No announcement yet.

Red Sky (505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so mad when the guy blew up the rocket. We were trying to help and he acted like such a pig.
    sigpic

Comment

I suppose that would be how it would seem to us - after all we are looking at what's happening from an entirely enlightened, scientific point of view. We know what's causing the problem and are going to have a bash at sorting it out. Whether the K'tau people want us to or not.

Having thought about it a bit more since my previous posts discussing the reaction of the K'tau ultra-faithful, I think there's also a pretty big streak of fear running through their behaviour. We have to remember that the K'tau folk have not reached the same level of technological development and scientific understanding that we have. Their mindset resembles that of pre 'Age of Enlightenment' Europeans, for whom the absolutes of religious faith are far more deeply embedded in the collective psyche. The sun is dimming; they knew one day it would. The time of Ragnarok has come. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

To us, the potential to be saved from a disaster of this magnitude would be grabbed with such enthusiasm that there's a risk of the saviour's hand being pulled off. The K'tau ultra-faithful, however, see this as interference in the inevitability of their journey with the Asgard, and (whether the plan works or not) are probably seriously antsy about the potential impact of such 'unfaith' upon their future relationship with the Asgard once Ragnarok (either now or at a later time if they do manage to stop it) has run its course.

Yes it seems barmy, yes it seems monumentally ungrateful - and to a very high degree it is. But there is also a rationale of sorts behind their actions which stems from a very different point of view, which has been largely disregarded by the SGC in their efforts to correct their screw-up.

'scuse the long post. I do tend to end up thinking on screen sometimes!
      sigpic

Comment

I suppose you are right however I suport what jack did.
        sigpic

Comment

So do I. I'm not saying Jack was wrong to go so ballistic. He was reacting perfectly naturally to a violent act that was barmy to the extreme, left K'tau with (it seemed at the time) absolutely no prospect of rescue and (worst of all) cost lives.

Perhaps, to the uncharitable viewer, there's the issue of the ranking Military Officer on the ground losing his rag - and the spectre of 'unprofessional behaviour' that lies behind it. But Jack is, first and foremost, a compassionate and caring human being. I'm not surprised he threw a wobbler - I think anyone would have. I certainly would.

My point of interest is the mindset behind the actions of the K'tau Luddite-types. Their viewpoint and ours is so poles apart - and it drove them to do something that, to us, seems borderline insane. But they believed themselves to be doing the right thing, nonetheless. I'm not an anthropologist, but it's quite interesting to examine the varying mindset between the secularised SG-1 and the thoroughly religious villagers.

Or maybe I'm taking this ep a bit too seriously...
          sigpic

Comment

You can never take a mission to seriously.
            sigpic

Comment

this
              epsiode
              had one of my
              favote
              jack moments after the rocket was destroyed when jack nearly killed that guy i love his reaction

o and i think it was the
              asgurd
              that
              helped
              out
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

1- who is the guy in your signature and avatar?
                2- I agree definately the asgard.
                sigpic

Comment

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I liked the way how SG-1 realized their mistake and tried to help these people even though they didn't really want help. And I can also honestly say that, out of all the episodes I've seen, this is the most angry I've ever seen Jack get (and I can understand why, of course). I seriously thought he was gonna' kill the guy.

Jared Kane: Do you ever give up?
                  Daniel: Not till I'm dead… and sometimes not even then.

-Ethon, SG-1 Season 9

Comment

I think we all did!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sprectra
                      I actually really enjoyed this episode. I liked the way how SG-1 realized their mistake and tried to help these people even though they didn't really want help. And I can also honestly say that, out of all the episodes I've seen, this is the most angry I've ever seen Jack get (and I can understand why, of course). I seriously thought he was gonna' kill the guy.
                      i wish jack had killed the guy i didn't like him the moment i saw him.

Comment

I'm glad he didn't. That would have taken Jack onto a whole new plane, and I'm not sure I would have liked what he would have become had he gone there.

I don't blame him for going so berserk at Malchus - I think any of us would have. But, despite everything, to have killed the guy would have been outright murder; and all that Jack would have for his efforts on his return would be a cell and a court martial. And you can bet the one thing they are not going to say is 'Well, the guy deserved it - case dismissed.'
                        sigpic

Comment

The guy should have been punished for killing to people who where their for help. WHen you beleifs kill other people you must be punished. Jacks reaction felt very real. I gasped and really doubted for a second that jack was going to let him live.

Comment

True, but both daniel and the other elder were there to plead for salvation.

I am just wondering what would have happened HAD jack killed him.

Comment

An act that he could not come back from.

Comment

I agree. It was something he could never have recovered from either as a Military Officer or as a character.

It goes without saying that Malchus's behaviour was appalling - despite (or possibly because of) his complete conviction that he was morally right - but for Jack to have actually pulped him would have been equally bad. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Despite the deaths caused by bombing the rocket (and the deaths that would follow when the sun died), Malchus was not posing an immediate personal threat to Jack, and to have gone that far would have been impossible to justify after the fact. Gen. Hammond would have had no choice other than to take some form of disciplinary action.

Though I suspect there would have been one outcome that would be practically inevitable - no more gate missions for Colonel O'Neill. I can't see how they could possibly get away with allowing him to return to active duty with SG-1. Whether or not Malchus would have 'deserved it' would not be an issue - it would be the fact that Jack lost his professional control to a disastrous degree while on duty.

So it's probably just as well he didn't kill Malchus!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X