The Other Side (402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajay View Post
    ... once again, they fought a war without knowing the full story.
    You mean, how the people in the bunker were committing genocide on the people on the surface?

The "Arian" race considering themselves pure and clean, cloning themselves in order to keep this perfection intact, and to not fall prey to the unclean on the surface fighting for survival and against being exterminated. Looked like they were winning. SG1 just gave them a fighting chance by not assisting the bunker-folk.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      You mean, how the people in the bunker were committing genocide on the people on the surface?
      Right. SG-1 unwittingly joined the war on the side of the "Arians" without fully knowing the details. Then, at the end of the episode, they essentially joined the side of the "Surface People", again not knowing the full details. Who's to say the surface people weren't "evil" in one way or another?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The "Arian" race considering themselves pure and clean, cloning themselves in order to keep this perfection intact, and to not fall prey to the unclean on the surface fighting for survival and against being exterminated. Looked like they were winning. SG1 just gave them a fighting chance by not assisting the bunker-folk.
      I'd be ok with it if it was just a fighting chance they gave to the surface people. But by the looks of it, that entire underground facility was destroyed when the shield generator failed and Jack crashed the fighter plane into it. And in doing so, every one of the "Arians" was killed. Is that not also Genocide in a way?

I'm definitely not on the side of Alar. And I was rooting for Jack to close the iris on him in the end. But something in this episode smacks of hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
        Right. SG-1 unwittingly joined the war on the side of the "Arians" without fully knowing the details. Then, at the end of the episode, they essentially joined the side of the "Surface People", again not knowing the full details. Who's to say the surface people weren't "evil" in one way or another?

I'd be ok with it if it was just a fighting chance they gave to the surface people. But by the looks of it, that entire underground facility was destroyed when the shield generator failed and Jack crashed the fighter plane into it. And in doing so, every one of the "Arians" was killed. Is that not also Genocide in a way?
        Exactly. While yes being "Arians" they were bad wanting genetic purity, but i forget who were the ones who poisoned the surface..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Exactly. While yes being "Arians" they were bad wanting genetic purity, but i forget who were the ones who poisoned the surface..
          It was the 'Aryans', Sam noticed the shafts going up to the surface in the schematics and when she realised what their function was, that's when Alar pulled the gun on her.

Comment

Alar's people themselves pretty much said they were trying to exterminate the other race on their planet simply for not adhering to their idea of genetic purity. I don't think another side of the story was needed when you heard those folk talking about the others. It would have been like trying to reason with Hitler, only worse since many (if not all) of them grew up in that underground facility and were basically indoctrinated from birth.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Why did they have to use whites as the bad guys? Surely they could have used anther racial group as the racists and demonstrate that the act is wrong and not the man himself. This just further propagates that whites are evil by default as even on the other planet this particular switch flicked in them. Maybe somebody preferred the company of whites on set instead.

Comment

Perhaps the writers felt it might stir up too much of an issue if they say went with blacks or hispanics being the baddies.

Comment

The racism in this episode is not dependent on white, black, purple or yellow. It's intended to show that there is "us" and "them." Plus, it was inspired by the Third Reich, which was Aryan and thought perfect was blond hair and blue eyes.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Besta View Post
                    Why did they have to use whites as the bad guys? Surely they could have used anther racial group as the racists and demonstrate that the act is wrong and not the man himself. This just further propagates that whites are evil by default as even on the other planet this particular switch flicked in them. Maybe somebody preferred the company of whites on set instead.
                    Why not the "white guys"? We frequently are the bad guys in real life.

Comment

It's easier this way. If they made the Eurondons another color, there'd be some big and stupid controversy over it. They make them white and no one cares.

sigpic
                      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                        It's easier this way. If they made the Eurondons another color, there'd be some big and stupid controversy over it. They make them white and no one cares.
                        yeah.

but either way, someone(s) will complain.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          but either way, someone(s) will complain.
                          True, that. Look how many people complain that the wrote out the Nox, or never went back to Ernest's planet, or didn't bring back this or that minor character more often.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Good change in O'Neill's attitude - and he admits it. Great.
                            Terrible people, terrible racism and good solution to return home alone.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

That's the thing though. I didn't find it terribly racist what the Eurondans were doing. Maybe stupid (lacking any genetic diversity) but not racist.

Comment

IMO their reaction towards Teal'c definitely is an example for racism!!!
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X