No announcement yet.

Grace (713)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse then this was maybe just Emancipation ....
    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I don't know what to think of this episode, its good but at the sametimes its not.

True Love! <3 True Love! <3

Comment

I liked it. I liked everyone trying to help her. I wish we had more scenes with Sam and Grace. It was never quite clear who the child was supposed to be. I always enjoy the Sam/Jacob stuff.

My favorite line was: "Were you this annoying when you were ascended?" ROTFL!

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
          I don't know what to think of this episode, its good but at the sametimes its not.
          Thats how I felt about the episode when I first watched it I quite like it now though, after watching it a second time.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            Just finished watching Grace for the first time. I believe Grace is a persona of the gas cloud as dream Daniel suggested. It was the only one she did not know.
            To me Daniel's suggestion came off as a total Star Trek reference/ joke. They're always encountering sentient clouds or rocks or something. Especially with his delivery of the line.

Comment

Okay, okay, I know I've already posted some stuff on this ep, but to all the naysayers, I can only say: get over it. I like this episode and I'm putting off homework to boot.

I loved this one the first time I saw it, and its my favorite one to catch on reruns. Can't wait until I get Season 7 on DVD so I can watch it without having to search the schedules.

What was good:
              a. Plot. This was completely unlike any other episode, especially given the number of loose ends left behind. Sometimes eps will end too quickly and something along the lines of deux ex machina comes to mind, but very rarely is one ended entirely open for speculation. This was one, and they nailed the amount of stuff that was left unsaid. Not too much, and not too little.
              b. AT. She was brilliant. It's not often that we get to see another side of her character, and AT played it for all it was worth. There's more to Sam than Major Carter; she's also Samantha. As a side note, I liked her hair.

c. The gas cloud. V. pretty! I know that a lot of people have (strenuously) complained that we never discovered exactly what it was. Who cares? That's not important. Whatever it was turned out to be a blessing and a curse: it forced Sam to take a long step back and reevaluate what was important.

d. Grace. We never did find out who/what she was, but again, who cares? It's open to interpretation. Take some iniative. Think and decide for yourself. Doesn't matter if it's not what someone else thinks Grace was; there is no right answer. Enjoy the freedom.

Anyway, getting back to the subject at hand: my personal opinion was that she was Sam as a kid, but who knows. It could have been the aliens. Or the a child that Sam could have had in a different life. Or some sort of divine presence. Don't know. Was Grace brought on by the thunk on the head? By the aliens probing her cerebellum? Lack of sleep? Crack? Who knows? Point is, she guided Sam through the cloud and brought her out safely. And apparently stayed with her, at least for a little while: remember the song in the infirmary at the end? Point of interest: when I was choosing my avatar, my last two choices were Merrin and Grace. I went with Merrin because she's more like me in personality, but one of these days I'll probably change it to Grace.

e. The visions. God knows who they were. Hullucinations? The aliens' representations of themselves? Sam's wildly overactive imagination? Doesn't matter. They did what they did, and they told Sam what she needed to hear. Maybe not what she wanted to hear, given, but what you want and what you need aren't always the same things.

f. The bubbles. Wonderful imagery. They also made me think of fragility, which I thought was a thread in the episode.

g. The kissing scene. About time! Too few and too far between, but I suppose that's the opinion that comes with being a serious shipper.

h. The end scene in the infirmary. There is so much that can be read into that...ahhh. Makes fic writing absolute bliss.

What wasn't so good:

a. My take on the ending was that Sam decided she still loved Jack. I was midly (okay, not so mildly) ticked when they brought Pete in two eps later...but there's not much I can do to change the mandates of TPTB. In the meantime/until they kill Pete off (pleasepleaseplease), I write lots of alternate universe fics.

There hasn't been another episode that's put Sam in a situation like the one in "Grace", We haven't seen her confronted by...well, herself. It makes sense that she would react differently than she would to, say, an off-world firefight. Plus the fact that she didn't have the slightest idea what was going on. She didn't know if she was a prisoner. She didn't know if the crew had been captured. She didn't even know if she was in fact on the Prometheus. Am I the only one who thinks that it would be natural for her to be more than a little uncertain? In this one, she has no tangible enemy. The questions seem to be coming from inside herself. How do you defend against that, especially when you're not allowed to sleep to get away from it?

Look, it was a strange ep. I'll give the critics that. It didn't really follow in the usual pattern of episodes (character-driven instead of plot-driven; emotion instead of action/adventure; no neatly assembled ending; the list goes on and on). It was unlike anything that's been on the show before. But how is that a bad thing?

Some critics have said that Sam seems weak and girly. Yes, she cries. Yes, she has a few heart-to-hearts with herself. Yes, it reveals a new vulnerablity we hadn't seen before. No, she isn't blasting goa'uld spacecraft into oblivion or waving a P-90. But none of those make her 'weak' or 'girly'. They make her real.

A friend who's reading over my shoulder as I type this says that I'm taking this episode too seriously. I probably am. But what can I say? It's something I feel strongly about. Maybe it's because I don't like to see Sam purely as the perfect girl. Maybe it's because I like to see dimensions to a character. Maybe it's because I psychoanalyze people as a hobby. Take your pick. But if you have a reason to hate, detest, despise, etc. this episode, please don't do so because it's different.

A good episode--a really good episode--makes you think. This one made me think. Hard.

ADDED 12/05/04
              All right, it's been a week and half. Someone please say something!
              Last edited by zats; 05 December 2004, 03:09 PM. Reason: Going smack out of my mind

Comment

Holy buckets, that was long (looking up at previous post). Oops.
                Last edited by zats; 19 December 2004, 10:15 AM. Reason: zats Words of Wisdom II: your school can't throw you out--slaves have to be sold!

Comment

Zats, just a reminder, you don't need a spoiler warning for an episode when you're posting in the thread for that episode.

Rocket4477
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    Zats, just a reminder, you don't need a spoiler warning for an episode when you're posting in the thread for that episode.

Rocket4477
                    Spoiler warning removed. Thanks!
                    Last edited by zats; 05 December 2004, 03:10 PM.

Comment

interesting episode some nice development on carter and was the weapons guys atlantis chevron guy?
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                        interesting episode some nice development on carter and was the weapons guys atlantis chevron guy?
                        certinaly looked like it to me.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

yeh glad im not the only who noticed!
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I've just re-watched this ep and I LOVE it! It's a really great Sam ep, I love the focus it has on her personal emotions, I loved the shippyness in it- I can see why people would say that should've ended the whole shippyness issue but for me it was her trying to convince herself to ger over him- she knew she couldn't find love with him (her dad had just told her about her not loving) so her mind (that's what he was after all) was trying to convince herself that Jack wouldn't mind if she tried to find love with someone else- the other thing that really made it shippy was even as they were having this mini resolution in her mind back on Earth Jack was beside himself with wirry and all angsty and soo on....

Comment

IMO, Grace was Season 7's The Changeling. The Changeling was Season 6's best episode.

BYE
                              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                                Holy buckets, that was long (looking up at previous post). Oops.
                                Yeah quitte long to read it
                                Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                                X