No announcement yet.

Between Two Fires (509)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You never know, our little demonstration of proficiency in operating an Ancient weapon of jellyfish-powered destruction might have persuaded them to open up trade. That'd be the proof in the pudding that we can handle the big guns, wouldn't it? But it's a little late to find out now.

Comment

Personally, I never liked the Tollen, and found myself not caring when they got wiped. Shame about the cat, though.
      sigpic

Comment

I liked this 4th and quite possibly last episode with the Tollan. I think the music at the end, when Nareem's message was cut short, was so moving. I loved this episode.
        Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I love that Narim was more shocked that his government would lie to him, than that his friend was murdered.

Comment

IMO one of the best episodes of (still IMO) a not so great season.
            I liked "Between two Fires" flair of intrigue. And the camera work was very different from that what we get usually on Stargate, very good and interesting IMO.
            That it had (other than many season 5 episodes) the complete team working together is another reason why I like this episode.
            The only big negative point about it is for me the destruction of Tollan and Narims dead.
            Another interesting story-arc cutted off for... nothing! And that it happend in a surprisingly good episode was only a little comfort.

Comment

I thought Narim's voice command system with Sam's voice was kind of cute. I don't think he and Sam would have worked out though. I don't think she'd like to be the "cute primitive" half of the couple. She'd be kind of like Shar'e (sp?) to Daniel in the brains department, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                I liked this 4th and quite possibly last episode with the Tollan. I think the music at the end, when Nareem's message was cut short, was so moving. I loved this episode.
                Yeah, I'm sure it was the music from 'A Hundred Days'. I think that music is some of the best of the series.

Comment

Tollan's justice system is very much like our own, at least in concept. However, they have a far (at least IMHO) superior open governmental structure, where the conduct of the governing body is, supposedly, constantly subject to public scrutiny. Ironically, it was Tollana Council's reversion to secrecy, and the public's complacency to allow it go unchecked, that signaled the downfall of their civilization. Makes one go "hmm …," doesn't it?
                  Very well said...this echoes my own thoughts about the politics of this episode.

I suspected Anubis was who Tanith was working for, nice to see that's confirmed...right?

I was sad about the destruction of Tollana, because I really liked Narim and well, we need all the allies we can get!

I also found the Sam-voiced home device Narim had very amusing, and I especially enjoyed Sam's reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                    I also found the Sam-voiced home device Narim had very amusing, and I especially enjoyed Sam's reaction.
                    I thought it would have been quite cute for Narim to have spent the whole journey to his flat cringing inside because he hasn't had time to change the voice and now Sam's going to hear it - how embarrassing is that?

Aww, bless.

It was a shame that the Tollans were so comprehensively whupped in the end; but it's an object lesson really, isn't it? I suppose the shock they had in 'Pretense' woke them up to the realisation that, without those Ion Cannons, they're pooped. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough time to sort out any backup before Tanith turned up and proved they were pooped.

That's the trouble with technology - it not only makes your life easier, it makes you lazy and complacent too. Imagine if Tanith came along and disabled your microwave. You'd have to go back to popping popcorn on the hob! The horror!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
                      That's the trouble with technology - it not only makes your life easier, it makes you lazy and complacent too. Imagine if Tanith came along and disabled your microwave. You'd have to go back to popping popcorn on the hob! The horror!
                      Yeah, I'd go along with that, 'cept the episode doesn't bear it out. It's not like the clever Tau'ri found a way to beat Tanith; they just talked Narim into sacrificing his race to prevent Anubis gaining his superweapon.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I agree with the few people that have said the weapon should have just been "phased" through the shields to blow up the goa'uld... I'm sure they could have figured out some way...

I just don't get that SG1 could leave them to be reamed... they belted the replicators for fork's sake.. and how many other shirtloads of time have they beaten the odds.. I guess, can't have it the same all the time...

And another thing... Ion cannon's aren't meant to create an explosion... they aren't an incendiary weapon... Confusing in this ep and the previous one where they saved the Tollan... Been shown in nearly every single sci-fi type show that the Ion is an electrical based weapon - why in these episodes does it blow things up??? Understandable if blowing up after a few second or more due to repurcussions of loss of electrical services but not on impact...

Anyway,

my thoughts for the day.

Later!
                        Vows are spoken
                        To be broken
                        Feelings are intense
                        Words are trivial
                        Pleasures remain
                        So does the pain
                        Words are meaningless
                        And forgettable

All I ever wanted
                        All I ever needed
                        Is here in my arms
                        Words are very unnecessary
                        They can only do harm

Comment

Originally posted by Morgasshk
                          And another thing... Ion cannon's aren't meant to create an explosion... they aren't an incendiary weapon... Confusing in this ep and the previous one where they saved the Tollan... Been shown in nearly every single sci-fi type show that the Ion is an electrical based weapon - why in these episodes does it blow things up??? Understandable if blowing up after a few second or more due to repurcussions of loss of electrical services but not on impact...
                          Why not? Sure, in Star Wars the ion cannon is a disabling EMP-type weapon, but where else is that written? The most reasonable assumption with the Tollan ion cannon is that it's a sort of ion railgun, using a magnetic field to superaccelerate a stream of ions (electrically charged particles); on impact these would release their kinetic energy - which for the stream entire would be something in the neighbourhood of goodGODyaw megajoules - into the target.

Ouch.
                          Last edited by Mr Prophet; 22 April 2005, 07:28 AM.
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            Why not? Sure, in Star Wars the ion cannon is a disabling EMP-type weapon, but where else is that written? The most reasonable assumption with the Tollan ion cannon is that it's a sort of ion railgun, using a magnetic field to superaccelerate a stream of ions (electrically charged particles); on impact these would release their kinetic energy - which for the stream entire would be something in the neighbourhood of goodGODyaw megajoules - into the target.

Ouch.
                            Yep. I think that would sting a little!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I thought Narim's voice command system with Sam's voice was kind of cute.
                              i thought it was very cute

love Narim but not the so much the Tollana...
                              very intersting episode, love it.

Comment

Why didn't they just use their spiffy new weapons to defend their world? <sigh> Silly Tollan.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X