S
    P
    o
    I
    l
    e
    r
    ish...

Granted this is a nitpick in the overall scheme of Icon's plotline, but how did the Rand soldiers understand Sam's hand signals? Is there now some Universal Book of Super Sneaky Military Stealth Hand Signals issued to all human-inhabited worlds? Admittedly, I haven't the faintest clue what all of these combat gestures mean, but I found it curious that members of an alien culture would.

Comment

Most of it was the equivelent of "You, over there!"

Comment

Originally posted by crowhop
        S
        P
        o
        I
        l
        e
        r
        ish...

Granted this is a nitpick in the overall scheme of Icon's plotline, but how did the Rand soldiers understand Sam's hand signals? Is there now some Universal Book of Super Sneaky Military Stealth Hand Signals issued to all human-inhabited worlds? Admittedly, I haven't the faintest clue what all of these combat gestures mean, but I found it curious that members of an alien culture would.
        At first i wondered about that too, but i guess since both worlds seem to have similar things, such as the guns, the buildings, bunkers, etc, maybe we have to assume they knew the hand signals? But i guess they went over the signals before or something, haha, i don't know.
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Most of it was the equivelent of "You, over there!"
          I understand that some of the military/combat hand signals can get quite elaborate, but the ones I saw in "Icon" were the kind my dog could (and does) understand. If they were playing baseball with the alien soldiers, I think there would have been more serious hand signal problems.
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I thought is was a pretty good episode. It did seem sort of slow in places and I'm with Denise in having WWII movie flashbacks and expecting the French Resistance to come along and start saying things like "Vive la Rand Protectorate!" in truly horrendous French accents. But I still enjoyd the episode nonetheless. I was sort of iffy on the whole Daniel/Leda (married woman) angle but they didn't really do anything with it so it was o.k. I want to live in that house where Daniel was recovering though. What a beautiful home.

It's nice and yet odd at the same time to see General Jack in action being way more cautious then he would have been if he'd still been a Colonel. I like his and Daniel's hallway conversation. Anyway it's next weeks episode that I'm worried about. The Gamekeeper episode is probably my least favorite Stargate episode ever so I'm hoping that it's not even remotely similiar.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I think Icon belongs in the “episodes that failed” thread. It was a good idea, but in order to truly be a good episode, it just needed to be longer.

Because of the lack of time (and probably money):
              -we didn't get to know the rebel leader before he took over,
              -we never really got to feel the tension (or understand why there was tension) between the two countries,
              -we never saw any of the devastation (the only "survivors" we saw seemed to be doing just fine),
              -we never saw SG1's dealings w/any of the political leaders until the end.

Plus I found it unrealistic that the rebel leader’s little group would stop fighting just because he shot one person when it seemed they should have been more fanatical given they're basically supposed to be religious zealots. Sure they said others were coming onto their side to save themselves, but I doubt they were in his inner circle.

Also, I didn't like how quick the end was. I mean come on, if we were willing to go in fighting anyway, why did we wait for that very small band of former soldiers!? And then they just shoo us away. Thanks, bye!

The episode had a lot of potential, but just couldn't quite pull it together.

Comment

My take on all the followers' refusal to fight was more of a "It's over and we don't want to get ourselves killed for nothing." situation than quitting because their leader killed someone. Soren's final speech made it somewhat obvious that there was no other reason to fight than to simply die. This was just my observation, this particular situation could be seen a lot of different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten
                  My take on all the followers' refusal to fight was more of a "It's over and we don't want to get ourselves killed for nothing." situation than quitting because their leader killed someone. Soren's final speech made it somewhat obvious that there was no other reason to fight than to simply die. This was just my observation, this particular situation could be seen a lot of different ways.
                  It could be either, but if they were real take-over-the-world-fanatic-types as they were made out to be, neither reason would be enough for them to just give up.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                    I don't think your the minority, i bet there is a whole bunch of people who think the same as you, but are you talking about the whole show in general or S8? If your talking about S8 only, I would think this was the only heavy-Daniel episode so far, unless you count Lockdown, but i think everyone had equal parts in the episode.
                    I was refering to all seasons, excepting the one with Jonas, sorry for not being more specific. (As you can see, I'm relatively new at posting.) It just seems to me that he gets more shows revolving around him than the others.

Comment

spoilers
                      s
                      s
                      s
                      s
                      s
                      s
                      s

<<Because of the lack of time (and probably money):
                      -we didn't get to know the rebel leader before he took over,
                      -we never really got to feel the tension (or understand why there was tension) between the two countries,
                      -we never saw any of the devastation (the only "survivors" we saw seemed to be doing just fine),
                      -we never saw SG1's dealings w/any of the political leaders until the end>>.

Great points here and in other posts helping me figure out what wasn't so great about this episode, other than the obvious, transparent, alien "lonely housewife" theme as an earlier post had it.

I'd love to have had more time with this alien Oliver Cromwell and really develop him as a baddie. My immediate reaction also was: why don't Jack and Teal'c try harder to persuade him the Go'auld are scary vicious parasites? They have plenty of video that would do the trick! (Not that I wanted this to be a clip episode.) The ring-bearers obviously had an idyllic view of the "gods" and no real knowledge of who/what they were. Be careful what you wish for... The effort along those lines was weak at best, although I realize, as Teal'c said, it wasn't a matter of faith but of power.

Thanks to those who spotted a DHD (which I still haven't) -- that bothered me and it's annoying to have to brush it off with, oh maybe they did this or that, manual or naquadah, etc. And the hand signal thing bothered me a little, although it was pretty evident what Sam was indicating. I prefer a minimum of jarring details like that.

Thanks all.

Comment

Everything I feel about the episode has been expressed already except for:

Daniel pretty. Daniel very pretty.
                        Homer Simpson: I'm not a religious man, but if you're up there... save me Superman!

Michael Shanks concerning his character:
                        "O'neil is a warrior, Carter is a warrior, Teal'c is a warrior... somebody has to be the damsel in distress "

Stargate SG1 is my happy place.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorette
                          I was refering to all seasons, excepting the one with Jonas, sorry for not being more specific. (As you can see, I'm relatively new at posting.) It just seems to me that he gets more shows revolving around him than the others.
                          Oh- i understand now Thanks for telling me haha...

Comment

I don't think so... I think there's definetely been more episodes about Jack or Teal'c then about Daniel specifically. Even Carter had her chance to shine, but I don't think MS is hogging all the spotlight or anything. Not that he doesn't deserve it.
                            j/k
                            Homer Simpson: I'm not a religious man, but if you're up there... save me Superman!

Michael Shanks concerning his character:
                            "O'neil is a warrior, Carter is a warrior, Teal'c is a warrior... somebody has to be the damsel in distress "

Stargate SG1 is my happy place.

Comment

Imo, Jack has have more 'Jack Episodes' then the others, well maybe not, but he does get an episode all about him, and hardly the other characters or something, like Paradise Lost, Abyss, The Fifth Race, etc.

Comment

I know I'm in the minority - but my thought after the show was - Well there's another Daniel show. There seem to be an awful lot of Daniel centric shows. I like him ok as a character but I'm getting tired of him being the main attraction.
                                It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. While I was watching I was thinking how nice it was to have a Daniel-centric episode after the run of Sam-centered episodes at the end of Season 7. (Nothing against Sam, I like the character, but she was featured heavily at the end of last year, sort of like Daniel was in the beginning of S7.) I was even more excited to see that it looks like Teal'c may be the center of attention this coming Friday, if previews are anything to go by. I know there are Sam-centered episodes coming up, and we just had one all about Jack.

Anyway, if someone would take the time to look at the seasons, (not going to be me, as it doesn't matter that much) I think they've done a pretty good job of dividing up episodes about individual characters and giving us ensemble episodes. If someone's personal favorite isn't in the spotlight, give it a week or two and that character will get a chance to shine.

Comment

Working...
                                X