Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    Once again, I am surprised at how people react to the Daniel/Leda thing. Sexual attraction? I'm wondering if I missed something, because I honestly saw nothing of the sort...
    Hey I agree. I don't think the attraction was sexual at all. I didn't get any sense of sexual attraction and I don't think I was supposed to either. What there was, seemed to be purely based on neediness, Florence Nightingale Syndrome as you say.

I don't think for a minute her decisions were based on her feelings for him. It seemed to me that if anything one of the reasons she may have developed some sort of bond with him was that what he was saying agree with her own thoughts, her own hopes on the matters they were talking about. In other words, I think the feelings, whatever one wants to interpret them as, followed the thoughts as opposed to the thoughts following the feelings. That is how it came across to me.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
      Would you think you would have enjoyed the episode a little bit better if they changed the sequence of scenes, removing the flashback feel they tried to do?
      I don't think so. I think the flashbacks were fine...it just took me a few moments to realize how much time had passed. Like others said, sometimes it's all too easy to miss those "three months ago" captions. (Heh...and people want translations...heh...oooh, don't go there )

If they had done a linear story starting with the museum appearance, the briefing room scenes and then Daniel going off to "meddle" I think it would have been paced all too slowly. I think starting with Daniel's injury jumpstarted the story pretty well and using the flashbacks kept it moving.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by norriski
        OK, here's a question adn one that's been bugging me for a while, and was really evident in ICON (which as I said earlier I really liked the ep) but what bugs me is that through this episode (all times after the "war") Daniel never had his glasses yet never showed any issues with his vision. Like when Leda takes the wrap off of his eys, he is able to see clearly (at least that what it looks like)...this isn't the first time they do this, Daniel often ends up without his glasses or just takes them off and he never seems to have problems with seeing....so I'm wondering what is his vision problem, are they basically just reading glasses that he use to wearing all the time.....

He was in an explosion, he obviously had some wounds around his eyes. Thus it follows his glasses were probably destroyed in the explosion. You know, unless you've got pretty bad vision, very few people actually need their glasses to just get around. For centuries they managed to do just that before glasses became widely available. Given how they've treated on the show(which is to say they've never made a big thing out of his NOT being able to see without his glasses), I think it is safe to assume he sees noticeably better with them but he can a get around all right without them. He can see the people from 30 ft, he just can't make out the writing on the t-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh

- When Daniel was broadcasting his message to the SGC, why did he bother to use code? Even if the enemy intercepted the message, could they have stopped it from going thru the Gate? It's in the airwaves, how do you stop it? It would be like trying to stop a scent in the air. I thought the danger was in signals being scrambled, but that would scramble ALL messages, not just his. I just thought that was a bit overdramatic.
          Daniel was broadcasting in code(once he made contact with them) so that way if the enemy intercepted the message, they wouldn't know WHAT he was telling the SGC. They'd know he was talking to them but they wouldn't know what he was saying and if they did happen to have some knowledge of Goa'uld(though I'm sure by now he'd know that having spend 6 weeks dealing with them before the war), they wouldn't necessarily know what he meant out of context like that.

As for the DHD, I just assume it was in another room in the museum.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
            To Jelmer & Taupecat-- OK, makes sense I guess. But I didn't think the bad guys knew the message was meant to go through the stargate. It sounds like they didn't have it guarded very well in the bunker or else they would have taken steps to disable it (temporarily at least-- they'd have to enable it again so their 'gods' could come through). Anyway, if they didn't take the stargate into consideration, they wouldn't understand the battle plans and would still have been caught off guard.
            They wouldn't disable it because it was supposed to be sacred to them. Also they really didn't know anything about the gate(in fact it is specifically said by Gareth on meeting SG-1 that they have no understanding of the technology at all), so unless SG-1 informed them that they could stop an incoming wormhole by burying it or covering it with an iris of some sort--they might have figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
              They wouldn't disable it because it was supposed to be sacred to them. Also they really didn't know anything about the gate(in fact it is specifically said by Gareth on meeting SG-1 that they have no understanding of the technology at all), so unless SG-1 informed them that they could stop an incoming wormhole by burying it or covering it with an iris of some sort--they might have figured that out yet.

Yep, my point exactly.

Comment

I really like this episode. The scene with the turists and the gate activation was hilarious. It seemed like a well thought out episode that offered an interesting story, gave us a little something to think about (without being preachy) and we still got a got action scene at the end. I think the episode bodes well for the comming season. Of course it had it's rough spots, but this is being done on a TV budget / timeframe, you can't expect it to be perfect.

Comment

Argh! There's like 160 posts before I even got around to watching Icon(courtesy of squinty-vision ), so forgive me for not reading all before making my own comments.

I came away from Icon with the feeling that I'd just watched a fanfic.

A good fanfic, mind you, with whumped Danny, competant Sam, Teal'c, deep and dangerous, and Jack, getting right into what needed to be done. But if I'd been beta-ing I'd have suggested working on the pacing; it didn't match the gravity of the situation, IMO.

Loved seeing the Gate as a museum piece.

The potential for good action was mostly watered down in the scene where Saron and co. go to Leda's house. I didn't feel at any time that the guys were in danger, though I did think Leda was going to die - or worse.

I liked her answer. Smart lady. (BTW, she also guest stared as the archeologist in season six, Cure)

At the end, when Daniel warned that killing Sauron would make him a martyr I was unconvinced. I wanted that sick feeling - that they had just made things worse by killing Sauron - but just saying so didn't create any dread in me.

Maybe having the bunker guys, seeing their spiritual leader dead, scream some religious slogan and rush into the blazing guns of the freedom fighters would have set that stage, but Sauron pretty much proved to the frightened doubters in the bunker that his faith did not save him and wouldn't save them, either.<shrugs>

At one point when, after months they finally got word from Daniel, I did wonder why they didn't send Prometheus, but then I thought that the Prez couldn't/wouldn't authorize the expenditure for one man, and also, that the Asgard monitor every time the Prometheus uses their hyperdrive. Maybe sending Prometheus to a less-developed world engaged in a war that Earth at least helped precipitate would be frowned upon by the Asgard.

All in all, though enjoyable, I'd rate Icon as my least fav of season 8 eps, and I hope that it remains there.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I've been following that conversation, but I'm not that anal retentive about it. For the purposes of the story, the shotguns and whatever that the locals were using were intended to be of local origin. Thus, I want to know why Sam or someone didn't give Daniel a modern weapon of Earth origin.
                    I is amazing what we can get hung up on, isn't it?

I like the fact that Daniel kept his new... old gun. It gave the feel that he was "naturalized" into the culture of that place. After all, he had been there a few months and had kind of spearheaded the resistance. The old gun in (more technologically advanced)Daniel's hands was perhaps one of the many subtle icons in Icon.
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      I came away from Icon with the feeling that I'd just watched a fanfic.
                      That´s a pretty good description, actually.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I think one of the problems was that while we were being told that there was great devasatation going on elsewhere, our characters were wandering around a beautiful, untouched country estate. It really took away from the feeling of peril for me. I think they needed to show more of what was going on beyond one matte painting of a ruined city.

I don't think there necessarily needed to be more battles, but we needed to see more of the effects of the war. Maybe they could have had refugees come to the estate begging for help, or at least that patrol should have ransacked the house or something. Another route might have been to nix the estate and have them hiding in underground tunnels in the city with explosions overhead - sort of a London Blitz feel.

Comment

I know I'm in the minority - but my thought after the show was - Well there's another Daniel show. There seem to be an awful lot of Daniel centric shows. I like him ok as a character but I'm getting tired of him being the main attraction.

Comment

I don't think your the minority, i bet there is a whole bunch of people who think the same as you, but are you talking about the whole show in general or S8? If your talking about S8 only, I would think this was the only heavy-Daniel episode so far, unless you count Lockdown, but i think everyone had equal parts in the episode.
                            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Daniel doesn't evolve anything in all the Daniel episodes. That's the problem.

Comment

I can do say that MS seems to play Daniel more confidentally though
                                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                                X