Crystal Skull (321)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    At what point does Daniel know there's nothing wrong with his Grandfather? Clear up until he himself gets sent out of phase, he does not believe his grandfather was transported by the skull.

I don't like the mental hospital, either. I think it should've been an assisted living community with a memory care unit. However, I have seen medicare patients housed in rather inappropriate facilities (not due to level of care or cleanliness) because those are the facilities that will take medicare (in one case, a forty year old was in an old-style nursing home with a lot of very elderly residents while she was recovering from limb amputation surgery).

Seaboe
    Sorry, I haven't logged in a while so I missed this reply.

Nick believes he was transported by aliens - Daniel for years has that aliens exist and have close ties to Earth's ancient history.

So for four years Jackson left his grandfather in a mental hospital knowing that there was at very high probability that Nick was correct all along.

That they had parted on bad terms was a poor reason. Okay, "national security" is a problem but Jackson could at least have attempted to repair the relationship.

Also, the briefing where Jackson first talks about Nick is very strange - he acts embarrassed as though the idea of ancient aliens is weird despite the fact that he believed so fiercely that he ruined his own career.

And once again, O'Neill's (and others) "incredulity" at events makes no sense. Haven't they seen enough at this stage that they should be more open minded about strange possibilities events like Daniel being invisible, somebody else having an alien encounter, etc.

I'm not saying new events should just be another day at work that doesn't phase them, or that they believe every mad idea - but maybe by now when something bizarre happens O'Neill could maybe not use his "doubting" face so much.

Comment

I always thought that Daniel and his grandfather's issues started when he didn't take him in after his parents died, but I could be misremembering it.

As for the level of care, Nick said that he had hallucinated before and it went beyond what happened with the skull, so that would explain the mental hospital. However I imagine that he was allowed some freedom in the facility as he wasn't a threat to anyone.

Daniel wasn't sure what happened to him at first, he starts to realize that his grandfather was also effected by the skull, however he was surprised when the grandfather started talking directly to him. As for the team not believing Daniel to be "invisible" might because they were hearing it from someone who they believed to be unstable. They understandable though he was transported somewhere.
      Last edited by blueray; 19 July 2015, 05:49 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

And even with Daniel knowing what he knew by then, it is still a stretch imo for him to all of a suddenly believe his uncle/grand father.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          And even with Daniel knowing what he knew by then, it is still a stretch imo for him to all of a suddenly believe his uncle/grand father.
          I don't mean he run screaming from the SGC that his grandfather isn't crazy. However, once Daniel had discovered that his own ancient alien theories were now fact, you'd think he at least visit his grandfather to try start rebuilding a relationship, even without actually telling him about the Stargate.

It isn't Daniel's character I'm criticising here, but the story itself because it doesn't match Jackson's personality.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
            I always thought that Daniel and his grandfather's issues started when he didn't take him in after his parents died, but I could be misremembering it.

As for the level of care, Nick said that he had hallucinated before and it went beyond what happened with the skull, so that would explain the mental hospital. However I imagine that he was allowed some freedom in the facility as he wasn't a threat to anyone.

Daniel wasn't sure what happened to him at first, he starts to realize that his grandfather was also effected by the skull, however he was surprised when the grandfather started talking directly to him. As for the team not believing Daniel to be "invisible" might because they were hearing it from someone who they believed to be unstable. They understandable though he was transported somewhere.
            If I recall correctly, Nick did take Daniel in after the parents died and the falling out happen when Daniel was an adult. I think Nick tried to stop Daniel from pursuing the aliens idea, so he wouldn't end up a joke like he was.

And regarding the "incredulity" factor, I wasn't just referring to this episode, but rather the series overall. Yes, it wouldn't make sense to believe the "mental patient" and not believing is necessary for the humour of that scene to work. However, in the show overall, there have been situations where the characters react with doubt or disbelief rather than with "well, stranger things have happened". I'm afraid I can't think of any examples at the moment, so maybe I'll post the next time it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
              I don't mean he run screaming from the SGC that his grandfather isn't crazy. However, once Daniel had discovered that his own ancient alien theories were now fact, you'd think he at least visit his grandfather to try start rebuilding a relationship, even without actually telling him about the Stargate.

It isn't Daniel's character I'm criticising here, but the story itself because it doesn't match Jackson's personality.
              Point taken. BUT maybe he wanted to, but got told no by the Military. Also he spent that two yr period between the movie and the start of SG1 on Abydos.

Comment

Let's face it: your complaint concerning the story is that TPTB didn't think of everything, and didn't do things the way you would have. That always happens. The fun lies not so much in saying "this isn't how it would've happened" but in coming up with an explanation of why it happened the way it did.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Point taken. BUT maybe he wanted to, but got told no by the Military. Also he spent that two yr period between the movie and the start of SG1 on Abydos.
                  No, if it doesn't happen or get explained on screen, then it doesn't happen.

I thought it was a year between the events of the movie and the series? And anyway, he had three years after that working at SGC.

Let's face it: your complaint concerning the story is that TPTB didn't think of everything, and didn't do things the way you would have. That always happens. The fun lies not so much in saying "this isn't how it would've happened" but in coming up with an explanation of why it happened the way it did.

Seaboe
                  No, my "complaint" (and that is way too strong a word) is that they didn't think of something so basic. And yes, this happens all the time.

My comments are constructive criticism. It is a point I wished to discuss and see what other people opinions of it were. That is also fun. And one of the reasons for the existence of this forum.
                  Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 22 July 2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                    My comments are constructive criticism. It is a point I wished to discuss and see what other people opinions of it were. That is also fun. And one of the reasons for the existence of this forum.
                    I guess I don't see what's fun about it when you constantly reject other people's explanations. If that's part of what you enjoy, great, have a ball.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I guess I don't see what's fun about it when you constantly reject other people's explanations. If that's part of what you enjoy, great, have a ball.

Seaboe
                      I'm not "constantly rejecting other people's explanations". I simply haven't seen a satisfactory explanation yet.

The fun is in the discussion and in reading what other people suggestions, whether I agree with those opinions or not.

Comment

When you 'havent seen a satisfactory explanation' how is that different from Rejecting other peoples explanation??

Comment

Perhaps you should make a new thread like: How to discuss properly?

I've got a new point to think and write about: How can the sudden disappearance of the old man be explained to the world outside the SGC???????????
                          CARPE DIEM
                          ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                            Perhaps you should make a new thread like: How to discuss properly?
                            Good thing, you weren't here during the years when the show was on the air still and we fought a lot about various range of topics.

You'd be a frustrated mess.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                              I've got a new point to think and write about: How can the sudden disappearance of the old man be explained to the world outside the SGC???????????
                              Well he was institutionalised, so that right there limits the number of people you have to explain it to. Just tell them he's transferred to another facility, perhaps?

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

I don't think so because I'll never be a frustrated mess - LTS and there are about 30 little and big companions to cheer me up! By the way - my job demands nerves of steel and I've got them!
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X