No announcement yet.

The Warrior (518)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some really funny lines from O'Neill and a few pretty cool looking fight scenes, but overall only an average episode.

Comment

I just watched this episode and I still like it. Season five is overall a little "meh" for me, but there are couple really good episodes in it and this is one of them. Good writing and great acting. That about sums it up.

Comment

Not one of my favorites, but it was cool seeing Sam show off shooting.
        sigpic

Comment

I have to admit, I never really cared for this episode. But I decided to watch it this time looking for some of the deeper (even hidden) motivations of the characters, and I have to say, I got a lot more out of it. There are many interesting points about fanatacism and free will, leadership and demagoguery that are brought out in this episode. So, while it still won't go onto my top ten list anytime soon, I have gained a greater appreciation for it.

One thing for example is the way Katano was able to build up his army using the pre-existing Jaffa cultural value of dying for one's god or one's beliefs. He replaced the physical manifestation of the goa'uld gods with the glory of obtaining kheb. It makes Teal'c's declaration at the end even more compelling. Katano said if you will die for the hope of salvation join me. Teal'c's famous line, "I die free" is very moving, but for his cause to thrive the Jaffa had to want to live free as well. Therefore, when Teal'c won the right to leadership from Katano he said, "If you want to live, come with me."

Comment

It was probably just me, but I felt the SG team to be a little arrogant. They kept saying, "We do things differently..." or "In our culture..." It seemed they did not really respect the Jaffa culture... they basically wanted to convert them to the human way of life. O'Neill complains that Katano assassinates one Gouald after another and absorbs their armies, but he himself has killed system lords. So, the difference is what...???

When it comes to weapon differences, there are pros and cons to each weapon. But, Katano does state correctly that projectile weapons lack the endurance of their energy based weapons. Projectile weapons run out of ammunition frequently, and if no more ammunition is carried, the weapon becomes useless. Hence, why humans are moving towards energy based weapons.

Anyways, I get the point of the episode, but I just wanted to point out that the SG team can be just as arrogant as Katano was.

Comment

The best bit was seeing Imhotep revealed. There were some funny lines, and of course, as a BSG fan it was great to see "Simon" (Rick Worthy) again.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by djtech1982 View Post
                It was probably just me, but I felt the SG team to be a little arrogant. They kept saying, "We do things differently..." or "In our culture..." It seemed they did not really respect the Jaffa culture... they basically wanted to convert them to the human way of life. O'Neill complains that Katano assassinates one Gouald after another and absorbs their armies, but he himself has killed system lords. So, the difference is what...???

When it comes to weapon differences, there are pros and cons to each weapon. But, Katano does state correctly that projectile weapons lack the endurance of their energy based weapons. Projectile weapons run out of ammunition frequently, and if no more ammunition is carried, the weapon becomes useless. Hence, why humans are moving towards energy based weapons.

Anyways, I get the point of the episode, but I just wanted to point out that the SG team can be just as arrogant as Katano was.

Very well stated. I agree completely, and admire Teal'c for standing with his people, inspite of the Jaffa turning out to be a Go'uld.

Bra'tac statement that he hoped that both the Jaffa and humans could learn from their differences was a great one. The Jaffa Master is truly wise.

Watching the Jaffa train was awesome. This is just another episode where we learned more about the Jaffa culture, and those shows are my favorites

"I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
                "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

Although it seemed that SG1 were being contemptuous of Kaytano's methods, in retrospect the suspicions expressed by O'Neil were more than warranted.......
                  On the other hand, I couldn't help but note the slightly less evil nature of Yu compared to the other system lords. He wanted to get rid of Imhotep but was risking losing the opportunity to destroy all the Jaffa and Teal'c among them. Rather interesting........

Comment

While I like the tension between characters in this episode, and I always enjoy seeing Rick Worthy, this is not an episode I enjoy. Too much boring Jaffa stuff, very silly fight sequences with dumb "dynamic" camera moves which don't match up properly with the rest of the footage.

My favourite part is probably Sam demonstrating the P-90, that's good fun.

RATING: 6 out of 10
                    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

What happens to all those Jaffa refugees going through the gate? Were they the only people living on their planet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                        What happens to all those Jaffa refugees going through the gate? Were they the only people living on their planet?
                        Most likely got sent to another planet after going to the SGC.

Or you can make up your own notion of where they got sent, since nothing is ever mentioned about them again.

Comment

IMHO it would seem to be a major plot hole if Teal'c never has contact with any of these brave Jaffa again, as if they don't exist when they do!

Comment

IMHO it would seem to be a major plot hole if Teal'c never has contact with any of these brave Jaffa again, as if they don't exist when they do!
                            There's no reason to believe that Teal'c never had contact with any of them again. After all, there are only so many stories that could be told on the series, and the writers figure the viewers are smart enough to realize that things happen offscreen - like Teal'c (or more likely, Bratac, since Teal'c was so much more involved with the SGC at the time) undoubtedly tried to recruit many of these guys to his cause even if we didn't get to see it. We don't have to have more episodes focussed on this issue just so we know without a doubt that Teal'c had further contact with them.

We never heard anything more about some of the other cultures after they showed up in a single episode, but it doesn't mean the SGC never had contact with them again.
                            Last edited by hedwig; 07 December 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

We find out in 'Allegiance' that they set up base with the humans at the Alpha Site.
                              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

At some point I put a VHS into my Halls of Res machine.

1. It was the first time we'd really seen a rebel Jaffa "movement" and the basic idea was cool enough.

2. I think realistically, you can't blame Teal'c for wanting to stay with his 'brothers', I mean looking back it's a bigger surprise that he stayed with the SGC for as long as he did.

3. K'Tano turning out to be Imhotep - woah, didn't see that coming first time round.

4. Rewatching though, it seemed as though it was way too obvious.

Pretty good ep.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X