Crystal Skull (321)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aschen
    I saw this ep today on Scifi yet again, and was wondering...just how the hell do those alien beings know the Goa'uld? They're obviously pretty chill beings...but what exactly are they?
    I don't know how they know the Goa'uld but the credits have a character named Quetzalcoatl. In Mesoamerican mythology Quetzalcoatl is a god, or sometimes a king, that is central to their mythology. I don't know too much about him though.
    Daniel:Nyet
    Jack: Daniel?
    Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
    Jack: Nyet???

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      i'll do it! that could be fun. one question though. shouldn't daniel have starved to death or at the very least been seriously dehydrated? or does being out of phase mean that you're immune to the general laws of biology?
      Danile mentioned his lack of thirst and hunger in the episode when he started thinking that he might be dead...other than that it wasn't really addressed.

I will say that I loved this episode, can really place a finger on one reason why, just loved the way the story progressed, and the little insite into Daniels background.

Comment

Originally posted by crazylinguist
        I don't know how they know the Goa'uld but the credits have a character named Quetzalcoatl. In Mesoamerican mythology Quetzalcoatl is a god, or sometimes a king, that is central to their mythology. I don't know too much about him though.
        I think if i remember, isn't quetzalcoatl somekind of thunder-ish god of some sort???
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Quetzacotl originated as a water god due to the first myth he appeared in, something to do with the him being the feathered serpent of ancient mexico. Somewhere along the way the serpent came to mean a different thing and then he became god of human sustenence, penitent, self-sacrifice, re-birth and get this....butterflies.

Comment

And he must of been a good god at that to have the Gou'ald as enemies.

Comment

*Nitpick Warning*

After rewatching this one again, I noticed that Daniel mentions the skull was carved "against the grain" but there really isn't a "grain" when carving quartz.

Comment

There's a crystal structure though. You'd normally have to cut along that or you'd have bits cracking off all over the shop.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  There's a crystal structure though. You'd normally have to cut along that or you'd have bits cracking off all over the shop.
                  With other materials like kunzite or topaz that is a problem, but not quartz. I've cut quartz at many different angles and the only times I've had pieces breaking off is when I've had flaws, dull saw blades, and too much heat.

Since lapidary technology has not changed in thousands of years (although electric motors and diamond abrasives have made it much easier ) it would have been carved the same way as now, with progressively finer abrasives. (unless the Giant Aliens have some completely new lapidary technology, which I would love to see)

Comment

Oops. Didn't realise I was talking to a pro. Is it definitely quartz, though? I could have sworn it was something funkier.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                      Oops. Didn't realise I was talking to a pro. Is it definitely quartz, though? I could have sworn it was something funkier.
                      It sure looked like quartz with lots of inclusions, and that was what the real crystal skulls were carved from. Today, however you can get skulls carved out of pretty much anything. A friend says skulls carved out of hematite remind him of the Terminator.

Comment

One of my favorite episodes of season three (and there are lots of them in this season).

Great sense of humour through it all. I loved the following:

O'Neill: "Look, Im sick of laying around. Help me up."
                        Teal'c: "Dr. Fraiser believes you are not strong enough to undertake such a mission."
                        O'Neill: "Yeah, whatever."
                        Gets off the bed and falls to the floor.
                        Teal'c: "Dr. Fraiser is usually correct in such matters."
                        Throws O'Neill onto the bed.
                        O'Neill: (muffled) "Thank you."

That scene is just hilarious.

Also, when they're all waiting to see Nick and the nurse asks if they're close, Teal'c says: "Yes, extremely". The tone of his voice is just too funny.

Then there's Rothman, and Daniel's various reactions to the team's efforts, the giant alien and... the list goes on.

There's only one thing I don't like and that's the close-ups of them running across the bridge. Could that look any more fake? I sincerely doubt it.

But it's still a classic episode in my book.
                        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                          One of my favorite episodes of season three (and there are lots of them in this season).

Great sense of humour through it all. I loved the following:

O'Neill: "Look, Im sick of laying around. Help me up."
                          Teal'c: "Dr. Fraiser believes you are not strong enough to undertake such a mission."
                          O'Neill: "Yeah, whatever."
                          Gets off the bed and falls to the floor.
                          Teal'c: "Dr. Fraiser is usually correct in such matters."
                          Throws O'Neill onto the bed.
                          O'Neill: (muffled) "Thank you."

That scene is just hilarious.

Also, when they're all waiting to see Nick and the nurse asks if they're close, Teal'c says: "Yes, extremely". The tone of his voice is just too funny.

Then there's Rothman, and Daniel's various reactions to the team's efforts, the giant alien and... the list goes on.

There's only one thing I don't like and that's the close-ups of them running across the bridge. Could that look any more fake? I sincerely doubt it.

But it's still a classic episode in my book.

I just saw this episode for like the tenth time last night, and I have to agree with everything you said. Another of my favorite part is when jacks says "Hey If you've been listening, Nintendos goes to everything...everything." That line always gets me cracking every time.
                          ~Athena

Comment

I crack up every time I see the look on Janet's face when Nick goes "Jack don't be an ass."

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                              Then there's Rothman,
                              I love Siler's line to him - "I think you're going to get fired".

Madeleine

Comment

Here's something cool to think about....

In this episode "Crystal Skull," we know that Daniel's grandfather is his only living relative, and he calls him by his first name, Nicholas. However, at the very end of the ep, when Nicholas stays on the alient world with the giants, Daniel says what may be his final goodbye, and says "Goodbye, grandpa."

Well.... today I happened to see an episode of MacGyver on TVLand. MacGyver's grandfather Harry, who was his only living relative, is dying or has died, and MacGyver is also injured and stuck between life & death. In his near-death state, he sees his parents & grandfather on a cruise ship, which signifies the afterlife journey. MacGyver has always called his grandfather Harry, and Harry convinces MacGyver to fight for his life because he has a lot of stuff yet to do. MacGyver agrees, and gets ready to leave the cruise ship. In his last moment, MacGyver says "Goodbye, grandpa."

Isn't that odd? In both instances, grandfather is only living relative... each is always called by first name.... when saying goodbye, both Mac & Daniel say the same thing: "Goodbye, Grandpa."

Kewl.

Comment

Working...
                                X