No announcement yet.

Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still can't believe they let the rebel leader have full diplomatic courtesy while at the SGC. We've held System Lords prisoner on three occasions and Jack personally chose to kill Alar (the Nazi-esque leader from "The Other Side") rather than take him prisoner, but nobody wanted to do anything at all about zealot-boy Kane when he was right there in the facility.

I can only think of two reasons for this:

a) They didn't want to screw up the nation any more than they already had with an armed invasion, even if to take out a fanatical dictatorship. Seems unlikely, since they were just fine with an armed coup after a quick chat with Daniel.

b) They didn't want to make Kane a martyr or otherwise provoke the zealots. Again, seems unlikely as during the coup, they certainly would've shot him if he turned his gun on them. Even if not, whether loyalists or SGC personnel captured him would have created the same situation as if they took him prisoner right there in the SGC.

As we well know, the SGC has no prime directive preventing them from interfering, and this is one of the few situations where intervention could be fairly easily justified. It just disappointed me that the possibility was never even acknowledged.

Comment

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
      I still can't believe they let the rebel leader have full diplomatic courtesy while at the SGC. We've held System Lords prisoner on three occasions and Jack personally chose to kill Alar (the Nazi-esque leader from "The Other Side") rather than take him prisoner, but nobody wanted to do anything at all about zealot-boy Kane when he was right there in the facility.

I can only think of two reasons for this:

a) They didn't want to screw up the nation any more than they already had with an armed invasion, even if to take out a fanatical dictatorship. Seems unlikely, since they were just fine with an armed coup after a quick chat with Daniel.
      Well, for all they knew Daniel could have dead (making an attack pointless) or captive (meaning an attack would surely get him killed). Once they knew Daniel was safe and in contact with 'the resistance' things changed.

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
      b) They didn't want to make Kane a martyr or otherwise provoke the zealots. Again, seems unlikely as during the coup, they certainly would've shot him if he turned his gun on them. Even if not, whether loyalists or SGC personnel captured him would have created the same situation as if they took him prisoner right there in the SGC.

As we well know, the SGC has no prime directive preventing them from interfering, and this is one of the few situations where intervention could be fairly easily justified. It just disappointed me that the possibility was never even acknowledged.
      They didn't take Kane prisoner when he visited the SGC for the same reasons the didn't attack. Once his regime was effectively overthrown having him in custody would probably be better then having him a martyr. In either case it would create trouble.

Comment

I read a Gateworld thing about how the producers, in considering whether or not to renew Stargate SG1 to season nine, were worried about beating a dead horse, and considered maybe wanting to go out strong.

I don't know what they're talking about. The show isn't getting repeatetive. I mean, they've never done an episode of SG1 before where SG1's arrival on a new planet caused civil unrest because of religious schisms. Except of course for New Ground. ..And Memento.

Comment

Oh, and the reason they showed the bad guy diplomatic courtesy is that they were trying to talk him into forking Daniel over.

Killing a leader doesn't necessarily decapitate a movement. It would have resulted in more violence, and if Daniel were their captive it would have resulted in Daniel's killing.

Comment

Total crap, just as bad as season 7's birthright.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Originally posted by Replicarter
              Total crap, just as bad as season 7's birthright.
              You know, for everyone who didn't think 'Birthright' was bad, that is not going to mean anything...
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I liked this episode. Team working together to find one of their own, and one of their own never giving up hope, and using what he knows about Jaffa battle techniques (which I assume he studied with Teal'c) and linguistics to send a message. Had Jack showing concern. So, I haven't read the whole thread but just putting in my opinion that there's at least one (maybe more?) who liked this episode.

And, I didn't see it as romance between Leda and Daniel. She wasn't in love with Daniel, she was just lonely because Jared had become distant. She was just responding to Daniel as a nice person that she could talk to. I don't think there was any love or sexual attraction (besides noticing that Daniel's one good looking man)
                Last edited by Dani347; 22 August 2004, 06:20 PM.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I agree it wasn't a romance between Leda and Daniel. Her husband was away and she had become lonely and taking care of Daniel filled that void in her life. There might have been a small attraction. I mean, he was shirtless in bed and Leda is a woman.

Seriously, when Daniel talks to her outside and he reaches out to touch her face, she pulls away, instead saying she would talk with her husband. He also wants to say good-bye to her, but she rebuffs his efforts towards the end of the episode.

Lisa Michelle

Comment

I liked Birthright. It was rather original, especially in the sci fi universe. Could have done without Jack's crude remark requiring a power bar to shut him up.
                    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

I thought this episode was OK the first time I saw it, but then I fell asleep watching it last night. Maybe it's just because I saw it only a few weeks ago, although it was pretty confusing the first with all of the random flashback things.
                      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Anything was better than "Avatar." This wasn't bad at all.

Comment

Excellant episode. Liked Daniel (not in THAT way, i'm a bloke and not a slasher) liked Jack and most of all I liked teal'c firing a P-90 one-handed. Did any one else want to see him just walk round the corner and mow everyone down with a P-90 in each hand while the fundies old-fashioned rifle bullets just smacked into his kevlar? I wonder why he no longer uses his staff.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

I was thinking from the spoilers "Oh good, a planet of the week episode, I've missed those..."
                            It reminded me of sort of a cross between The Other Side, New Ground and any episode involving politics on Kelowna...

Good episode, but very serious.
                            A little disturbing to think that could happen just by going through the gate - or that something like that could happen here....
                            It was different to see 'our heroes' causing such devestation. I mean they've shown SG1 getting it wrong before, but they've managed to fix it, or if not, it's never been quite on this scale before.

The Daniel/Leda/Jared love triangle....okay, so it wasn't exactly a love triangle, but it did feel a little bit soap-ish. There was a moment or two that it felt a bit like Pearl Harbor...but I love that film, so I don't mind that!

Actually, this episode could have been a film if it wasn't part of a tv series, if that makes sense. There was a lot going on, and a lot of different levels of the story, IMHO the plot would make a good film.

And as a bonus for this episode...wasn't Daniel looking fine!

Comment

An interesting episode, it dealt with a serious theme but I feel it needed to be longer to expand on some elements of the plot. There was a large scale war going on yet there was just no feeling as to how big it was, and in the end given that Sorens forces were occupying the city, Daniel and the other troops seemed to have no problem just walking into the city and the main command center.

Comment

Absolutely disliked this ep. It reminded me of others, which is not good (The Other Side handled this sort of conflict much better, New Ground is ok in a similar vein...)

I kept expecting the "resistance" guys to go up to the grannie's bedroom only to have her shout "ze nobs, zey are flashink" (only viewers of 'Allo 'Allo will get that one) and for a girl in a beret and trenchcoat to say "I shall say zis only once"

All in all it was pretty predictable. I'd preferred to have discovered that the religious fundamentalists were in the right, or that he was a goa'uld or something, anything other than the blandness we got.

Just as well Atlantis is on right afterwards...
                                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X