Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    It does feel different. It probably should be different, given all that's happened. The question is, is it different in a good way? I'm not convinced that it is...
    If the goodness of the first few eps of S8 were just a fluke and it's all downhill from here, I shall be disappointed. Again...
    Icon wasn't a great episode but I enjoyed it more than several episodes from season 7. It was a standalone episode, not building on any of the established story arcs and sometimes those aren't as compelling unless the story presented is very very good or the original characters and guest actors bring a lot to the table.

The setup in Icon was interesting, loved the team arriving in the middle of the museum exhibit and then everything falling apart on the planet, I just didn't feel a lot of emotional investment in the story. And the problem with Leda developing romantic feelings for Daniel (totally cliched and unnecessary to the story) has already been discussed.

BUT, I still feel like the team interaction is continuing on the same path set out in the first three episodes. It's a much more comfortable dynamic than we were seeing in season 7. As much as I miss Hammond, I think it has been a brilliant move to put Jack in charge of the SGC as RDA's time is being used more intelligently and it's interesting character development to see Jack filling Hammonds' shoes and having to be "the Man". He still gets the best lines:

Crazy fanatic guy: " I see you also revere the great ring"
    General Jack: "Yeah, we love the old gal"

Carter was great in this episode, I loved seeing her lead the team. Daniel was Daniel, but I felt more comfortable watching him *be* Daniel than I did at times in season 7 -- if that makes any sense.

There are always some average episodes in EVERY season. If this is the worst episode of season 8 I'll be a happy camper.
    Last edited by keshou; 07 August 2004, 02:09 PM.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

OK, don't really understand why so any people are stuck on the Daniel/Leda thing...lets face it that is somethig that is nown to happen in RL. She saw hope in Daniel and his faith that his friends could help them...her husband that been neglicting (sp) her, so hey I'm sorry but that was a natrual progression. But when it came down to it she said she trusted Daniel, not that she "loved" him.

That said, I may be in the minority here but I really like this episode. I liked the dealing with the WWII "timeframe" kind of thing looking at some of the what could have happened aspects of that time in our history.

I had no problems with the flashbacks, they were clearly definded to me. I loved that Daniel never gave up on contacting home and that home didn't give up on Daniel...

But the best part for me was the radio conversation ...."Hello....Guys..." "Daniel" then the insueing converstation with Daniel speaking in code and Jack "he's changed comment"....I loved that ...

Comment

Originally posted by norriski
        OK, don't really understand why so any people are stuck on the Daniel/Leda thing...lets face it that is something that is known to happen in RL.
        For me, it isn't a matter of whether or not it happens in RL, it's the fact that it ALWAYS seems to happen on SG-1. The Girl always seems to fall for The Guy (whether it's Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Jonas) and her crush is always the primary motivator for her deciding to Do The Right Thing.

And then there's the fact that Leda is married. I'm getting heartily sick of the whole, "I'm married, but my husband just doesn't understand/love me anymore!" business, too. It feels like that's been cropping up on TV in general these days and I don't care if that "really happens" too, I'm sick of seeing it and I most emphatically do NOT want to see it on Stargate. What purpose does it serve? Why can't Leda help Daniel WITHOUT having to have a stupid crush on him?

Comment

Some people, like me, uses sarcasm as fuel. All females uses their love for us(the men) as fuel

I am correct right? Or did I miss something in school.

Comment

It does feel different. It probably should be different, given all that's happened. The question is, is it different in a good way? I'm not convinced that it is...
            I'm not convinced that it is either. I dont like it as much. I have said this many times before, but I dont really feel for the characters as much anymore.
            "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
              Which I've always thought was a little odd...Daniel, the supposed pacifist, carrying the 9mm and Sam the zat.

Also odd too, how in this episode, Daniel was the one who suggested a resolution that was an armed conflict instead of his usual "let's talk and play nice" maneuver. Looks like he's been hanging around Jack too much.
              Just because Daniel is not a war-monger doesn't automatically make him a pacifist either, because at no point in the series has it ever been stated that he's a pacifist. Plus, he's already in the middle of a war that has been raging for three months, all the major cities have been leveled by intercontinental ballistic missiles, and the main enemy is a fanatic who immediately executes anyone who doesn't agree with him. When he went back originally, it was with the intent to help those people co-operate but he could see for himself that at least two of the factions were not interested in peace. Remember the time frame - he only suggested the armed resolution AFTER three months there.
              To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

For me, it isn't a matter of whether or not it happens in RL, it's the fact that it ALWAYS seems to happen on SG-1. The Girl always seems to fall for The Guy (whether it's Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Jonas) and her crush is always the primary motivator for her deciding to Do The Right Thing.

And then there's the fact that Leda is married. I'm getting heartily sick of the whole, "I'm married, but my husband just doesn't understand/love me anymore!" business, too. It feels like that's been cropping up on TV in general these days and I don't care if that "really happens" too, I'm sick of seeing it and I most emphatically do NOT want to see it on Stargate. What purpose does it serve? Why can't Leda help Daniel WITHOUT having to have a stupid crush on him?
                I think you have touch at the heart of this for me as well. No this moment didn't define the episode and it didn't overshadow the whole episode BUT it sticks out and is being remembered so THAT is what makes it important. It bothered people for their own reasons.

For me it was for these two;
                1) It may very be that a man in recovery will feel something for the woman who took care of him. But it came off as an attraction of a sexual nature IMHO and with her being married I didn't need to see it.

2)it is EVERYWHERE on TV (as Shadow just stated) and I am really tired of seeing it. The ONLY purpose it could have served in my eyes on Star Gate was to show that was the reason the woman did all she did. She may NOT have loved Daniel but she was attracted and Her husband had changed and yadda yadda yadda....it was just more of the same I see on other shows.

The fact that this 30 seconds of TV stands out and bothers me is why it is important IMO. There were many things I enjoyed about the episode and I stated those in another post. And I really have no issue with romance on SG as I am a shipper and I like romance but not in this manner, Daniel doesn't have to be in a love triangle to be compelling in a romantic situation.

I think what bothers me about this as well is that the writers feel compelled to resort to these gimmicks rather than just be straight forward
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Another thing I wondered... at the end, when the SGC team meets up with Daniel's crew... how come no one brought an extra gun for Daniel? I mean, yes, the shotgun or whatever he was using was very nice, but would he be more familiar with Earth weapons?
                  They were Earth weapons, some were very old but they were Earth weapons. M1 Garand, PPSH, PPS, AK-47 were the ones I noticed.

All in all I thought it was alright, it was nice to see a culture that similar to ours. Even if they are to lazy to make their own weapons.
                  I didn't really care all that much for the romance though. Daniel dosn't need a woman on every planet.
                  Church: Well than just get over there and yell bang bang bang.
                  Doc: I don't know even that sounds pretty aggressive...
                  Church: Oh come on!
                  Doc: ...Besides I'm not supposed to get involved unless someone gets hurt.
                  Church: Huh, I see. (Raises pistol and shoots) Well, looks like Caboose has hurt himself. Maybe you should go over and help him Doc.
                  Doc: You know you could have just asked nicely.
                  -Red vs Blue
                  Teal'c: "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
                  O'Neill: "Napoleonic power monger."

Comment

Originally posted by Yosho
                    They were Earth weapons, some were very old but they were Earth weapons. M1 Garand, PPSH, PPS, AK-47 were the ones I noticed.
                    I've been following that conversation, but I'm not that anal retentive about it. For the purposes of the story, the shotguns and whatever that the locals were using were intended to be of local origin. Thus, I want to know why Sam or someone didn't give Daniel a modern weapon of Earth origin.

Comment

I've been following that conversation, but I'm not that anal retentive about it. For the purposes of the story, the shotguns and whatever that the locals were using were intended to be of local origin. Thus, I want to know why Sam or someone didn't give Daniel a modern weapon of Earth origin.
                      Who do you ask to carry the extra weapon into battle? And the ammunition, for someone you may not run into immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        Who do you ask to carry the extra weapon into battle? And the ammunition, for someone you may not run into immediately?
                        I was always under the impression that folks tended to carry "backup" weapons in case one gun jammed or ran out of ammo or something. Or heck, take it off a dead guy (if there is one). I've seen it- or something similar- happen in lots of movies and TV shows. Granted, the person being given the weapon usually doesn't have one of his own at the time, but... *shrug* Whatever. It was just something I noticed. Unless people are going to keep carping about the "local" weapons being of "old Earth" origin, then I don't intend to make a big deal out of it. I only wondered...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                          Also, if Daniel was the one that communicated his plan for them to attack at the same time, they (SGC) would probobly just assume that he would have one of their weapons or something.

As for the rest of the ep. (I just watched it this morning because I just got home and had to tape it -it just isn't the same...)

I enjoyed watching this episode. While I agree it wasn't their better episodes it did have some things that I liked about it. I wasn't too fond of the flash backs, I think they interrupted the flow of things. (It wasn't confusing to me). I think they would have had a more interresting and dramatic show if it had been done liniar.

I did like the whole premise for the episode though. It made you stop and think how easily things can become out of balence in the world. I also loved the part where Daniel finally got thru to SGC and started talking in code. It just amused me for some reason.

Overall, a good ep. not a great one (but not bad either.)
                          Daniel:Nyet
                          Jack: Daniel?
                          Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
                          Jack: Nyet???

Comment

If i were to rate this episode from 1-10, i would think it would be around a 6.5 or something.
                            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

As I have said before, goo episode except the fact they had shoty props....I bet they went to some mueseum and 'rented' a few M1 Garands from WWII. The same rifles the military personal had in "Icon" were used by infentry men in WWII......

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Comment

The weaponry really didn't bother me, I liked the episode all around. Like Shadow, I think it was just the whole Daniel/Leda thing that made me just want to smack someone (Daniel ). I mean, it was nice to see Daniel have a chick... but, I kinda want to see him on his own for a bit, and without having to rely on sexual attraction to get his way. Did it seem like that to anyone else? I mean, he knew that she liked him... right? Hence the "wrong signal" ness that we've been talking about. So... the only motivation I can see would be that he knew he needed to get back and off the planet, and since she was there and throwing herself onto his feet, he just kinda went "Can we get this over with so I can forget about it as SOON as I get back?"

Hm... rating, though. I think I'll give a rating of a 7.8. IT wasn't the best, and some things irked me, but it a good Daniel-centric ep. I just wanted less angst and fluff, and a little more Daniel trying to use his brain.

Then again... God gave men enough blood to run only ONE at a time... *sigh* -_-;;
                                Urgo: *Wff!*
                                Daniel: Woof?

Daniel: *muffled* Dis ith da beth pae I'b ever had!

Jack: And Daniel said he wanted you to go with us to make sure this works?
                                Daniel: I didn't say that.
                                Nick: Yes!
                                Jack: Okay!
                                Daniel: Nick! You're taking advantage of me!

Weir: That's the bright side?
                                Daniel: More of a slightly less dark side...

Comment

Working...
                                X