past. They would in no way alter the past, only the future when the returned.

Comment

never thought of that but i doubt the machine goes forward only back. altho it could be possible the ancient that bilt it could have made it go both ways even tho stargate and stargate atlants never shows if it can go forward
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
                  never thought of that but i doubt the machine goes forward only back. altho it could be possible the ancient that bilt it could have made it go both ways even tho stargate and stargate atlants never shows if it can go forward
                  you can't go into the future, the laws of physics forbid it, you don't want the physics police to srrest you do you? any way they said that they can't go forward, only back.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                  Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                  Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Besides, how would they know where and when to go to in the future to find such a device?

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
                      you can't go into the future, the laws of physics forbid it, you don't want the physics police to srrest you do you? any way they said that they can't go forward, only back.
                      Are you watching the same show i am? they can go forward.

The whole point of this episode was for them to go get a ZPM in the past and then go forward again with it.

Originally posted by Ilana View Post
                      Besides, how would they know where and when to go to in the future to find such a device?
                      They could make an estimated guess. Given how fast the technology level is going up maybe a few thousand years?
                      Last edited by Alan Wake; 14 September 2008, 12:12 PM.

Comment

but still they knew for sure were the one in the past is. so if they could go forward as well as back they most probably wouldn't would they? because they would have to guess anyway if they were looking for more ZPMs and know what they now do from atlants they could go back in that galaxy and just get a ZPM from there. as long as it wasn't being used for something important
                        sigpic

Comment

i don't even try to understand the science/logic of time travel. all i know is that i enjoyed this episode. i enjoyed watching the the alternate versions of all the sg1 characters.

Comment

ok i was just watching this epi on my entire collection dvds, and jack says something about going back to 1908 to test it out...

why is 1908 so important?

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
                              ok i was just watching this epi on my entire collection dvds, and jack says something about going back to 1908 to test it out...

why is 1908 so important?
                              It's the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
                              I think Jack is from Chicago.
                              sigpic
                              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
                                really?

the laws of physics state you cannot go into the future?

considering our understanding of science is constantly changing and old things are going out the window or becomming more clear, whats true today is not true in the future.

plus there is an epi or 2 in SGA where they DO go into the future.

unlucky - 0, SG - 5,233,321

Comment

Working...
                                X