Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review:

Vala was introduced in this episode.

That's it. That's what was good about this episode. That's the only thing that was good about this episode.

On to the negative:

First of all, if you're going to write an episode for Daniel fans, you should write it for Daniel fans. In my experience, people who fall in love with kind, considerate, understanding, ethical, geeky genius characters are usually not also fans of slapstick humor.

Second, did anybody care about Lt. Novak's hiccups? Anyone? It wasn't funny, and it certainly wasn't interesting, although it was a bit enlightening - I learned why some people don't think drinking from the opposite side of a glass works - it's because they interpret the instruction wrong (see footnote for unsolicited advice ).

Third, this episode was the perfect example of everything that's been wrong with Daniel's characterization for this entire season. He was petulant at the beginning, stupid throughout, and, worst of all, when he had Vala in the brig, and he could freely talk to her, he didn't use the opportunity to try to understand why she stole the ship. Totally unlike Daniel. Where's the person who asks questions? Who tries to find creative, mutually-beneficial solutions to conflicts? Who listens to people?

And that's not even counting the plot holes the size of brontosauruses.

Rating: 2 out of 10. It only rates that high because of Vala.

Footnote on drinking from the opposite side of the glass. The way Novak did it, I wouldn't be surprised if it made her hiccups get worse. She did two things completely wrong.

First, she was sitting, and bending way over at the waist. You need to be standing and bending at the spine - at chest level, and at the shoulders. The entire point of drinking from the opposite side is to force your body into a posture that's so awful that you can barely breathe except in tiny breaths that barely allow your diaphram to move at all. Bend your shoulders way forward and concentrate on the collapsed feeling in your chest.

Second, she was slurping and taking big gulps. You don't slurp - slurping leads to coughing, and coughing with hiccups is bad - and in fact, if you're doing it right, you can't slurp, because slurping requires breathing. You fill the glass almost to the rim, affix your top lip to the glass (expect a wet chin and some spillage until you get the hang of it), and allow the water to pour in small amounts into your mouth. The idea is to take several frequent, tiny swallows with no air.

Do this for at least 45 seconds. You should be able to fit in at least 10 tiny swallows into that time. Then take a last swallow, wait a second, then straighten up (not terribly quickly). Take several slow, moderated, NOT DEEP, breaths, kind of like you're sleeping. Wait for the moment when you know the hiccups are gone. Avoid sudden movements, taking very deep breaths, laughing, or coughing for at least 5 minutes. Has never failed for me.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
      Footnote on drinking from the opposite side of the glass. The way Novak did it, I wouldn't be surprised if it made her hiccups get worse. She did two things completely wrong.

First, she was sitting, and bending way over at the waist. You need to be standing and bending at the spine - at chest level, and at the shoulders. The entire point of drinking from the opposite side is to force your body into a posture that's so awful that you can barely breathe except in tiny breaths that barely allow your diaphram to move at all. Bend your shoulders way forward and concentrate on the collapsed feeling in your chest.

Second, she was slurping and taking big gulps. You don't slurp - slurping leads to coughing, and coughing with hiccups is bad - and in fact, if you're doing it right, you can't slurp, because slurping requires breathing. You fill the glass almost to the rim, affix your top lip to the glass (expect a wet chin and some spillage until you get the hang of it), and allow the water to pour in small amounts into your mouth. The idea is to take several frequent, tiny swallows with no air.

Do this for at least 45 seconds. You should be able to fit in at least 10 tiny swallows into that time. Then take a last swallow, wait a second, then straighten up (not terribly quickly). Take several slow, moderated, NOT DEEP, breaths, kind of like you're sleeping. Wait for the moment when you know the hiccups are gone. Avoid sudden movements, taking very deep breaths, laughing, or coughing for at least 5 minutes. Has never failed for me.
      Thanks for that enlightening explanation! I've always wondered how drinking out of the other side of the glass worked.
      SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

It's funny how this episode reminds me of a lot of fanfic.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
        Spoiler:

Comment

i loved this episode especially the start of it with the childish banter with Daniel and Jack.

Overall it was an average episode, average being 7 out of 10

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
            In my experience, people who fall in love with kind, considerate, understanding, ethical, geeky genius characters are usually not also fans of slapstick humor.

Second, did anybody care about Lt. Novak's hiccups? Anyone? It wasn't funny, and it certainly wasn't interesting
            Spot on. A distinctly average episode, the hiccups business was stupid and the slapstick more Chuckle Brothers than anything else.
            Main plus point is the potential for more Claudia Black.
            sigpic
            "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I like this ep. From the start to the end. A lot of fun. Daniel with Jack, Jack with Hammond, Daniel with Vala and of course Novak. Yeah Novak was amusing. Reminds me Daniel - he had at the begin a 'travel allergy'. I think it was a good ep to introduced Vala. I like her. And her 'fight' with Daniel... LOL

Comment

I had high expectations from this episode mainly because Claudia Black was on it, the fight was unconvincing, a joke. Sorry, here Vala is as shallow as a dryed lake. I'm glad
                Spoiler:
                she was toned downed in season 9 and hope she will be even more toned down in the 10th. I liked better Vala as a character in seson 9
                Maybe I exagerated with the spoiler tags, but rules..... are rules.
                School is overrated.

Comment

No, ya didn't exaggurate (sp?) with them. Very wise putting in spoiler tags.
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Daniel pinching her head on the monitor was rather funny.
                    Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

Originally posted by AndyStargateUK
                      Daniel pinching her head on the monitor was rather funny.
                      Yeah, have to admit I DID like that bit.
                      sigpic
                      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I love the fight scene very entertaining.
                        sigpic

Comment

What I really liked about this episode was how many of the other characters got to shine for a while-Hammond, Walter, Col. Reynolds, Dr. Novak, etc. They can definitely hold their own!

Comment

Well, an enjoyable episode of season 8: Vala, space battles, boundy hunters...
                            Loved the reference to SW of Dany
                            Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                              It's funny how this episode reminds me of a lot of fanfic.
                              Yes it does. And not the good stuff.

I thought this ep was stupid from start to finish. Er, drop the bulkheads and vent the oxygen. No more problem. Unless ther Kull outfit has an O2 supply... I can't remember if the Prometheus had beaming tech yet.

I watched the whole ep and when it was finally over decided to never ever watch it on DVD even for the commentaries, which I usually like.

I can see it was supposed to be funny. I wasn't laughing. <yawn>

Suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I didn't find the episode funny either, but I liked it. In fact, I didn't like any of the things that were supposed to be the highlights of the episode. Hated the fight scene. Didn't find the Hans Olo line amusing. Can't stand the cooties! thing with giving mouth to mouth thing. Actually didn't mind Novak, although if she hadn't been there, I don't think it would have been any loss to the episode.

I liked this for the scene with Jack and Daniel. I'm as much a fan of Daniel in his snarky, childish acting (love him ranting about who shot him in Lockdown, and I'm believing he actually does steal Jello from imfirmary patients) as I am of noble sacrificing Daniel. So, loved Daniel threatening to quit if he couldn't go to Atlantis. I liked the initial unveiling of Vala, I liked how Daniel seemed nervous to be bound with Vala there (and I thought that was played in a serious manner) and then thinking Vala was a Goa'uld -especially considering he's had some very bad experiences with female hosts.

And, most of all, I loved it for the Daniel and Hammond interaction. The episode just seemed to be full of respect and affection. From Hammond being in Jack's office, to Daniel coming on the Prometheus, to Hammond asking Daniel if he was okay at the end. The Daniel and Hammond interaction made the episode for me.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X