Cure (610)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
    Okay, here's what I need to know, forgive me if this question has been asnwered, my comp is slow ...

How on earth does that gigantic Queen get into a human? Does she drop the egg shell or something? That makes sense. I saw the head lying nearby so .. I guess she molted?
    Here's my theory on Queen Goa'ulds:

While normal Goa'ulds can have any gender of host they want, queens must be in a female host if they want to spawn. Remember, every time we've seen a queen Goa'uld (or Tok'ra) out of a host and preparing to spawn, they had this huge egg-sac thing that looks really gross.

You can't really see it in these pics, but when you pause the DVD it looks like the sac and the symbiote have a fairly clear dividing line, and that they're attached to each other, not integral components. Well. There's certainly no room inside a human for that huge sac, and in Egeria's case she went from that tank in the first pic straight to a human host. So the egg sac must be detachable. Now, if they don't have an egg sac while in a human host (and certainly, Hathor's trim figure had no room for one! Neither did what's her name who became Egeria's last host in "Cure"), what do they use instead?

Aha! Human females have an organ that fulfills basically the same function. We call it a womb. So my theory is that the queen just kind of attaches herself and modifies it for her own purposes. This would neatly explain why it was so critical for Amaunet to hibernate while Sha're was pregnant, which otherwise doesn't make sense to me. It would also neatly fit with Hathor's method of procuring the "code of life" from Daniel--everything went where it would have if she'd been a normal human woman, it was just put to a slightly different purpose.

Now, this theory's kinda gross imho, but it fits the facts we have.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
      Seemed odd to me that Jonas didn't get zapped by a symbiote. In other eps, the symbiotes jump into a body at first oportunity. He was in that pool for several minutes. I guess it must have something to do with their minds being blank or something. I guess these symbiotes are stupid. If so then maybe a better question would be why the other guy DID get zapped .
      Maybe there's varying degrees of stupidity?
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
        Here's my theory on Queen Goa'ulds:

While normal Goa'ulds can have any gender of host they want, queens must be in a female host if they want to spawn. Remember, every time we've seen a queen Goa'uld (or Tok'ra) out of a host and preparing to spawn, they had this huge egg-sac thing that looks really gross.
        A good example of a queen spawning without a sac is Hathor in S1 episode by the same name. But she need a water for the symboits to spawn into.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
          I believe it is 4. Hathor, Egeria, Ammonet, and one unnamed queen in a later story.
          Wouldn't Isis count? I mean Osiris definitely referred to her as his "queen" in Summit. Though that could just have been a figure of speech or something I guess.

I thought this episode would be another "an alien race offers something to SG-1, but there's a catch" at first, but I really liked the Egeria revelation. It was too bad she died so quickly

One question though: was Egeria's new host really happy about dying with her? Perhaps she thought Egeria being extracted to allow her to live wouldn't be a very dignified death. Still a bit tough on her though.

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

Comment

Originally posted by Celsius
            Wouldn't Isis count? I mean Osiris definitely referred to her as his "queen" in Summit. Though that could just have been a figure of speech or something I guess.
            I'm pretty sure that Janet confirmed the Isis symbiote was a queen, but if we're counting the daed there's also Cleopatra.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by NORCALJJ
              can you amagine the WAY different direction the show would have taken if she would have lived? The Goa'uld would be getting their @$$es kicked hard core....
              Yeah... i was actually cried when she died
              so now the Tok'ra are extinct race

Comment

I liked this episode. I too was thinking either she should have been revived somehow, maybe being in a host or a one time use of a sarc, OR she should have birthed a new queen. Then the Tok'ra could increase their numbers again. Also, one option for those people would have been to blend and become Tok'ra with these new Tok'ra symbiotes.

Comment

If you go to the bit where they find the girl on the floor n the original symbiote next to her. Look to your right and oyu see a part of the tank. The Big fat jelly egg holding birth incubator baby rucksack fthing is floating around in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                    I'm pretty sure that Janet confirmed the Isis symbiote was a queen, but if we're counting the daed there's also Cleopatra.
                    Cleopatra as in the fossil Dr. Rothman found in "the First Ones"?

One detail that gives me hope that Egeria will come back is that the Tok'ra carried her through the gate instead of disintegrating her body.
                    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Another great episode from S6 but did we have to call the Tok'ra

Comment

Was a good episode and a good intro to tretonin..............did anybody else notice that the stargate's "water" at the end seemed unusually dark???

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                          Okay, I know this is a stupid observation/question, but when the guy was treading water and then is suddenly yanked down under and submerged. Just who was doing the yanking? (Or at least getting “pulled” under is how I interpreted what happened.) Last I looked symbiotes didn’t have hands. Guess they grabbed him with their fins or whatever you call them. Sorry, I know that’s not a serious question to prompt a serious discussion, but I just found it funny and never thought about it before until I watched it again today. Any ideas how all those little symbiotes “pulled” that guy under?
                          I was wondering the same thing!

I quite like this episode. The only thing I found distracting was the music since much of it is so recognizable as coming from "The Curse" along with a bit from "Meridian" and it kept making me think of those episodes. This is the only episode where I've found the music less than great. Also, there's a point near the beginning where Jonas and Teal'c are walking along and it looks like Teal'c is about to crack up (in laughter)....makes me wonder what's going on off-screen.

Other than that, though, I really liked "The Cure". It's one of the only episodes I can think of where there isn't really a bad guy.....just a bunch of misunderstandings. I kind of like it when shows do that as I think that's usually what happens in real life. Miscommunication rather than malice.

Comment

Hello everyone, my first post, and it's a small plot hole spot:

The reasons why Egeria died have been mentioned, but why the female host (formerly Kelmaa's)? She was healthy, and the Tok'ra don't kill their hosts if they die. So why was she being carted through the stargate with a sheet over her head? If she'd lived, another symbiote could have blended and gathered the memories of both Kelmaa and Egeria.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewaller View Post
                              Hello everyone, my first post, and it's a small plot hole spot:

The reasons why Egeria died have been mentioned, but why the female host (formerly Kelmaa's)? She was healthy, and the Tok'ra don't kill their hosts if they die. So why was she being carted through the stargate with a sheet over her head? If she'd lived, another symbiote could have blended and gathered the memories of both Kelmaa and Egeria.
                              I think the symbiote has to make a conscious and physical effort not to take their host with them. Maybe Egeria was too weak by that point, similar to
                              Threads spoiler:
                              Spoiler:
                              Jacob's explanation with Selmac.

Comment

I'd go with that. Egeria was already dying by the time Malek and Kelmaa first encountered her and still thought she was a Goa'uld queen. The chances of her being strong enough to keep Kelmaa's host alive as she died were minimal. Admittedly the best explanation doesn't materialise until season 8 (hence the spoiler tags ^); but given that, when Jolinar died, she had started out in full health, and that Sam actually says that Jolinar sacrificed herself to save her, it's safe to assume from this that to do so requires a conscious decision on the part of the Symbiote - and, given that they were both hovering on the verge of death at the time, some effort. Egeria's weakened condition presumably robbed her of the ability to make that choice.

It was quite remarkable that Kelmaa's host was also willing to make that sacrifice. I suppose the two of them were so well blended that she didn't want to exist without Kelmaa and was prepared to take on Egeria because then it wouldn't be long before she followed her former symbiote.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X