No announcement yet.

Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I first saw this one from a dl net file and wasn't sure about it. So reserved judgement until I saw it last night in a slightly more detailed/clearer to watch format, in case my disappointment with it was more because of the crappy quality first time around, than anything else.

Not sure my opinion changed much. It was an okay episode. Daniel looked very cute and it was nice to see him have a lot of screen time. I just wish it could have been doing something a little more exciting and meaningful than standing around listening to people threaten one another or walking around talking politics in almost every scene.

As I think someone else said already, there were just too many scenes all the same for me - most of the planet scenes were boring and I felt no sense of moving forward or momentum as we progressed through the episode, no sense of pace or timing, no buildup to a climax or conclusion. It was very weirdly paced. Like a collection of scenes and then a very flat ending as though someone just got bored and thought, "Okay, let's end it here then, can't be bothered doing anything else with it."

There were moments I enjoyed. The 'squirrely' walk and talk with Daniel and Jack. The very subtle character interaction in the scene where Carter and Teal'c come back through the gate to tell Jack they've got nowhere with Soren. The very nice moment when the team came through the gate and Daniel took a moment to glance at Sam, waiting for her nod of permission, before answering one of the alien's questions. I thought that was a rather nice touch from MS. And some others here and there. But not enough to keep my interest or make this an episode I'll revisit frequently.

And I found the whole WWII atmosphere very weird. Where did those aliens get all those Earth weapons? And the whole French resistance riff - prepetuated by the clothing everyone wore - was very strange and off putting.

All in all - one of the duds this season for me, despite some nice moments. New Ground isn't a favourite episode either, but I think it dealt with the themes in this one a whole lot better and after watching Icon, I'm growing more fond of it!

Seriously, when Daniel talks to her outside and he reaches out to touch her face, she pulls away, instead saying she would talk with her husband.
    Of course, playing devil's advocate, she doesn't exactly rush to disagree when hubby asks her if she's in love with Daniel. Personally, I found this strand of the plot just unnecessary and it just got in the way. Again, it seemed to have little coherence as we progressed through the episode, and didn't really seem to say anything important about the characters. And I agree with previous posters who long for this kind of episode (and not just in Stargate to be fair) to have a man and a woman meeting and cooperating together for a higher cause without one having a crush on the other. Please? Just once a little originality? Would be nice. I mean it is possible for a woman to nurse a wounded man back to health without her hormones driving her to distraction. No matter how hot he is with his shirt off.

Admittedly - playing devil's advocate in the other direction now - I think Daniel might just be an exception to that rule. He is very, very hot, after all. I think, personally, I'd just let my hormones run wild and to hell with it.

Albion
    Last edited by Albion; 03 November 2004, 07:35 AM.
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I liked this one. It was thoughtful. It's about time we saw SG-1 having a negative effect on one of the societies they touch. It's something that's often brushed under the carpet. Remember Memento? "I believe in and follow the old gods," "They weren't really gods," "Oh. Want to look at my books?" That bugged me no end; so it's nice to have an acknowledgement that when SG-1 turn people's beliefs upside down there are ramifications. Even so I think to an extent it was a cop-out; I'd have liked more to see a story where SG-1 were really the cause of civil unrest rather than just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Jack's approach to diplomacy is typically Jackish. It's interesting this season to watch him having to be the one who bites his tougue and makes friendly with the visiting dignitaries. There are edges in his voice that we who know him will pick up but that would be missed by new characters, and in Icon Teal'c is taking up some of the slack in terms of being directly critical in these sorts of negotiations.

The house in the country was beautiful, and the city design was good, but other than that I was disappointed with the design of the episode. Woudn't it be good to meet a reasonably-close-in-technological-development world where everything *isn't* just like America? Still, when the story's as decent as Icon it's easier to look past extraneous stuff like that. Cough*SpaceRacewasdire*cough

Good to see the team going offworld again. And I liked the preamble where the malp came through.

I agree that it's a bit of a cliche for the woman to get mushy over the man she's nursing back to health. But at least it was low key - no declarations of undying passion, thank goodness. I think the saving grace is that the woman *knew* it was a crush rather than True Love.

The OCs were okay (which for me is high praise for an OC). It had a nice Team feel, even though the team was split. Jack, Sam and Teal'c interacted well, and - wheeee! - seemed appropriately concerned and upset that one of their friends was missing.

Madeleine

Comment

Icon. I didn't think the beginning caught my interest that much, so I didn't pay much detailed attention to this episode as I would have others, but a second-time watching might help.

Daniel was pretty decent in the episode, a lot of focus based around him, which is a good thing sinc we don't see him on the spot that often. The planet seemed fine to begin with, but a civil war? I think that might have been a bit farfetched, but understandable.

Not an amazing episode, but good enough.
        __

__

Comment

Eventually getting round to checking this ep out!

Basically, break off a chunk of New Ground and a chunk of 100 days, drizzle in a bit of Meridian(the place looked like it had similar tech to Kelowna) and mix! I've seen worse but this comes from shake n bake school of writing!

It was a laugh seeing the MALP heading towards the tourists. Would have been an even bigger laugh had one of Soren's men just shot him at the end.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Oh dear, the idea for this ep was ok, but all in all, a nothing episode.

Why such a mix of weapons?

The good guys are using carbines, WW1 from the look of them, the bad guys are using russian AK47s and pump action shotguns and their leader has a pistol that looked like something Buck Rodgers would have carried.

What was the timescale?

Daniel in one scene looks like he used his face to stop a lawnmower blade, a couple of cuts later and his face is unmarked, not even a hint of a scar.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually, the good guys were using M1 Garands. Aside from the flare gun that the head bad guy had, virtually all the weapons fell within a 15 year time range.

M1, PPS, PPsH, AK-47.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                Actually, the good guys were using M1 Garands. Aside from the flare gun that the head bad guy had, virtually all the weapons fell within a 15 year time range.

M1, PPS, PPsH, AK-47.
                Thanks MF, the good guys guns were bugging me no end.

sigpic

Comment

The ads were more interesting, I'm afraid. I was bored by the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger

I kept expecting the "resistance" guys to go up to the grannie's bedroom only to have her shout "ze nobs, zey are flashink" (only viewers of 'Allo 'Allo will get that one) and for a girl in a beret and trenchcoat to say "I shall say zis only once"
                    Ha! Were Soren's guys in leather trench coats? that would have made it perfect. I thought it was only an ok episode.

Comment

i just saw icon and i have to say it was a bit confusing but it was a cool idea though!
                      "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

Originally posted by ApophisOfTheStargateRealm
                        i just saw icon and i have to say it was a bit confusing but it was a cool idea though!
                        took the words right out of my mouth

Comment

Bah! This ep had me hooked, I was looking soooooooo forward to a showdown and what I get a lame ending....Kane shoots Soran. Bah! Lame!

Comment

I surprised myself by actually liking it. It wasn't a grand and glorious shoot em up, but it was good drama. I thought the religious-fanatic-who-worships-goa'uld is a little overused (reffering to 'New Ground' and other eps where the Goa'uld haven't actually been seen) But one could argue that's what the shows about.
                            -I found Daniel's use of Goa'uld as code intelligent, I thought tha flashbacks gave it a good energy and didn't find them jarring or confusing at all. It suited the episode.
                            -I liked the drama of Sam/Jack/Teal'c's search and concern for him, and I liked the scene where Jack snaps at Sam. Because it really showed his frustration at his helplessness in the loss of his friend.
                            -I found the ending interesting because they have absolutely no qualm's of turning the tide of this civil war. And they didn't re-use the 'moral dillemma' from 'The Other Side' but they left the thought there for anyone to notice. Along with Kane shooting Soren when he didn't really have to. They didn't torture the point to death, but acknowledged it.
                            -I liked the show of brotherhood in battle between Daniel and Kane and the fact that it didn't revolve around Kane's wife.
                            -And last but not least...It was worth it just to see a woman attracted to Daniel who wasn't a simpering coniving anoying little twirp. Leda had guts, she was brave -hiding the men in the basement and facing a group of armed and ruthless men on her own- And she didn't make a play for Daniel. She was honest about her feelings but she wasn't all, "Take me with you Daniel! Please, please please!" she let him go very gracefully. She was mature, which I think showed a step in Daniel's growing up.
                            Last edited by melpomene; 05 November 2005, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by melpomene
                              -And last but not least...It was worth it just to see a woman attracted to Daniel who wasn't a simpering coniving anoying little twirp. Leda had guts, she was brave -hiding the men in the basement and facing a group of armed and ruthless men on her own- And she didn't make a play for Daniel. She was honest about her feelings but she wasn't all, "Take me with you Daniel! Please, please please!" she let him go very gracefully. She was mature, which I think showed a step in Daniel's growing up.
                              Perhaps it was nice to see a more mature woman like Daniel, but I really would prefer to see a woman introduced in the story that didn't automatically become the love interest for one of the major characters. A woman who is independent and truly loyal to her significant other would have been ideal. It seemed Leda began as that type of character, but I groaned when her husband asked if she had feelings for Daniel.
                              SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by melpomene
                                I surprised myself by actually liking it. It wasn't a grand and glorious shoot em up, but it was good drama. I thought the religious-fanatic-who-worships-goa'uld is a little overused (reffering to 'New Ground' and other eps where the Goa'uld haven't actually been seen) But one could argue that's what the shows about.
                                -I found Daniel's use of Goa'uld as code intelligent, I thought tha flashbacks gave it a good energy and didn't find them jarring or confusing at all. It suited the episode.
                                -I liked the drama of Sam/Jack/Teal'c's search and concern for him, and I liked the scene where Jack snaps at Sam. Because it really showed his frustration at his helplessness in the loss of his friend.
                                -I found the ending interesting because they have absolutely no qualm's of turning the tide of this civil war. And they didn't re-use the 'moral dillemma' from 'The Other Side' but they left the thought there for anyone to notice. Along with Kane shooting Soren when he didn't really have to. They didn't torture the point to death, but acknowledged it.
                                -I liked the show of brotherhood in battle between Daniel and Kane and the fact that it didn't revolve around Kane's wife.
                                This says everything I was going to say.

timdalton007

Comment

Working...
                                X