No announcement yet.

Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i can remember you did? I don't know, i said i was unsure, so i can't be corrected for something that i wasn't sure about
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

You did say you were unsure, so we'll just say that "I provided the correct information." I'm not trying to gloat or anything, by the way, I'm just having a little fun.
      Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by norriski
        Daniel often ends up without his glasses or just takes them off and he never seems to have problems with seeing....so I'm wondering what is his vision problem, are they basically just reading glasses that he use to wearing all the time.....
        Technically, they're fake. That said, they're also thin, so you could argue that his vision isn't so bad.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt this the first episode with an off world gate that has a moving inner ring?
          There is a discussion earlier in the thread, but I can't remember ever seeing a spinning off-world gate. Not that I'm the expert or anything. I do remember that one of TPTB said in a commentary in S4 that the reason the off-world gates don't spin is because the location prop doesn't spin. I guess if the shot is right these days, they can do it with CGI.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
            There is a discussion earlier in the thread, but I can't remember ever seeing a spinning off-world gate. Not that I'm the expert or anything. I do remember that one of TPTB said in a commentary in S4 that the reason the off-world gates don't spin is because the location prop doesn't spin. I guess if the shot is right these days, they can do it with CGI.
            Maybe it moves because the gate isn't connected to a dhd?

One more question about the first picture in gateworld's episode guide for Icon: of which scenes is it taken??? Did I miss something in the episode? Or was the scene cut?

Comment

It certainly did have overtones of WWII (French resistance, French countryside), and Cold War antagonism between the two countries who distrust each other. And certainly the hard-line fundamentalist viewpoint we see in certain countries today. It was sort of a mish-mash of concepts, which was interesting.

A couple of items which I didn't see on this thread.

- I think the "scenery" of the cityscape was pretty cheesy. I know it's not easy to create a real-looking backdrop on that scale, and it's not a vital part of the show, but I've seen them do it better in the past.

- I too liked seeing Carter in charge. She did very well. You go, girl!

- Why couldn't Leda be a 50-year old woman with a few extra pounds on her, or bad teeth? That would have been real, too. And the Daniel/Leda thing could have been a wonderful caretaker/patient or even sister/brother type of affection. I'm tired of having residents of these planets fall for members of SG-1, and in this case, it was just way too predictable. (And in my case, I didn't think Daniel felt anything for Leda, but he knew she was falling for him, so he tried to be gentle w/ her. I do think they should have shown her giving a good-luck kiss to her hubby at the end when they were going 'off to war.')

- Unlike others, I don't have a problem with episodes that don't include Goa'uld. It's a big galaxy out there, and there are lots of planets that don't have the snaky-things on them. So from time to time we have to deal with other issues.

- When Daniel was broadcasting his message to the SGC, why did he bother to use code? Even if the enemy intercepted the message, could they have stopped it from going thru the Gate? It's in the airwaves, how do you stop it? It would be like trying to stop a scent in the air. I thought the danger was in signals being scrambled, but that would scramble ALL messages, not just his. I just thought that was a bit overdramatic.

Most importantly....

- Where was the DHD on that planet? How did SG-1 get back home???

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                It would be nice to have a every other scene with fighting action with guns and everything, but i'm one of those people who want an equal amount, although this episode obviously didnt , it was good enough for me.

I agree that "talking" can be very dramatic, if done right. The problem was, it *wasn't* done right here, everyone was just having a walk in the park; it lacked "drama". And I got the same feel here as in New Order, where no one seemed very intense about the search for Jack; no one seemed particularly intense or driven about Daniel, either.

Maybe they read the script and knew we'd find him?

J.
                PS In "platonic" relationships (as one post mentioned), you keep your hands to yourself.
                "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                  - When Daniel was broadcasting his message to the SGC, why did he bother to use code? Even if the enemy intercepted the message, could they have stopped it from going thru the Gate? It's in the airwaves, how do you stop it? It would be like trying to stop a scent in the air. I thought the danger was in signals being scrambled, but that would scramble ALL messages, not just his. I just thought that was a bit overdramatic.[/i]
                  It wasn't about stopping the message, it was about Soran's people knowing their plans if the message was intercepted.

When SG-1 arrives and they start walking away from the gate, you can kinda see it in the back corner. But yeah, if you blinked, you missed it and I thought the same thing at first.
                  Anyway I'm sorry, but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                    - When Daniel was broadcasting his message to the SGC, why did he bother to use code? Even if the enemy intercepted the message, could they have stopped it from going thru the Gate? It's in the airwaves, how do you stop it? It would be like trying to stop a scent in the air. I thought the danger was in signals being scrambled, but that would scramble ALL messages, not just his. I just thought that was a bit overdramatic.
                    A very simple reason: Ambushing your enemy doesn't work if they know you're coming. They weren't expecting an attack from both the outside and the Stargate and that's a big part of the reason why it worked, otherwise there would at least have been way more friendly losses.

Originally posted by jyh
                    Naquada generator & manual dialing? Or simply local electricity and manual dialing... There are a couple of other ways aside from DHD's to dial the Stargate. And since we didn't actually see anyone dialing we have no idea which they used, it probably wasn't important enough to spent any of the already very limited 43 minutes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                      The flashbacks. I've seen several comments that it was confusing, or took you out of the story or whatever. I'm kinda surprised at this too, as I had no such problems when I was watching. The flashbacks were conviniently labeled with "Three Months Ago", "Two Months Ago" etc. so I don't see how it could be cunfusing. Wasn't "taken out of the story", either - I wanted to see what had happened. Didn't you guys ever see Godfather 2?
                      You know I don't remember the labeling of "Three Months Ago" or "Two Months Ago" appearing on the screen. I had closed-captioning on and I wonder if that covered up the timeline labels.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by taupecat
                        When SG-1 arrives and they start walking away from the gate, you can kinda see it in the back corner. But yeah, if you blinked, you missed it and I thought the same thing at first.
                        We were answering at the same time I just took another look an there's indeed a DHD shaped thing in the background, but what I'm wondering right now is why no one ever tried pushing any of its buttons... That should have given them at least a clue that there's more to the Stargate than just something decorative for the gods. And if it was depleted, as far as I know earth isn't (yet?) capable of recharging a DHD so that couldn't be the reason.

The only thing that I can think of would be that the SGC instructed them what to look for but that still leaves to many questions about for instance why it wasn't stored with the Stargate as the simbols matched. A weak plot point in the episode maybe...?

Comment

Originally posted by taupecat
                          It wasn't about stopping the message, it was about Soran's people knowing their plans if the message was intercepted.

To Jelmer & Taupecat-- OK, makes sense I guess. But I didn't think the bad guys knew the message was meant to go through the stargate. It sounds like they didn't have it guarded very well in the bunker or else they would have taken steps to disable it (temporarily at least-- they'd have to enable it again so their 'gods' could come through). Anyway, if they didn't take the stargate into consideration, they wouldn't understand the battle plans and would still have been caught off guard.

As for the DHD, you're right, I guess I blinked and missed it. I just remember an episode in an early year of SG-1 when their was general panic because they got to a world and there wasn't a DHD. I guess that's one of the functions of the MALP- to locate a DHD so that SG teams will know they have a way to get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                            You know I don't remember the labeling of "Three Months Ago" or "Two Months Ago" appearing on the screen. I had closed-captioning on and I wonder if that covered up the timeline labels.
                            Could be. Even though SciFi broadcasts in widescreen with little black bars top/bottom, the labels "Two Months Ago" etc. appear on the image itself so it could have been covered by captioning. I don't use captioning and even I missed some of the labels.

Comment

I have CC on and I occasionally noticed the "three months later" or whatever it was thing, but unless you're looking directly at the screen when it appears, you're gonna miss it. I don't think it added a lot, anyway. Even WITH the time jump warning it didn't help to clarify what was happening and the ep still seemed very disjointed and hard to follow.

Comment

I think it's time with set up an intervention with little Damian...

"Now, we all know you like to write it, but we think you need to drop the romance stories... remember the good old days of comedy?"

Might work

Comment

Working...
                                X