No announcement yet.

Reckoning, Part 2 (817)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I am ever able to get onto the GW forums again (note: And here I am, three days later.), I will surely post this

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
    of 'Reckoning Part 2'

As I was saying last week: Holy crap. Okay... I'm usually "Mr. Positive" when it comes to Stargate, but I must admit that there's been more "meh" grade episodes this season than there probably should have been. But boy, does this two-parter make up for it in a big way. This episode is easily the best of the season (at least so far, obviously) as well as one of the greatest Stargate episodes of all time.

The enormous awesome-factor aside, the plot is also moved a whole lot forward. The replicators are wiped from existance (unless some remain in another galaxy, I guess...), including RepliCarter, and the Jaffa rebellion appearantly win their freedom. Or at least, that seems to be the implication... They aren't actually seen being fully liberated, but their taking the temple supposedly proves once and for all to all Jaffa that the Goa'uld are false gods. Presumably, the days of the Goa'uld are numbered now that their armies will (again, supposedly) abandon them and very likely even turn on them.

Random observations!
    - Ba'al escaped the Jaffa. But what will happen to him now?
    - We didn't see Anubis in this episode. What's up with him?
    - What will happen to the Ancient weapon capable of seeing all life in the galaxy destroyed!? They didn't blow it up...
    - Anyone else worried about Jacob? He was obviously affected by the Ancient weapon... I have a bad feeling about this.
    - Speaking of the Ancient weapon - did anyone notice that its design was pretty much the same as the failed time device found in 'Window of Opportunity'? And that the screen looked a lot like the ones in Atlantis?
    - This is the second time the replicators have invaded the SGC. I just about died when they came through the gate... and when Jack and the gang were unable to stop them.
    - Daniel controlling the replicators was bloody brilliant!
    - Loved the sequence where we see gates activating on many planets. I recognized Chulak, the planet from 'Doble Jeopardy', the planet from Daniel's dream in 'Forever in a Day' (so it does exist - at least I think that was it) and the SGC.
    - Daniel is dead! He actually, really died in this episode! And he didn't come back! Okay - I'm sure this death won't be permanent either, but still...
    - Jack looked worried there at the end...

A couple of loose ends tied up... and a few left dangling for next week (and beyond? We'll see). I believe it was Robert C. Cooper who said that anyone who has ever been watching Stargate SG-1 would want to see the last few episodes this season. Well, it's obviously too early to tell about the remaining ones. But this week's episode sure did rock.

Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing

Also, if a person had walked through the stargate when it dialed all of the gates, would there now be millions of copies of them around on all the different planets? They should have just had the gate start up and shut down like in Window of Opportunity.
      If you were to walk through the gate you would end up in pieces. Parts on every world. Probably tiny parts since there is so many gates.
      Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

The ending was nice but they couldn't have possibly killed off all the replicators. There are plenty of planets without gates, there's planets with gates buried, there could have also been planets with gates already open, not to mention replicators that weren't near any planets.

Comment

Well what can I say that has not already been said before it was master piece I loved every minute of it.

I do want to discuss one thing though the ancient device they found Carter/Jacob had to reconfigure the output wave so it matchs to the weapon Jack created in “New Order” now remember at the end it was off “0.76” the original wave. Do you think some replicators survived and can be brought back in the future somehow. I hope not because it looked as if this was the end for the replicators.
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I got another question -- if they were using the Replicator-weapon that Jack made with his ancient knowledge, and then Replicater became immune to that weapon, why were they trying to get the weapon at Ta'kara to match the frequency of the original weapon? Shouldn't they have been trying to make it like the original weapon plus an upgrade or something to take into account the replicator's immunity to the original weapon?

Or was this ancient weapon so much more powerful that even being close to the original would somehow guarantee (with in .76) that it would work?

I agree that probably this variance has had an effect on Selmak somehow. I can't wait to find out!

Comment

Hmm... don't get to say this often.

As much as I loved Season 6, there hasn't been a Stargate episodet this good since Season 5. Finding faults in this episode is virtually impossible. In fact, I can only find three, and that's if I stretch it:

1. The device was the same one as WoO, but why no "This is familiar" from Sam?
              2. Dailing all the Gates at once; the thing from WoO did that as well, so why'd we need Ba'al to do it?
              3. The UV-washed world that had a Gate on it may or may not exist.

And truly, these are minor, minor nitpicks.

Everything about this episode was just wonderful:

1. Replicarter just felt like a completely different character. Hats off to AT for managing to play someone who looks the same, has the same feelings, yet is still a completely different person... I mean ... killing machine.

2. Ba'al was great. I am so glad he's not dead.

3. Playing up the angle that Selmak (and therefore Jacob) was finding it really difficult to work with Ba'al was a very clever thing to do. Here we have a Tok'ra, who's entire existance is based around fighting the Goa'uld, and he's been doing it for millenia, and now he's forced to work with one. It would be constantly eating him up inside.

4. CONTINUITY!!! Lots of references to other things - Avenger, Exodus etc.

5. Replicators in the SGC! The moment they started streaming out of the Gate my eyes shot out of my skull. I was completely not expecting that. Jack went into immediate combat mode and it did what I wasn't expecting - it put Jack back in the episode and actually made his presence worthwhile - he was doing something, something very important.

6. Jack going back for Siler! That was awesome. Both the 'blast door' and 'will' bits were great.

7. Daniel was very good in this episode. I loved the "No, but I'm learning!" line.

8. The second moment that made my eyes shoot out of my head - DANIEL DIED... AGAIN! I had no idea that was coming, took me totally by surprise. And it's not like 'Oh he's dead floating around on that ship', it's 'Oh he's dead and OMG the ship he was on just decintergrated!' I mean, talk about peril. I've often said that you can't threaten a character's life this late into a shows run (7th or 8th season) and expect there to be true suspence. What you can do to create suspence is just out and out KILL people, as they did in this. And man... did it work. And it was a completely different feeling to Meridian as well. In Meridian we knew he was going the whole ep, so it was sad. In this it was BANG, you're stabbed in the chest and BOOM, the ship is destroyed.

9. Sam and Jack trying to cope with their lack of knowledge over Daniel by not coping with it. Jack did exactly what he did in Revelations (Revelations being the ep from Season 5 that Reckoning 2 manages to match) and just shuts her down, refusing to even talk about it ('We don't know anything') and Sam cannot really start the conversation.

10. The music. Towards the end with the shots of everyone in peril, Sam and Jack firing away. The music was just great.

11. GIANT fleets of ships. Never before in Stargate have we seen anything like that.

12. The best beat in the entire episode:

*Replicator's freeze*

CUT TO Reynolds and Jack.

Reynolds: Hmm...
              Jack: That's odd.

(Beat)

They shruyg. Reynolds and Jack start firing again.

That bit was great.

11/10 for this episode. Best episode in a LONG LONG time.

BYE
              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                Here is a list of the planets gates - the 6th one did get me, I thought it was One False Step or Demons, but not sure
                Yep, it's it. Just checked. Only mirrored .

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  They do. Light from any light source will travel in every direction unless reflected or absorbed. If you light a match in a dark room you can see the light from every direction. Stuff like torches (flashlights in american english) seem to shine in a single direction because next to the light-source is a curved reflective plate which redirects the waves that were going sideways and backwards.

But water is a finite medium with a boundary, and the waves are caused by particle motion. The waves *do* travel in every direction until they reach a boundary such as the sea floor, air/water surface or a riverbank or coastline.

Except that a light from a match is really many lights, one light wave would be like a laser beam, one direction. Or try putting this match behind a board with a slit in it. The light will come through in sourt of a < shape as it difracts, but it will not go in every direction.

The same thing will happen with water waves when they go through a slit.

The stargate is a circular slit. :|
                  FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Albion, that is one of the longest posts ive ever seen
                    Yeah, got a tad excited. Could you tell?

I've lost my note of who it was who posted that the replicators were all called to the planet and then stuck in the time device, but I'm going to respond to it anyway. You know who you are. <g>

Yes, they were all trapped on the planet. That's true - then. But the replicators have been free of the time device planet for some time by the time we get to Reckoning. You don't think they'd have spread out as fast as they could by then? I don't think it's implausible that in the time since they've moved into neighbouring galaxies too.

Agree too with the poster who noted that there are bound to be some who escaped the weapon. Just as I argued with the Tollans being totally extinct - it's very hard to wipe out an entire race right down to the last individual, no matter what method you use. There are usually always survivors, who, through sheer luck or whatever are in the right place at the right time to miss out on being killed. I believe that TPTB could bring back replicators or Tollans if they chose. For the Tollans - they had a stargate. And ships. Tollans had to be using both on a day to day basis for whatever reason - commerce maybe, visiting friends on other worlds - the Nox, whoever - a hundred reasons. Some of those Tollans could have been offworld when Tollana was attacked. Some could have been out in space travelling in ships. It wouldn't strike me at all odd that there are scattered survivors out there.

Which doesn't mean I think the Tollans will appear again. Or the replicators for that matter. Just that if they did I wouldn't find it implausible.

While I'm here - here are my worries about Threads, given the ending of replicators. It's bugging me now. <g>:

Spoiler:
                    Given the spoilers for Thread are correct - and of course that's never a given - Daniel spends most of the episode in a diner with Oma thinking about whether to ascend as his life hangs in the balance. Following on from the end of Reckoning II, I can see only two scenarios there that fit this. One, his physical body has been found and he's lying in the SGC, hovering on the brink of death. Or, two, he's not yet been found and no one at the SGC knows what happened to him or whether he's dead or alive. Given both scenarios, what are Sam and Jack up to while their friend lies dying in the infirmary/whoknowswhere? Well, Sam's fretting over whether Pete's really the man for her. And Jack's off making whoopee with the nice lady from the CIA. Even worse, the suggestion is that Jack and Kerry's relationship has been ongoing for a while, not started in Threads. So just how long has Daniel been dying/missing by the time Threads begins? I've tried this on from various angles and just can't make it fit in character for Jack and Sam. Or fit logically into continuity at all. So bit puzzled right now as to how they'll make it all fit together with Reckoning II. Rather interested too though to see how they do. It seems impossible to make it work to me right now, but I'll be darn happy to be pleasantly surprised by their cleverness if they manage it.

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by joasia
                      Yep, it's it. Just checked. Only mirrored .
                      Actually if you watch FIAD and watch them come through the gate they come through with stock footage from One False Step (only purple) and it changes to new footage. Just watch what they have in their hands as they come through. So it's the same gate. Has the mirrored one been used in an epi I would suspect it has but can't think off hand?
                      jan t
                      jan t

Comment

was it me or did they forget about thor?

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

The weapon was effective throught the gates network, but what about hte planets where they buried the gate (Nox, Spirits...). Do you think there is a way for some Replicators to have survived on these planets ?
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Keffler
                            was it me or did they forget about thor?

No, they dident forget, at the end Sam tells jack that theyv had contact and Thor is currently being downloaded into a new body.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              The weapon was effective throught the gates network, but what about hte planets where they buried the gate (Nox, Spirits...). Do you think there is a way for some Replicators to have survived on these planets ?
                              I dont think so, maybe if the writers want to bring them back they will write that in, but i think they all came to that one place as to stop the 1 wepon that could destroy them all, Replicarter may have new there was a slight chance she wouldent get the wepon, so made sure every replicator was trying to get to it.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

apologises, just rewatched it, must of missed that bit.

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Working...
                                X