No announcement yet.

2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first post, although I have been a lurker for quite a while.

I finally was able to tape this episode Monday and have to say this is one of my favorites. It has everything...humor, angst, Sgt. Walter , although it never happened .

My favorite part was the very annoying SGC tour guide scene. Did anyone else think Daniel looked like Elwood from "The Blues Brothers" when he said "He's right, It's the Gate room." I'm sure he's channeling Dan Ackroyd (sp?). He had the voice and a little nervous "twitch" when he said that line, plus the hat, sunglasses deep underground, and a tie.

Nobody asked this question...How did Sam know that the note would end up exactly ten years ago? Was it someting to do with the timing or the position and size of the flare?

All in all, a fun episode.

Comment

It was never stated how they mesured the distance of time thorugh a solar flare.

Nor it was explaine in anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by wurlitzer153
        My favorite part was the very annoying SGC tour guide scene.
        Ooh, she was a nightmare, wasn't she? I'm not sure if she was actually aware that there were genuine, 24-carat adults in that tour party, or whether she was actually trained to treat everyone like a three-year-old. If I had a guide like that on any tour I went on, I would need a Zat - just to ensure the sanity of the rest of the known universe, you understand...

Originally posted by wurlitzer153
        Nobody asked this question...How did Sam know that the note would end up exactly ten years ago? Was it someting to do with the timing or the position and size of the flare?
        Probably. When SG1 were transported back to 1969 (in Season 2), that was caused by a solar flare being emitted from the sun at the exact moment the wormhole was passing by. That flare threw them back 30 years.

From this experience, Sam would have known the position and magnitude of the flare - which would have been the reference point she needed to calculate the required reduction in magnitude to correspondingly reduce the gap from 30 years to 10. The chances are that she did a lot more research on the effects of solar activity upon wormholes after their visit to the sixties even if only to find out how active the sun has to be before they have to suspend gate travel to worlds which require a wormhole that could be affected. There's no reason why she shouldn't have worked out a suitable calculation to work that information out while she was doing that research. All she would have needed then was foreknowledge of a suitable flare - which the Ashen computer was able to provide.

Okay, that's a heck of a lot of supposition, but it's plausible - I think.
        sigpic

Comment

I liked this episode. But I kinda thought it was too quick, Sam can't have a child, boom, they lock in on a drastic drop in the birth rate and point at the cause as the Aschen longevity treatment. Would have been better to get a little more info on the Aschen, and why they're doing this. Granted we do get a bit of that from Joe.

Still was a lot of fun.

Comment

Whooooaaaaa. Just watched this ep on DVD, and....whooooooaaaa.

'2010' offered a frightening vision of a possible future, one in which everything SG-1, the rest of the SGC, the rebel Jaffa, the Tok'ra, and countless others have fought for is nullified by a single treaty. When I first read the script, I didn't understand why Jack was so bitter; it took watching the episode to 'get' the concept of everything they'd fought for being made worthless by a decision he'd fought against.

What was good:
            a. Joe. Okay, so he frakking LIED, but the actor managed to pull it off in such a way that I felt a bit sorry for him.
            b. Dialogue. Walter: "What's going on?" Jack: "Everything that happens between now and then." See how little it takes to keep me happy?
            c. The tour guide. "And we're walking!" : "This is the 'embarkation room' because this is where they 'embarked' from!" What a ditz.
            d. Poor Walter. Reduced from Chevron Guy to working at the museum.
            e. Janet. I'd be furious in her place.
            f. Teal'c. Nice touch on ixnaying the tattoo.
            g. SAM! Wow. Excellent acting on AT's part.

...and there'll be more later but my computer's crashing...

Comment

It's one of those 'Be careful what you wish for' moments, isn't it?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum

oh yea

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                  The tour guide. "And we're walking!" : "This is the 'embarkation room' because this is where they 'embarked' from!" What a ditz.
                  The ideal candidate for 'Person you would most like to see thrown into an incoming wormhole 'Kawoosh''.
                  sigpic

Comment

The ideal candidate for 'Person you would most like to see thrown into an incoming wormhole 'Kawoosh''.
                    Yes, on both accounts!

Comment

Annoying though she is, the Tour Guide From Hell does help to illustrate the sheer complacency and almost reckless abandon with which the Tauri have tied their destinies to the Aschen alliance.

Everybody living their perfect, wonderful, wholesome, Aschen-extended lives and visiting the site of Earth's first pioneering forays into a wider Galaxy - turned into a mawkish tourist attraction with the world's naffest tour guides.

It's sort of like a lorry-load of sheep doing the conga into the abattoir...
                      sigpic

Comment

Who picked her to be the tour guide anyway?

Comment

Someone who also deserves to be chucked into an incoming wormhole 'kawoosh', I think.
                          sigpic

Comment

rofl....that's a good reason Chaka's Mum

Comment

Happy to oblige!
                              sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X