No announcement yet.

Meridian (521)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think you are right on that part.
    But it's clear, at least by one measure, Stargate Universe is going out with a social supersonic boom.

Comment

Pretty interesting how a person's personal career choices can be written into a story episode involving all the other actors.
      Rather creative and interesting that the producers and writers were willing to accomodate Shanks in his apparent desire to leave the show........

Comment

Watched this ep at my/my parents place back in Teddington.Also rewatched it when working on a fiver for it a year or so later.

1. OK, pretty much everyone who was in fandom at the time can remember the feelings when it was announced that MS was quitting. For me it was a jaw dropper but by the time the ep aired in the UK we'd become used to it.

2. First impressions on Jonas....hmmm...I was looking forward to getting to meet him and wasn't sure what to make of the guy at first, at this point S6 was looking like a bit of a gamble.

3. The big laugh is in the idea that everyone knowing he'd come back. Fact is, this was S5 people. Babylon 5 had only lasted for five seasons, S6 only got confirmed late on due to a change of US network, S7...I was honestly not looking that far ahead. It was getting to the stage that I was going to enjoy the ride for as long as it went on for but I wasn't going to curse TPTB is it got cancelled. As far as I was concerned, this was "seeya around Doctor Jackson"

4. Oma De Sala, some very useful advice in there but hard to remember when you're where Daniel was at mentally.

5. Oh boy this set off some insane fan reaction...

Looking back, it was a very interesting ep but I was just wanting to get it out of the way first time round as Gate took a leap into the unknown.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I've read through the first four pages, but I didn't see my question and I'm sick, so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered.

When the radiation was released, and the window was shot out, why oh why was Jonas not affected? Everyone else is dead or close to it, but Jonas is standing there all hale and healthy?
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

This was just a damn good episode, and a sad one at that.

So Daniel is now an ascended being because he "died." We have another traitor (Teal'c and now Jonas) in our little program.

This was easily a top 5 episode from the 5th season. I would say top 25 of the series, but I remember how I have that list done.

Tomorrow, it's the end of this segment in our journey, the finale to the 5th season, and the final episode to air on Showtime. We also see Anubis for the first time.
            sigpic

Comment

One of the top episodes of Stargate, it always gets me to see Daniel dying horribly in this episode. A great episode that gives Daniel the heroic death after a selfless act to save millions of lives, it couldn't have gone down any other way for him.

I didn't know he was leaving the show as I was one to avoid spoilers and any info even when it aired later in the UK where I lived at the time. So it was a really shocking episode for me first time round. I thought, wow, they do kill off main characters! So at least I had the benefit of that surprise on watching it first time before learning he was coming back a bit later on.

I have to say, I too have wondered how Jonas Quinn avoided radiation poisoning with standing there in front of the broken window, the other scientist had run and shut the heavy iron door behind him even when the glass was still intact after the device released its deadly radiation burst in the containment area!

However, I feel these inconsistencies tend to be overshadowed as the tragedy of Daniel's death unfolds. Luckily in the world of Sci Fi no one can be declared dead for sure, ascension is just another cool way for a wonderful character to live on and come back.

Comment

*Sniff*
                Love Daniel, hate this ep...
                But at least I know he comes back.

I'm not one of those who dislikes Jonas. I mean, I wouldn't say he's one of my favourite characters, but he's alright. I think it's a few episodes later when they get flooded on a ship underwater or something, and I thought it was so cool that Jonas could hold his breath underwater for as long as he did to get to the control crystals. (But I'll have my memory refreshed soon. )

Anyway,
                My LiveJournal post
                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

One of the sadder episodes for SG1 although I think Heroes is sadder. Its not just because Daniel dies (lets not spilit hairs of what acension is) that makes it sad. It is also how died. The way her bursts into that lab and removes the core without once thinking of himself that is sad. He died in an attempt to do what he thought was the moral thing. Thier is not a truer way for Daniel to die because that is the escence of his character. It is also watching the slowing wasting away and the people he cares saying goodbye. I especially like Teal'c as he stays strong but you can also see he too is sad to lose Daniel. Jonas just annoys me in this episode in how he denys everything that goes on. Yes he has a change of heart at the end but he just annoys me in how he villianfied SG1 which is weird because I love Jonas and am still bitter what they did to him in S7
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

It is indeed a sad ep. But a very good one as well. I like Jonas, but I like Daniel so much more. Good thing he isn't away for too long.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shol'va16 View Post
                      Hey i was really sad to see daniel go yeah and everything but i want to know is does anyone know that sad music that comes on in the backround is called

i just love that music and i know its in a number of episodes

but what is it called

shelkek nemron
                      Does anyone know what this track is called and/or where one can find it? I'm in love with this track and desperately want to find it. Been searching for hours and found nothing.

Comment

This is a great episode. I hate the fact that Daniel dies, but it was done brilliantly. It is a nice way to honour Daniel, the way he dies doing the ultimate selfless act. And it gives some very nice emotional scenes for the actors / characters who will continue to be a part of show.

To me Jack did not seem unemotional although he didn't show much feeling. Not showing your feelings is not the same as not having them and I think RDA did wonderful job portraying feelings that were not spoken about, but were obviously still there. It's also because he is the one to whom Daniel tells his wish, he has more assurance about this truly being Daniel's wish and he really knows Daniel is going to a special place (even if he doesn't know what that special place is). So to me his reaction was very well balanced. Also in the end of the the next episode, season finale, in the end when there is some kind wind in the base, he is the only one who realises it is Daniel.. Well, actually, it's a matter of belief, but I think both him and the audience believe the same thing..

This time, it's not too difficult for me to deal with Daniel leaving, because I know he is coming back. I'm only about to start (re-)watching season six, but I do remember that in the end I do like Jonas.. But he still can't fully replace Daniel..

Teal'c's emotional scene was very touching, because we don't really see him showing emotions too much..

Someone commented this should have happened in the season finale rather than the second last episode. I think it's good how it's done, so that in the season finale the characters and audience can start dealing with the fact that the series will continue without Daniel (at the time it was done, nobody knew he would come back), and in season six Jonas gets introduced, not as a character, which happened here, but as a new member of SGC and SG-1. I don't remember how that happens (will start S6 today or tomorrow), but it was better to have the season finale as an episode with the three remaining SG-1 members.

Comment

The saddest episode of all, i cried the first time and weeped all the following times. But i always had a feeling that Jackson will return.
                          Originally posted by GateGhost View Post
                          Why is it episode called Meridian?
                          My guess that the name of the episode Meridian means the border between life as we know and something greater. So yes like the "imaginary" line across the earth, but in this case the line between our mortal life and something greater or beyond. Daniel was standing on the edge of that line and chose to move on to the beyond(Ascension in this case).

I read someone asking what the theme playing was, but i lost the post appearently lol. Its made by Joel Goldberg , who is sadly dead now(as of 29 april 2012). Just google it, you will find all his work.
                          RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

No this wasn't fantastic.

I'm gonna miss Daniel.- Oh thanks for all the spoilers

Comment

Originally posted by Zaany View Post
                              I read someone asking what the theme playing was, but i lost the post appearently lol. Its made by Joel Goldberg , who is sadly dead now(as of 29 april 2012). Just google it, you will find all his work.
                              Goldsmith, not Goldberg.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

A fitting end to Daniel's story... I know, he's coming back but it nevertheless remains a beautiful ending.
                                Lots of very emotional stuff going on. Carter brought me closest to tears when she's talking to Daniel.

Oma brings the riddles.

BUT...

OMGoddess, I so love Jonas... he's so eager to learn and to explore. I love, love him. I just wanna squish him, and call him my squishy. Can I keep him? I can for one season only but I can.

I was sad to see Daniel go the first time I watched this, but now that I know what's in store, not so much. Yet, the episode remains very good and high rated in my personal favorite scale.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X