Icon (805)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my comments...

I actually rather loved this episode, but I'm a Cold War historian by trade and it played to all my personal loves. Could have done without some of the swooning over Daniel thing, but that's a classic element in stories about war and nurses. Could have been worse though.

So, particular points....

* Loved the tourists and the MALP, sooner or later they needed to come out in museum, I only wish they'd actually walked out to meet the tourists instead of waiting for dignetaries.

* Loved seeing Carter in charge, and being in charge as a soldier. She looked more comfortable this time than in the brief scene in Zero Hour. They did the military tactics in the take over of the base really well. It seemed quite belieable to me.

* As a general point of interest I saw the following weapons. Kalashnikov AK 47 (early model, looked like a milled reciever), PPSch-41 (Soviet made submachine gun, famous for looking like a farm implement), PPS-43 (Soviet made submachine gun, famous for it's role in the Siege of Leningrad), M1 Garand (US made self loading rifle, standard infantry weapon in WWII and Korea). Based on this, and the fact that the two nations had missile technology, but not nuclear weapons I'd be willing to place their tech at about 1947.

I don't have a particular issue with the use of earth guns as props, it gave a nice feel to the episode to me. My only comment was the actors must have been dying from holding the Garand that way. I used to competition shoot that rifle and I'd have NEVER tried to fire or move that way, but than again, it's hardly a close combat sort of weapon.

In general, not a great episode, not a horrible one. Wasn't a waste of my video tape.

Comment

That's quite viable, and probably what they do. I just noticed that the Gate in the show spins in the episode. Personally, I don't care how they do it, so long as it looks cool and gets done.
      Urgo: *Wff!*
      Daniel: Woof?

Daniel: *muffled* Dis ith da beth pae I'b ever had!

Jack: And Daniel said he wanted you to go with us to make sure this works?
      Daniel: I didn't say that.
      Nick: Yes!
      Jack: Okay!
      Daniel: Nick! You're taking advantage of me!

Weir: That's the bright side?
      Daniel: More of a slightly less dark side...

Comment

Ok everytime I heard the name Saron (sp?) and all that I was like...suddenly expecting a litle Hobbit to pop out with a Ring. I swear, i could not get that out of my head!

Other than that, and the fact that I missed the first 20 minutes, i liked it.
        "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Bill Watterson

Comment

If the tech level is around 1947, does that mean that the Goauld took humans from around that time to colonize that planet? or is it just a parallel development pattern?

Comment

Has to be parallel development, since they mentioned the legends of their gods were thousands of years old in the teaser.

Also, just a few days ago, a rerun of "2001" showed a spinning offworld gate -- not uncoincidentally, a CGI one. (It even did the SGC's modified dialing sequence, since the Aschen didn't have a DHD.)

Comment

Humans on lots of planets developed long past the level they were at when the Goa'uld took them. PD was done better here than it was in some other SciFi series I shall not mention where it equaled identical developement. Essentially, there are logical steps from one technological developement to the next.

Without a world war to drive the need for the massive expenditure of a nuclear program than I can see why they might, say, have a ton of A4/V2 type rockets with high explosive.

Submachine guns follow logically from Self Loading rifles, and Assault Rifles follow from Submachine guns.

Comment

While the gun technology follows a logical sequence, I don't think the design would be an exact replica of earth weapons right?

Comment

No, but gun tech of that level is harder to make props for than "fake future weapons." Suspend your disbelief. IT's called a budget.

Comment

Other than the pre-stated issues with the "woman defined by her libido instead of her reason" cliche...

I have one big question. Anyone want to verify why it's called "Icon"?

I'm assuming it's because the gate's an icon for them just as the cross is for Christians, but I have a nagging feeling that I'm overlooking something...
                    "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
                    "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
                    "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
                    --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Originally posted by MadJaffa
                      I don't remember ever seeing it spin before.
                      If i can remember, they did show in the S7 premiere the gate on Kelowna, but i'm not 100 percent sure about the whole spinning.
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                        If i can remember, they did show in the S7 premiere the gate on Kelowna, but i'm not 100 percent sure about the whole spinning.
                        I don't think it spun on Kelowna (or Langara, whatever you prefer), because they have a DHD. Which means an "Icon," it didn't spin because they didn't have a DHD (or at least I didn't see one.
                        Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          I thought offworld, outside gates didn't spin because they can't make a working gate that breaks down into pieces for easy hauling to location shots. The one in the studio is the only one that actually "works".

Or that was always my understanding of it.
                          I'm thinking CGI.
                          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                            I don't think it spun on Kelowna (or Langara, whatever you prefer), because they have a DHD. Which means an "Icon," it didn't spin because they didn't have a DHD (or at least I didn't see one.
                            Oo- i misunderstood what the person was talking about, i understand now

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                              Oo- i misunderstood what the person was talking about, i understand now
                              I'm happy you understand now (nice avatar by the way, though Camulus was MUCH more original than Jonas).
                              Rocky

Comment

Another thing i wanted to see in this episode was the other country, not just the religous evil dude and the country he was taking over.

I like my 4 people, Jonas, Camulus, Daniel, and Amaterasu, many many more

Comment

Working...
                                X